Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Attn: Gadget or Dr Z or anyone really

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 05:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Attn: Gadget or Dr Z or anyone really

Gots a question fer ya!

Doing the tarus fan mod on a 3.0 and having it cool the engine to below normal thermal limits would be an effective ECT mod would it not?

Steve
Old 08-14-2003, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure what you are asking. Can you clarify?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-14-2003, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think he's asking if adding the electric fan would lower his engine temps to where it would be as effective as the ECT mod.

I think it would, if the fan prevents the coolant from reaching normal temps.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Gadget
I am not sure what you are asking. Can you clarify?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Basically people are replacing their clutch driven fans on their 3vze's with ford tarus electric fans which move a LOT of air. In fact, they evidentally move enough air with the proper thermostat to keep the engine below normal operating temperature.

I was thinking that this would have the similar effect as the ECT mod as that merely adjusts the resistor values (keeps them higher) given to the ECU so that the ecu still thinks the engine is still warming up...

I was just wondering if I used the ford tarus electric fan to keep the temp below normal operating temp would do the same thing as the ECT mod...
Old 08-14-2003, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you dont want your engine to run colder do you? Thats bad, japanese engines are configured to be more efficient at a higher temperature. messing with the operating temp wont get you anything, power, efficiency etc. the taurus fan is a good idea unless your trying to lower the operating temp, which is not needed anyways. I personally have dual mr2 fans on my truck -- work better than the cheezy flex a lites and are cheaper, but its only to get a little bit more power when coming off the freeway.

Tim
Old 08-15-2003, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by Duffdog
you dont want your engine to run colder do you? Thats bad, japanese engines are configured to be more efficient at a higher temperature. messing with the operating temp wont get you anything, power, efficiency etc. the taurus fan is a good idea unless your trying to lower the operating temp, which is not needed anyways. I personally have dual mr2 fans on my truck -- work better than the cheezy flex a lites and are cheaper, but its only to get a little bit more power when coming off the freeway.

Tim

tim - got any more info on those fans? what year did they come from, are they driven by the stock T-stat, etc. if you got something that works, i want to hear about it! those flex-a-lite fans have problems with the T-stats.

thanks man,

creed
Old 08-15-2003, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

I personally have dual mr2 fans on my truck -- work better than the cheezy flex a lites and are cheaper, but its only to get a little bit more power when coming off the freeway.

Tim
The FLX210's are cheezy? Since when?
Old 08-15-2003, 10:16 AM

Tim
right now i could care less about efficiency - I have that back now. I just want power and my truck is significantly more powerful when the engine is cold as opposed to completely warmed up..... I'm basically trying to do the ECT mod without hte wires or potentiometer.

ps - dont worry, what you've said hasn't gone in and out. You've made valid points, that now concern me.

Steve
Old 08-15-2003, 11:41 AM

If you are trying to lower the operating temp of the engine the fan is not going to do that. The minimum operating temp of the engine is controlled by the thermostat. The max operating temp is controlled by the capacity of the cooling system.

Install a colder themostat. The engine will operate at a cooler temp and that will heat the induction air less and you could possibly make more power from it. You should expect to loose MPG as modern gasoline needs the higher engine temps to vaporize properly.

Now, once you lower the minimum operating temp with the thermostat then you can control the max temp with the fan.

Without the change in the thermostat you can run that fan full blast all the time and the engine will not run any cooler then the set point of the thermostat.

Let us know how you make out.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-15-2003, 04:33 PM

sorry, I left that out, but I meant to run the fan with a variable thermostat to try find where I'd get the most power temperature wise. I know of some people using the 160 degree thermostat.

It would be an interesting experiment to put in a lower thermostat right now with my stock clutch fan to see what happens.

Thanks for the input guys, it is appreciated.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 08-15-2003 at 04:37 PM.