Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ARB Bull bar and a 3rd Gen

Old 06-30-2003, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ARB Bull bar and a 3rd Gen

Anyone got a really good description or pics of an install of one of these?

I got the tacoma Bull Bar, and someone mentioned something about If the crush can extensions are welded on, they need to be cut off....

I pickup the bumper in the morning and will bring it to the body shop to have them install it... and need to let them know i "sorta" lied about a direct bolt on.... Kinda.. it still is... but not...
Old 06-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

why not do it yourself and save yourself some mod money?
Old 06-30-2003, 01:47 PM

Because.. the accident (insurance) is paying for the bumper, and the labor to install it (up to but not over the time it takes to install an OEM one) *IF* it gets to that point where they will start charging me.... I told them to throw it in the back and I will install it myself...
Old 06-30-2003, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, nevermind... I didn't know this was after an accident.
Mount away
Old 06-30-2003, 01:52 PM

hehe.. yea I figgured if they got time, and better tools than I do... they should go ahead...
Old 06-30-2003, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

There is a small plate that does have to be ground down so it is flush with the frame, but the frame extensions on my 97 were bolt-on. Do a quick search and you'll find a lot of posts on this. Here's a pic of the tip of the frame after the extension is unbolted and what has to be ground off (before and after).

Before grinding

After grinding

Enjoy your ARB!
Old 07-01-2003, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Re: ARB Bull bar and a 3rd Gen

Originally posted by Ducky
someone mentioned something about If the crush can extensions are welded on, they need to be cut off.......
The cans aren't welded on. they are held on by (I think) and 8mmx1.00 bolt inside the hole on the front end of it.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:08 PM

Delivered the ARB to the body shop...

Honestly i think i will have to do the install myself.... unless I want to pay them money...

Funny or not so funny story though...

My friend in his newish ford pickup went to go pickup the arb bumper that we are delivering to the body shop.. those who may or maynot know in front of the building there is a badly placed telephone pole... you all know where this is going...

he has a $500 dollar deductable too just like me....

(those who cant put 2 and 2 together... he backed into it, and folded his bumper, and his rear drivers side quarter panel.. with a toasted tailight...)

Saw my truck.. it looked sad... no radiator, rear corner sanded, primered, some glass removed.. no front end... wonder if I should go with a camera and take pics of the inside of my rear hatch before they panel it back up... they said it was going into the painters today or tomorrow...

but it still needs parts, assembled, and then off to the next shop for alignment and prolley CV joints and such... I think i should tell them about the pandhard bar w/o a bracket.. never got to it, that may or maynot affect the alignment.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Re: ...

hehe.. yea I figgured if they got time, and better tools than I do... they should go ahead...
Better yet, let the place fix it with a new stock bumper charged to your insurance company, and then remove it and install your ARB and then sell the new stock bumper and make a few bucks.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by transalper
There is a small plate that does have to be ground down so it is flush with the frame, but the frame extensions on my 97 were bolt-on. Do a quick search and you'll find a lot of posts on this. Here's a pic of the tip of the frame after the extension is unbolted and what has to be ground off (before and after).

Before grinding

After grinding

Enjoy your ARB!
Hey Ducky,
How long till your truck is out of the shop. You will have to join us on the weekday runs.

I just installed my ARB bumper on my 97 last weekend. As the picture above shows, I had to grind down the plate to be flush with the frame rail.
Since your 4Runner is an 02. Your fabbing may be a bit different. I believe Toyota made the 99/02 4Runners a bit longer to meet the 5mile an hour crash test compliancy crap.
I also heard that the install was easier for the 99/02.
Good luck and hope to see you on the trails.
Your black rig will look sharp with the ARB bumper.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:09 AM

I dunno, the shop is anal and want to do it right... (or they are lazy)

there is no ETA as of yet... I think Im going to call in to ask them what needs to be done next, to get some kind of schedule...

I wish it was going to be done soon... even 1 week (although its been 1/2 a month) is too long to be without my Toy...

Yea Im hoping black will look nice... Im thinking... maybe even getting GTS carbon fiber headlight covers to darken the headlights and when I get the lightforce lights to get the black covers for them... it might actually look pretty cool...
Old 07-02-2003, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Re: ...

I wish it was going to be done soon... even 1 week (although its been 1/2 a month) is too long to be without my Toy...
Sheesh, when my wife used mine to push a minivan around I was without it for about 5 weeks while the Toyota stealership bodyshop had it. I guess they were using it for a lunch runner since it took so long. they even got the wrong emblems (chrome instead of Black Pearl that were stock) I even told them when I dropped the thing off to make sure they get the Black Pearl emblems, they kept calling the "Smoke Gray" for some odd-azz reason. then I went to pick it up and the first thing I said was, "you put the wrong emblems on!" they asked "what do you mean?" so I felt obliged to pretend I was teaching kindergarten and said "walk to the rear and look at those emblems, then walk back up front and compare them. You put Chrome on when I specifically told you that they were Black Pearl!" Ding-Bats. Ooh, I just realized I'm rambling on, sorry.