Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ARB Bumper Install Issue --- Comments / Suggestions (with pics)

Old 06-07-2005, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB Bumper Install Issue --- Comments / Suggestions (with pics)

I have a 1999 4runner Limited. I recently purchased an ARB Winch Bumper (part # 3421010). I called the company I purchased it from to cross check if it was correct. They say this is suppose to be the correct bumper for the 99 4runner w/ large fender flares.

Check out the pics to see the issue:

How the bumper looks on the truck (not bad).

But see that huge gap??? What's the deal??

It's the same on the other side.

Has anyone had the issue with that huge gap between the bumper & fender?? Did I get the wrong bumper? What do you guys think/recommend??
Old 06-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

ARB doesn't list a bull bar for 4Runners. People use either the Tacoma bumper or the Prado bumper. It looks like that is a Prado bumper, in which case the gap is not unusual. The Tacoma bumper is a tighter fit.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:08 PM

Yes. It is a prado bumper. So I should have purchased a Taco bumper. Hmm. I might be stuck with this one though. Has anyone used a prado bumper on a 3rd gen 4runner?? If so... what have you done with the huge gap?
Old 06-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, we have the Prado on our 97. We like the gap as it gives plenty of flex if you get in an accident. It's my dad's truck, and this is the second bumper. He was in an accident with the first one, and it handled it like a champ. Bent the bumper, but only scratched the paint under the driver head light. W/out the gap, it would've done plenty more damage. The bumper looks great on your truck, i would leave the gap.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
call arb directly (get the # from http://www.arbusa.com) and tell them that you're not happy w/ the gap and ask if they can send you a set of the "fillers" that they include w/ the prado sahara bar. they're these plastic things that attach to the top to fill that gap. not a perfect solution, but better than the gap.

oh, and if you would have gotten a taco bar, then it would be tighter around the headlights but it would be about an inch narrower on each side than the fat flares that you have. i personally would rather have a wide bumper for protection and then live w/ the gaps than have one that was too narrow and risk damage to the painted flares.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:52 PM
NJ

Normal

Yes the gap is 'normal' On mine it's even wider since I moved the bar forward so that it does not protrude into the wheel arch (pix link in sig).
If you end up getting the "fillers" let us have some pix along with the part # and $$, if you don't get them then don't worry, in a couple of weeks you won't even notice the gap' there unless you go looking for it
Old 06-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

I have the Prado bumper as well, I too like the width. I painted the fenders behind the bumper black and it significantly reduced how much you notice the gap.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Banned

check out the pics here so you can see what the filler looks like. you may want to send that to whomever you talk to at arb so they know what you're talking about...

http://www.wecool.net

click on 4runner, then click on armor
Old 06-07-2005, 09:27 PM

Great idea on the filler. I'll call ARB tomorrow and see what they say. That bumper sure is hefty.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:06 AM
Banned

this is what you're looking for...

Old 06-08-2005, 10:37 AM

Just talked with 2 guys over at ARBUSA regarding the bumper fitment. Both of them recommended using the Tacoma version rather than Prado. They can order the plastic filler piece $26ea (plus shipping). But they did not recommend that. Instead they recommended contacting the company I puchased the bumper through, and tell them it is the wrong one. ---- So I called and talked with that company (again). And told them what ARB was saying. They don't think it was their fault though, due to it being listed in their book for the 4runner application. So I sent them pictures to show how "poorly" it fits up. Now they are going to forward the pictures to ARB and see if ARB will swap out the bumper. I recommended that they quit selling this "prado" bar due to the poor fitment, or at minimum warn the customer about it (maybe show them pics).
Old 06-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by montypower
Just talked with 2 guys over at ARBUSA regarding the bumper fitment. Both of them recommended using the Tacoma version rather than Prado. They can order the plastic filler piece $26ea (plus shipping). But they did not recommend that. Instead they recommended contacting the company I puchased the bumper through, and tell them it is the wrong one. ---- So I called and talked with that company (again). And told them what ARB was saying. They don't think it was their fault though, due to it being listed in their book for the 4runner application. So I sent them pictures to show how "poorly" it fits up. Now they are going to forward the pictures to ARB and see if ARB will swap out the bumper. I recommended that they quit selling this "prado" bar due to the poor fitment, or at minimum warn the customer about it (maybe show them pics).
well:

prado will fit the lines of the flares and have a gap along the body

taco will fit the lines of the truck and the flares will stick out past it and look goofy.

i'd personally rather have the gap and then deal w/ it than have unprotected flares...

look at my pic again and you'll see that my bumper is exactly the same width as yours. now imagine subtracting about 1.5" ON EACH SIDE from that width and that's where the outer edge of a taco bar will end up.

Last edited by bamachem; 06-08-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:43 PM

Thanx for all the comments and advice. Looks like I will be keeping this bumper. And I'm going to order those plastic fillers (used on the sahara bar). I'll post up pictures when it's done.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
well:

prado will fit the lines of the flares and have a gap along the body

taco will fit the lines of the truck and the flares will stick out past it and look goofy.

i'd personally rather have the gap and then deal w/ it than have unprotected flares...

look at my pic again and you'll see that my bumper is exactly the same width as yours. now imagine subtracting about 1.5" ON EACH SIDE from that width and that's where the outer edge of a taco bar will end up.
I am with Andy. IMO this bumper is supposed to be used not just something to look at. I would not like the Tacoma bumper because it would not protect the flares. Where as the Prado bumper does. Sure it does "look" a little weird to have that gap, but it does it's job when wheelin'. And, after I painted the bottoms of my fenders behind the bumper black the gap is much less noticeable.

Look at these pics...does the gap look that bad?

http://pics.montypics.com/albuquerqu...2_p6100037.jpg

http://pics.montypics.com/albuquerqu...1_p6100040.jpg
Old 07-15-2005, 01:27 PM

Here's my Prado Bullbar fitment solution:

The plastic "fillers" are the ones used on the Prado Sahara Bumper. They cost ~ $60 shipped. I did some modification to get them to follow the body lines... And it fits closer.

What do you guys think??
Old 07-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

looks great. I had to trim the filler pieces too.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

Not bad. Its good to see your solution worked out.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
looks great. I had to trim the filler pieces too.
Can you post or send me the info on obtaining the "filler" pieces?? I've got the gaps as well and these look like a good option to fill it.

Any telephone #s or part #s would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew
Old 07-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Banned

phone number is 1-888-4ARBUSA

just tell them you need the black upper filler trim pieces from a Prado Sahara Bar. show the the pic via email if they don't realize what you're asking for...
Old 07-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

see now i have to get one of those. looks like this thread is arb proud owners. i really want one now. i think the filler piece is a really nice touch. bamachem i think ur painted bumper looks awesome. what was approx. price for ur arb shipped? im really looking at getting one. and how much did it cost to paint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ARB Bumper Install Issue --- Comments / Suggestions (with pics)