Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ARB Bumpers for us... I know I'm missing something here!!!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ARB Bumpers for us... I know I'm missing something here!!!

Hey guys... I know we can get ARB bumpers for the 3rd Gen (I've seen pics of some of us with them on...). But if you look at their site they say "None Available"

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/ac...ota4Runner.pdf

Now if I do more of a search, I find sites like this...

http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orus...dproduct=10281

So is this a case of they are really for the Tacoma, but fit us as well? I'm just wondering because I just sent an email to a company up in Anchorage about pricing me a few things and this was one of them. I just wanted to have my info straight when they come back and say "There isn't an ARB bumper for your 99 4Runner."

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Disregard this... After more digging I found the answer.

Product Number: 3423020. It is listed under the Tacoma.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, the Tacoma bar or Prado bar are your choices. The opinion varies around here. I went with the Tacoma bar because is seems to "fit" better for my tastes.

Jason
Old 01-22-2009, 09:31 PM

http://www.rocky-road.com/toybump.html

there's some pics and total pricing on this site
Old 01-23-2009, 06:02 AM

Kenai

Shannon, so what do you do up there in Kenai? My wife did her internship at the refuge back in 1998. I was only up there for a week during the summer.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by eich75
http://www.rocky-road.com/toybump.html

there's some pics and total pricing on this site
I love this state!! LOL (I really do but...) General shipping to my Zip is $335. I know it says to call for Alaska orders, but that's the ball park range for UPS. I was price checking a SS lift last year and it would be $300 to get one up here. I'm sure I'll have to rely on the barge system to get each up here (barge from Washington to up here).

Sometimes I feel shipping companies treat us like a 3rd world country....
Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by brazos609
Shannon, so what do you do up there in Kenai? My wife did her internship at the refuge back in 1998. I was only up there for a week during the summer.
I'm an Electrician up here. I work mostly on the Industrial side of things (refinery, natural gas sites, places like that). We have a nice refuge up here. I want to get out and do some camping this summer.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:37 PM

i feel your pain on shipping up here to alaska. One thing you can try doing is use shiptoalaska.com. Its not that bad when you figure pricing out. Use Fedex/ups ground to seattle, then they have 2 shipments a week up to anchorage then since youre outside of anchorage they will drop it off to a usps site then ship it from there or you can drive in to anchorage and pick it up(they're located by the airport). we've used it to ship folders, beds, furniture and anything else you can think of. you have to set up an account and pay a yearly fee but its saved us a few bucks. If you can find anywhere that will do free ground in the lower 48 and have them send it to Seattle that's where you will save a lot of money, that's the best way to use them and that's why we use them. If you cant get free ground then it will be about the same if you use them or not. If you don't want to go that rout call underground performance or kodiak offroad, both are in anchorage. Kodiak offroad actually welded up a hole in my rear axle when i blew my rear dif and installed my rear air locker cheaper then anywhere else. Those are the cheapest places i got quotes from in anchorage for a bumper. there are a couple of custom shops but they have a pretty long wait and it will be a tube bumper and then you'd be stuck in ancorage for a week.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by alaskan4runner
i feel your pain on shipping up here to alaska. One thing you can try doing is use shiptoalaska.com. Its not that bad when you figure pricing out. Use Fedex/ups ground to seattle, then they have 2 shipments a week up to anchorage then since youre outside of anchorage they will drop it off to a usps site then ship it from there or you can drive in to anchorage and pick it up(they're located by the airport). we've used it to ship folders, beds, furniture and anything else you can think of. you have to set up an account and pay a yearly fee but its saved us a few bucks. If you can find anywhere that will do free ground in the lower 48 and have them send it to Seattle that's where you will save a lot of money, that's the best way to use them and that's why we use them. If you cant get free ground then it will be about the same if you use them or not. If you don't want to go that rout call underground performance or kodiak offroad, both are in anchorage. Kodiak offroad actually welded up a hole in my rear axle when i blew my rear dif and installed my rear air locker cheaper then anywhere else. Those are the cheapest places i got quotes from in anchorage for a bumper. there are a couple of custom shops but they have a pretty long wait and it will be a tube bumper and then you'd be stuck in ancorage for a week.
Ship to Alaska… Haven’t heard of that, but thanks I’ll look into it. When I got my tires\wheels I used Lynden Transport. We started using them when I lived down in Haines, Alaska. Use Lynden (Alaska Marine Lines) and they barge up to us out of Seattle. So when I priced the SS lift last year UPS Ground was $300. But to Seattle (Fife really) was $80 and then another $80 for the barge ride up here. So it’s just about half the price. Plus they have an office right here so I can pick up the product with about a 10 min. drive.

Underground Performance and Kodiak Offroad… Thanks. I’ll keep those in mind. We have Six States Distributers down here and I don’t care for them. Never seem to want to help with anything. And they quoted me almost $600 for a set of Bushwacker flares. There are a few other places but because there isn’t a large market for aftermarket parts for 4Runners around here it’s hard for them to come up with things.

I did price a place to build me a rear bumper and was quoted $900… Way too steep in my book for the type of bumper I was looking at (kind of like Armorology with a twist here and there).
Since you’re in Anchorage, ever step foot in Total Trucks there in Anchorage? I sent them an email several days ago, but no reply yet. They used to deal with bumpers (saw it on their site a long time ago).

Last edited by psraff; 01-24-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:03 PM

Just a little more info to help explain the reason ARB doesn't list the bullbar on their site.... ARB makes all their products as basically bolt on items, with no actual component modifications except for plastic things. Just about everthing they sell is a bolt on replacement for a factory part. This means that vehicles do not require an engineering cert to be legal on aussie roads. Since fitment of the Taco bar to a 3rd gen requires a significant chassis modification that they have never actually tested or engineered, they won't directly sell the bullbar for that application. 3rd gens were never sold down under and the US market for 3rd gen bullbars at the time was never strong enough to warrant development of a specific bullbar, so we lucked out.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:09 AM

I must be the only one who didn't have to cut the ends off of my frame rails. I used the Tacoma ARB on my 97 4Runner with no problems.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:16 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by psraff
I did price a place to build me a rear bumper and was quoted $900… Way too steep in my book for the type of bumper I was looking at (kind of like Armorology with a twist here and there).
if they can build something like an Armorology bumper for close to $900 fits in the price range for a custom bumper.

with your connections in the trades it seems like you might just ask around, somebody might be able to fab you something up very reasonably..

I was stationed at Ft. Richardson from 90-94, everytime I hear about someone wheeling up there, I get a little jealous
Old 01-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
with your connections in the trades it seems like you might just ask around, somebody might be able to fab you something up very reasonably..

I was stationed at Ft. Richardson from 90-94, everytime I hear about someone wheeling up there, I get a little jealous

Most metal shops around here wont build bumpers anymore. After talking with one just two weeks ago he stated that the way the laws are wrote up here it's not legal to bolt on anything that's not OEM on a rig. He was even sued be a lady because his bumper was on a guys truck and as her lawyer put it "did excessive damage to her car". I even asked him about rock sliders and he said ANYTHING that's not OEM. Now in saying that I still see bumpers on trucks so I think it only comes into effect when \ if your truck collides with another auto and their lawyer is aware of that little law.

I've looked up a few outdoor clubs because I was wanting to explore Alaska and get up in the mountains. But from the pics I see, most are more worried about how deep of mud they can go through then getting out into the wild (I could be wrong, but that's how it looks on their site). There are some great trails up around Anchorage. Down around Kenai, I don't think there are as many. I think there are some between me and Homer, but the Indian Ass. removed all the bridges once they got done cutting all the trees down so no one can cross the rivers.