Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Auto dimming mirror/compass/temp in Gen 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Auto dimming mirror/compass/temp in Gen 3

Found my next dress up toy for the 4Runner. Now before you say it I will! I have the HiLux Surf FMU (Field Monitor Unit) installed in my Gen 3, but I have always had an issue with the temp readout being 15 degrees C too low so its a math exercise to get the temp. I digress, during my last forray to the local bone yard where I did find the door panels for my "Limited" project I came across a Gentex 177 auto dimming rear view mirror with temp and compass that came out of a 1999 GMC Suburban. I'm finding out that these are pretty standard among GM and Ford/Lincoln vehicles. Anyway, I was able to get the entire mirror, mount, clip, cover and the entire wiring harness that included the extentions for the side mirrors and the wires that pass through the firewall to the sensor connector (nope, front end was gone so no sensor) for $25, SCORE! There was the exact same mirror in a 2001 Lincoln Continental so they are out there in different vehicles along with some of the more higher end mirrors, with Onstar, Homelink etc.

I have started the process of an install and still trying to figure out if a mod of the articulated attachment is possible so that I can use the OEM mount in overhead of my Gen 3 vice the button mount on the windshield. Worst case I will get some mount adhesive from the local auto parts store and mount the button, pull the OEM mirror and just snap the mirror pillar cover back in place then use the hole in the cover to route the new wires up into the headliner to the A-pillar. Haven't decided which A-pillar to route the wires for the second sensor yet but will mount the sensor on which ever side I pull the A-pillar cover.

I did some initial search here on the forum to see if this had been done already but seems the last such mod or attempt was back in '05, so I think I'll do this and post a write up. Really like the idea of the auto dimming feature and the temp and compass are just extra bonus along the way. Seems the consensus has been that the autodimming mirros are the way to go. Seems the newer Tacos and Runners are coming with them now.

So with that thought in mind, I will be updating this post as it progresses with some pics as well. I will eventually get my other install posts up, geez its been busy these past two months! More to come
Old 09-13-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought you got that temp issue figured out? Wasn't there an internal adjustment or something? Did you ever get rid of that extra sensor you had or did you end up using it?
Old 09-13-2007, 09:40 AM

The Temp issue with the FMU was found to be something to do with the circuit board so I can't do anything to change or calibrate it. I did find an adjustment on the circuit board but it was for adjusting the barometric pressure reading, yeah like you really need that! As for the sensor I purchased, I still have it and attempted to use it on the new mirror. I did hook it up but got a reading of 140 degrees. I don't think it was quite that hot in my front yard here in Washington yesterday evening. I think it is the sensor type so I am on the hunt for another sensor and as these mirrors are in so many GM and Lincoln/Fords I should be able to find a sensor cheap.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 AM

So has anyone done a rear view mirror mod lately?
Old 09-13-2007, 12:17 PM

I'll be pretty interested in this. I was bummed to see that my sisters Xterra had one but my fancy 4runner didnt. Are there any other aftermarket alternatives for a nice ambient temp gauge?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

I'm about to do it. I've been watching ebay and they are still pretty spendy with all the bells and whistles. All I really want is the dimming, temp, and homelink features. I think I'm going to have to check the local yards like you. Thats a pretty good score at $25! I had one in my 06 Tacoma that I installed and it was really easy. You will need to glue the button to the windshield but thats not a big deal. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:59 PM

My Limited has an ambient temp guage on the digital temperature control. I think the sensor is bad but I have no way of checking it. Unless someone can give me an OHM reading off a good one?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:17 PM
SRB

My wife's explorer has the auto dimming rear view and I really like it. I am interested in this too as I would love to have one of those mirrors in my gen 3 tacoma as well. I'm always interested in the temp. and compass. I have questioned the installation as well since the toyota is in the overhead not attached to the windshield..... Love to see some pics of it done.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:37 PM

Started the install yesterday. Removed the modified mirror I installed as part of the FMU install. I removed the rear view mirror and put the lock clip and roll pins back in the mount and then reattached them in place with the mount screws. I then centered the location for the new mirror "button". The windshield has a tiny arrow point that shows the center line of the windshield. I measured down about 3 inches and just made a mark. I took the button and using some tape centered the button where I wanted it to be located. Next from outside I put down some scotch tape then outlined the location with a black marker. From the inside, I used the alcohol/primer swab from the mirror button mounting kit. You can pick this up at most any auto parts stor, I got mine at Auto Zone was less then $3. Anyway , I will start a new thread when I do the for real write up and include the pics I am taking. Oh and I also disassembled the mirror, removed the internals, primered the plastic case and then painted it the same beige as I did the FMU casing. It actually looks pretty good! I will post the pics soon. More to follow in the full write up
Old 09-17-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Whitey13
I'll be pretty interested in this. I was bummed to see that my sisters Xterra had one but my fancy 4runner didnt.
its the only thing i miss about the blazer.

IIRC whoever did it it 05 got it working, but i too havent found an inexpensie setup...yet
Old 09-18-2007, 04:14 AM

I have a Gentex mirror in my 4runner that came from ebay. The mirror was 25 but then ended up buying the harness for an additional 40. The mirror is the auto dim/temp/compass model. Installation was very easy but I did not try to modify the original mount nor did I paint the unit. I just used the button on the windshield. Mine works great and I so far I have been very happy with it.

I mounted the temp sensor just in front and below the radiator. So far this seems to be working well.

I?m looking forward to reading your write up.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by heddleston
I have a Gentex mirror in my 4runner that came from ebay. The mirror was 25 but then ended up buying the harness for an additional 40. The mirror is the auto dim/temp/compass model. Installation was very easy but I did not try to modify the original mount nor did I paint the unit. I just used the button on the windshield. Mine works great and I so far I have been very happy with it.

I mounted the temp sensor just in front and below the radiator. So far this seems to be working well.

I?m looking forward to reading your write up.
Well I'll be damned...that's exactly what I was looking for...
http://www.autodimmingmirrors.com/ne...enk21/p_7.html