Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Aquamist Water Injection

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aquamist Water Injection

I was searching through the URD website and saw a couple different types of Aquamist systems. Does anybody know which is the best one to use on a S/C '96 Toyota 4runner with the fuel upgrade? Thanks
Old 05-04-2006, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fwiw, there are options other than Aquamist, but... to answer your question, it depends on how much control you want over the system.

The low end system (1s) will get you a spray when you hit a certain manifold pressure. It's on/off.

The 2s system will let you tailor the mist from gradual to max as the boost comes up.

The 2c system confuses me... Not sure what the point is there.

The 2d system includes a module which will hang off of an injector so that the mister knows exactly when fuel is shooting into the cylinder. This can be more frugal on methanol and provide for "automatic" tuning of a gradual map. i.e., it'll spray more when the injector is firing more often. Think of it as the automatic version of 2s.

Bottom line... you'll get the performance benefits of a mister with the 1s system, BUT you'll run the risk of the engine stumbling if you set it to come on at too low of a boost. The 2s system will let you have a lot of control over the amount of mist. the 2d system will give you the benefits of the 2s, but in a plug & play & forget it configuration.

Last edited by midiwall; 05-04-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:14 PM

thanks midiwall. what other options are out there besides the Aquamist System? I want something safe, accurate, dependable and controllable.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:22 PM

Aquamist 2D all the way. Tried and true system. Quality parts. Pump is magnetic---no brushes or turning armature. Mine has worked flawlessly for almost two years now.

Other systems use a ShurFlow pump. They WILL NOT hold up.

Last edited by TRDOLMAN; 05-04-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:33 PM

yeah that's what I was thinking too. How's the installation on the 2D? I've been reading it's not very hard. Maybe a days work?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:39 PM

I had a big babbling answer in here, but I really don't want to get into it. Dave and I will only clash and I don't want to do that with him.

The short form is that I think Aquamist is WAY overpriced.

If you're comfortable spending $900, then that's a good deal for you.

The hardest thing about the install will be finding a space for the pump and (optionally) the dedicated tank. The tall tank that Gadget sells is a good idea. Past that, install is a breeze.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:45 PM

{side jack}
Hey Ivan... You've got an interesting mix of stuff going on:
TRD Supercharger, 9.5 PSI Pulley, 305cc injectors, SS FTC-E, Supra MAF, Walbro fuel pump, TRD adjustable fuel regulator, Poweraid throttle body spacer, Jet Performance ECU Upgrade, TRD headers
Umm... can you get fuel into the engine? With the 9.5 pulley (is that the 2.1"?), the JET chip, the FTC-E, and Supra MAF I think that you have the 305's maxed out.

What are the numbers like in your fuel map on the FTC-E??? If you put the mister in there, you _should_ go to larger injectors.

And umm... pull the JET chip, the FTC is fighting with it.
And umm... pull the TB spacer. It's not doing anything.
{/side jack}

Last edited by midiwall; 05-04-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:51 PM

yeah the jet chip is out. I had it before I bought the FTC. It's actually still roaming somewhere in my house. The TB spacer stayed in because it never has giving me any problems and I like the way it stands out on the engine. Will be going out too after I get the water injection.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by ivanr
yeah the jet chip is out. I had it before I bought the FTC. It's actually still roaming somewhere in my house. The TB spacer stayed in because it never has giving me any problems and I like the way it stands out on the engine. Will be going out too after I get the water injection.
fair 'nuff.

Please though, think about moving up to larger injectors. You and I are running very similar mods, and I know I'm at the upper end of the 305's. The mister will put you/I over and the engine will lean out at WOT.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:58 PM

I didn't think of that but I'll take that into consideration when I get the water injection. What injectors do you plan on running?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

do you have a model number for your jet chip? and are you interested in selling it?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:04 PM

If I recall right it says 5VZ-FE, 4X4, Automatic on the ECU. I'm not really sure if it's just for '96 Toyotas or all 5VZ-FE, 4X4, Automatics. And yes I would be glad to get rid of it.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:15 PM

I didn't think of that but I'll take that into consideration when I get the water injection. What injectors do you plan on running?
Funny you should ask!

