Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ARB bumper help (not your typical what do I cut off thread)

Old 06-20-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB bumper help (not your typical what do I cut off thread)

So I feel like I've read every write-up on the tacoma bumper install for the 4runner twice. I got my bumper today and ran into some trouble while installing it. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but maybe someone can help me out regardless. I took off the crush cans and took a saw to the remaining flange. I go to install the ARB mounts and the holes don't line up with the tie down and tow hook mounts. Even if I were to cut the frame ends back to the crossmember where the front of the skid plate is mounted, they still would not reach. Do I need to cut beyond that and install the crossmember that came with the bumper? It's a 96 and I haven't been able to find a write-up for a 96 specifically, but all the ones I have seen have bolted up to the tow hook/tie down locations. Please help!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe you need to confirm which bumper you currently have? there should be a welded plate on the inside with part number
Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 PM

The frame rails should slide 2 or 3" inside of the ARB mounts. My holes lined up perfectly on my '97. Are the spacers that are used for the Tacoma still inside of the mounts? Those aren't used on our trucks so look and see if they are in there and take them out. That's the only thing I can think of as to why the mounts won't go back far enough to line the holes up. You don't use the crossmember on a 4runner either.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:46 PM

If you get some pics it will really help us. Crappy cell phone pics will do. I cant imagine the holes for the tow hooks are any farther back than they would be for any other 3rd gen 4runner
Old 06-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
No actual thoughts regarding the issue - just wanted to say 'Hello'.

We met at Race Pace the other week...

Andreas
Old 06-20-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Do you have the correct bumper for your vehicle??

It seems to happen quite alot these days wrong part in correct box. Wrong part # entered some place Typo who knows
Old 06-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I know you have to hammer the mount flanges that come with the ARB on there pretty good. Make sure they are sliding on there. You might have to grind down some of the existing frame rail so they are able to slide on easily.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:32 PM

I had that exact same problem today installing the ARB tacoma bumper on my 2000 runner. I think they might of given us the wrong mounts. After cutting of the plate/flange, put the mount on and the 2 holes wont line up. What i did was cut off about 2.5" of the frame, and that made it line up perfect. Bumper lines up with body also. Will take pics if you need. Now i just need to know if i can grind about a 1/4" off my trundra caliper to get my procomp rock crawlers fit, its got 4.25 bs. Should of gotten 4" bs.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:14 AM

Thanks for all the replies! So I called ARB yesterday and ended up emailing them pictures to make sure I had all the right stuff. It turns out everything is correct and that I just need to cut more off of the frame ends. I was hesitant to do this at first since cutting any more would take off part of the weld holding the crossmember on but they assured me that this was the fix and included this video in their reply: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzfWBCZDKQI Note that my frame rails are about the length of the ones in this video after cutting about 2 inches off behind the crush cans so I guess mine were really long. I just didn't want to cut off too much and have to add more material back on. Hopefully this will help someone else out in the future! I'll post up pics when I get it installed this weekend.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:35 AM

They must have changed their mounts. I didn't have to cut my frame ends off, only grind the caps off at the ends.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
They must have changed their mounts. I didn't have to cut my frame ends off, only grind the caps off at the ends.
I'm with Brian on this.. brackets must have changed cus I sure did not cut/grind anything off but the caps on the end of the frame.

Last edited by JWaldz; 06-22-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:48 PM

I just installed one on my '98 4Runner two weeks ago. I did the same thing. Nils Bull, a tech at Arb USA sent me a sketch of what to cut off. I cut it off then tried to fit the brackets on. Damn. No fit!

I fiddled and measured and pondered for a day, then decided that cutting on the extra 2-3 ish inches was called for. It was fine.

However, after I did that, I had to grind down a bunch on the inside top side of the frame rails. Luckily we have a really complete fab shop where I work.

I also had to cut out my sump guard. And I installed the new one that came with the bumper. And I followed the instructions. At least I thought I did, though they seemed a bit ambiguous about which side really was the front. I was wrong... the holes for the skid plates were too far forward. So I took the whole dang thing off, to reverse the sump guard. And put the bumper back on. And I forgot to put the sump guard back in. !@#!@@#%!#%!@#. That was two days ago. Hopefully tomorrow night I'll get it all back together properly.

BTW, the bumper looks AWESOME. When my buddy and I picked it up and put it in the back of my truck it seemed HUMONGOUS! It wasn't. It looks just right. I have to say, I'm really glad I bought the ARB, they've obviously put a LOT of thought and engineering into the bumper, it's a really week designed job and very light for how many features and how strong it is.

Before I started the install, I wish I'd bought some rustoleum to use on the cut/ground parts.

Also, when you're doing the final alignment, they specify a 20mm spacing between the bumper and the body. I used a whole bunch of scraps from some 3/4" (which is 19mm) plywood which spaced it perfectly.

Also, they specify to make the spacing between the brakets between 725 and 727mm. I found erring on the smaller side worked out better for me, and it was much easier to torque the bolts down.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

-Dodger
Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
I also agree with the 2 guys above me, I didn't need to cut any of the frame off, just the lip that is on each side on the tips. But yeah, must have changed some stuff around. I wonder why they decided to change it all now, I've only had my bumper a little over a year.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:13 AM

I did'nt have to cut anything either... Bolted on and drove away.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:57 AM

I was wondering if there are two versions of the frame rails, one longer than the other?