Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

aside from yotayard how do you source parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aside from yotayard how do you source parts?

The end cap on the rear of my driver's side roof rack broke last night and when I went to the dealer to buy a replacement, they informed me I'd have to buy the whole rack.

Thus, I turned to super glue, and the piece that snapped won't hold.

So I now need to find just this one piece. I plan to call yotayard when they open, but what's another good online source of finding yards with specific vehicle years on their lots to try and canibalize.

I live in St. Louis so there are a lot of local yards for sure for me to contact, but I wasn't sure if there was some kind of database that I could search through online to narrow down who I call. When I've called in the past, they've not been real helpful.

Bill
Old 01-07-2004, 07:05 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: aside from yotayard how do you source parts?

Originally posted by bobzemuda
The end cap on the rear of my driver's side roof rack broke last night and when I went to the dealer to buy a replacement, they informed me I'd have to buy the whole rack.

Thus, I turned to super glue, and the piece that snapped won't hold.

So I now need to find just this one piece. I plan to call yotayard when they open, but what's another good online source of finding yards with specific vehicle years on their lots to try and canibalize.

I live in St. Louis so there are a lot of local yards for sure for me to contact, but I wasn't sure if there was some kind of database that I could search through online to narrow down who I call. When I've called in the past, they've not been real helpful.

Bill
I would suggest posting something in the classified section. Perhaps someone has removed their OEM roof racks and would sell you just the piece or has an extra non-usable rack with those pieces still on them. Never can tell...

I'd also try another dealership and see what they said

OR

see if you can find out who makes the racks for Toyota and contact them directly about ordering/replacing just that part.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2004, 07:41 AM

JB Weld?

That part probably doesn't weigh too much. I had a real positive experience with All Auto Parts farther south of me in CA. Eric was a cool cat and I had my window switch the next day.

HTH!

-Stu.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the response. I got an email that I should try another dealer, and sure enough with the description changed to " roof rack end covers" they were able to order them up at $9 for the left side pair.

Can't figure out how the first guy couldn't find them, as I actually had the part in my hand when I was askign about it.

I am still curious where people have had luck getting used parts, however.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:51 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Second opinion

Originally posted by bobzemuda
Thanks for the response. I got an email that I should try another dealer, and sure enough with the description changed to " roof rack end covers" they were able to order them up at $9 for the left side pair.

Can't figure out how the first guy couldn't find them, as I actually had the part in my hand when I was askign about it.

I am still curious where people have had luck getting used parts, however.
The first guy just didn't think it was worth his effort or time since it was a cheap part I'll bet! Always get a second opinion from a dealer when asking about a part, even if you have it in your hand. I have "made" the parts guys find many a part that they either said didn't exist or wouldn't fit my 4Runner. They've been wrong every time thus far. Find a parts guy you can trust at your local dealer, most have more than 1 and usually 3 or 4. Find one and stick with them.

Glad you found it!

More of my pennies!