Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone use " Equal" in their tires instead of Lead weights ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone use " Equal" in their tires instead of Lead weights ???

I know you all who have 35's and up , can't keep those big tires in balance, with those Normal lead weights, I know I've had upwards to 21 oz. on one steel rim of mine , lack of a better word ... It $uck$ !!!
Big Rig Truckers, have used "Equal" for years and it's allowed them to run their Big tires for 3 times their normal mileage. What equal is , is a powdery substance that is injected inside the tire and, filled with air. Since you don't really need a balance on your rim until 25 to 30 mph, a static weight ( lead ) is fine for cars, but what about Semi Trucks and wheelers with Big tires ? and what it does , is once your rolling about 25 mph, the powder goes to the spots the rim needs to balance out, ofcourse from inside the tire ! It works well !!!
One unfortunate drawback is that Air has water in it , water mixed with the powder, once theirs enough in the tire, will create a concrete like substance. The cure for the Water problem , is DON'T USE AIR !!!!!
Use an inert gas to fill your tires up with the equal inside !!! Use Nitrogen or Argon, which can be purchased at a Gas supplier or your local welding supply. You can adapt an air hose to fit these small bottles. The big benefit to using the enert gas instead of air is , there's no water to mix with the Equal to make concrete, Plus Inert gases don't react and are not affected by heat , like when your tires heat up from the road, so your tires won't deform or react poorly like they do with Air in them . The only drawback is the cost , I think it'll cost between the equal and the gas, about 35 dollars a tire to fill , but thats relatively cheap in comparison to buying 3 sets of tires !!!

So have you guys used this or do you know if it does what they claim ?
Old 02-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
35/12.50 MT/Rs and they are smooth on the road....some have a little weight, one has quite a bit, but they ride smooth as glass. Sounds like you need to find a good tire shop. One reason I buy my tires local as I get free rotate/balance for the lift of the tire.

I'm read about other methods but I prefer the tried and true.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Old 02-28-2005, 06:38 PM

I have run Equal in my tires for 4 or 5 years now. My wheels do not vibrate like they used to with lead weights. It is quite smooth, in fact.

Equal isn't a powder. It's described on their website as "dry polymer particle product ...."

I fill my tires with my air compressor and have never had problems with clumping due to moisture that I know of.

Equal website.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:42 PM

Exclamation ok, so it's more like sand than powder, huh

So it's more like sand than powder , huh ? I'm getting ready to buy some new 35's and am thinking of doing the equal this time instead of the lead. I actually spoke to a sales rep for the distribution company for equal, today and they said you use a Moisture block valve stem that has a built in screen to obviously keep water from getting in and that they used to sell a nitrogen set up for inflation, but found that it's kinda of a hassle to have to carry bottles of Nitrogen around to air up the tires , especially after a Air down for wheeling.

I found a place , locally that will put the equal in with the moisture block valve stems for $ 25 a tire, so this spring , when I change the tires out, I'll do the equal !!!

Thanks for ya'lls input !!!
Old 03-01-2005, 01:08 AM

Read here:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/equal/FAQ.htm

Best FAQ on equal, even though it is a Land Rover site...
Old 03-01-2005, 05:19 AM

Exclamation

Thanks SquidDog !!! That was very informative and is the only why to fly! I won't ever be using lead again !!!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone know a way to get it into a premounted tire without one of those special pumps. Maybe I could use a tiny funnel and pour it through the valve core?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:01 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Using "Equal" to balance tires... SWEET!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is some interesting stuff.
Does it make any sounds when running it inside the tire?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:18 AM

I've heard from the people that'll do it for $ 25, that they can do by breaking the bead, just enough to slide a bag in, and they don't have to dismount the tire from the rim......but You'll definately need the special screened Valve cores that comes with the $ 25 per tire package !

SquidDogs post with the EQUAL FAQ website is very informative, if you read it it'll tell you all you need to know...

as far as Rick F .......No it's not the "Equal" you put in your coffee...read the posts before you come to conclusions and with your little pun !!!
Old 03-01-2005, 08:20 AM

No noise that I'm aware of , not like the folks that have run BB's or Golf Balls in their tires for balance...
Old 03-01-2005, 08:47 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Originally Posted by Diggertoy
.......No it's not the "Equal" you put in your coffee...read the posts before you come to conclusions and with your little pun !!!
That's all it was, a pun. I HATE it when people have a terse response. You must not have been laid recently!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:16 AM

If the distributor can tell you where to have Equal put in, that will save you a lot of hassle. When I bought my Equal from the local guy, he told me where to go. But I didn't follow his recommendation until I was not able to find a tire shop who would do the work. I would get funny looks and they all acted like they thought it was voodoo stuff. They didn't want anything to do with it. The place that I had do it is a big rig tire outfit mainly.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We run it in our truck tires at work. The tire guy thinks Voodoo, but the drivers are happy!
Old 03-01-2005, 11:26 AM

I hate it when people start ˟˟˟˟˟ for no reason, Rickf. I hate posting real questions on 4x4 boards only to have some wannabe from Pennsylvania, cop an attitude and spew his BS on the post. I know your type on these boards, you say something to be cute , and when people don't think your cool for saying it , they tell you about it and you immediately slam back.......your also the kind that probably has people around you tell you that if they wanted your opinion , they'd beat it out of you ! So go on an impress the mall cruisers in Pennsylvania, 'cause you've already shown your A$$ here and are now known for it
Old 03-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
it was just a little joke digger...... chill out man.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Diggertoy
I hate it when people start ˟˟˟˟˟ for no reason, Rickf. I hate posting real questions on 4x4 boards only to have some wannabe from Pennsylvania, cop an attitude and spew his BS on the post. I know your type on these boards, you say something to be cute , and when people don't think your cool for saying it , they tell you about it and you immediately slam back.......your also the kind that probably has people around you tell you that if they wanted your opinion , they'd beat it out of you ! So go on an impress the mall cruisers in Pennsylvania, 'cause you've already shown your A$$ here and are now known for it
lol. i think you need to log off before your blood pressure rises anymore...
Old 03-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
that vein on your head might go " pop ! "
Old 03-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was a test subject for Equal when it first came out. I was even featured in a commercial for it and did a testimonial.

It works very well. I've been in direct contact with the powers to be, and they might have a new version that you mount on the inside of your rim. I'm not sure if it's out yet.

Here is equal going into one of my tires.

www.burtmanindustries.com/4runner/equal.mpeg

Last edited by Jason B; 03-04-2005 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found the stuff we use is called "counteract" balancing beads.
Web site listed on package is:
www.counteractbalancing.com

Quick Reply: Anyone use " Equal" in their tires instead of Lead weights ???