I was planning on just moving to 318's, but.. check page five of this thread:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...2&page=5&pp=20
(that link will take you there)

I've been schooled today and am now looking for 440's.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
The short form is that I think Aquamist is WAY overpriced.

Mark----I totally agree. The Aquamist is WAY, WAY overpriced. It's priced at least double of what I think it should be. Problem is though, it is the best system out there and after spending the dough I did on the other speed parts, I wasn't going to compromise on the water injection system. One of my friends owns a performance shop and sold WI systems such as the one from Snow Performance. He ended up having to constantly fix them or give everyone's money back. He is the one that convinced me to go with the Aquamist. He said EVERY system he sold with a ShurFlow pump was trouble.

I hope you aren't using a ShurFlow in the unit you are putting together. If you are---I have a lot of experience repairing them and will be glad to be of assistance if you need it. I'm not being a smart ass. I have lots of spare parts too. Before I retired, I used those 12volt pumps to spray chemicals.

Last edited by TRDOLMAN; 05-04-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:32 PM

440's huh. Sounds big but very tempting. They have a point though cause sooner or later you'll do more upgrades and just have to buy bigger injectors. Might as well go really big. I was thinking of the 370's but if the 440's will work then I'd rather have those. Keep me posted with any updates. Do you know how much these will be running for?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:33 PM

Hey man...

Yeah, the $560 price on the Aquamist pump just KILLS me. argh.

Anyway... my rig is a system based on a Snow MAF controller with an upgraded pump (it's not a ShurFlow). The controller's hanging off of the 3rd map in the SMT (not the MAF itself) so that I can tune the mister to match the power curve. I have a tunable vacuum controller as well which I'll probably toss in first to "keep it simple" and get things fired up.

Oh... for fun, I duplicated the net effect of the Aquamist gauge thing as a 9 point bargraph. Cost me less than $10 in parts. It'll sit in the "elbow" of A-pillar mount where the boost gauge is.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:35 PM

440's huh. Sounds big but very tempting. They have a point though cause sooner or later you'll do more upgrades and just have to buy bigger injectors. Might as well go really big. I was thinking of the 370's but if the 440's will work then I'd rather have those. Keep me posted with any updates. Do you know how much these will be running for?
A LOT.

I'm poking and lurking and peeking under dark corners. I'll let you know what I find out. There are some deals to be had, but you have to be careful with keeping these things matched. It's one thing to have a mis-matched set of 305s, but mis-match a 440 and you're blowing a LOT of fuel.

Last edited by midiwall; 05-05-2006 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:36 PM

sounds like you have a hell of a project going on.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:33 PM

Hey man...

Yeah, the $560 price on the Aquamist pump just KILLS me. argh.

Anyway... my rig is a system based on a Snow MAF controller with an upgraded pump (it's not a ShurFlow). The controller's hanging off of the 3rd map in the SMT (not the MAF itself) so that I can tune the mister to match the power curve. I have a tunable vacuum controller as well which I'll probably toss in first to "keep it simple" and get things fired up.

Oh... for fun, I duplicated the net effect of the Aquamist gauge thing as a 9 point bargraph. Cost me less than $10 in parts. It'll sit in the "elbow" of A-pillar mount where the boost gauge is.
Sounds good Mark. Good luck with setting it up.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

A LOT.

I'm poking and lurking and peeking under dark corners. I'll let you know what I find out. There are some deals to be had, but you have to be careful with keeping these things matched. It's one thing to have a mist-matched ste of 305s, but mis-match a 440 and you're blowing a LOT of fuel.

That's a good point Mark, it is critical to ensure you always have a matched set of injectors because the ECU has no way of knowing that injectors have slightly different flow rates and will fire them all exactly the same duration. The biggest issue with using undersized injectors is that as you get above the 85-90% duty cycle the injector starts doing strange things and may not open the duration asked for by the ECU and thus cause a random lean condition. I think 370s or 440s would be a good choice over the 318s for sure.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 05-05-2006 at 05:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Aquamist Water Injection