Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone take there 4 runners OFF ROAD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone take there 4 runners OFF ROAD?

Ok here's the ? How do you guys rate the new 4 runners Off Road !, the 2003 models from experience?

Do you guys have any real quirks that you dislike?
How is there customer service?

Also I'm trying to find out what the X-Reas Sport suspension is? Is it higher lower what don't know???????
I have a SR5 base pkg for 3 days for my test drive and so far this is the best Suv I have driven yet. I would like the Sport pkg upgrade but I don't want the sun roof,is there any way I can have this done, oh and not sure about suspension upgrade as don't know what it consist of.
Also is there haggling with the Toyota Dealerships and what do I have to play with money wise to go down or is it a set price?

Thanks A lot!!!
Old 03-27-2003, 03:30 PM

i just picked up my 2003 limited v6 for Sticker price was 37,622 i paid 34,300 and i got 2 different dealers down that low. I live in brooklynm NY by the way.

I live in the city so there hasnt been any offroading for me nor do i see any in the near future. Good times takes his offroad talk to him

My only dislikes is alittle lack of lighting on certain controls in the car. The controls on the doors arent lite at all. Making it hard to see at night. But you will get used to that in no time.

Customer serivice is all dependent on where you bringing your truck. But overall what ive heard is that customer service is great. Dealer will over charge you but thats nothing new.

About the sports package with no sunroof is only possible if the dealers have them or have already been sent. You cant order one unless you want to wait forever. I dont see why it wouldnt be possible but its gonna require some searching.

The X-reas is simpler a highering and lowering system for the 4runner. It is also suppose to have a slightly better ride but i cant say from expericne since ive never riden in one. I had no use to spend the extra money for it when the truck rides amazing to begin with. The car can only be driven at certain speeds at certain hights atleast that what is recommended. Good luck Chris
Old 03-27-2003, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

x-reas system: basically put a system that controls all 4 shocks in a x pattern (back left - front right). What it does is it controls the firmness according to how the vehicle is moving. If you slam on the brakes, the front of the 4runner will dip. well with this system it firms the front shocks so you don't dip as much. A pretty cool feature that helps in cornering as well. as for offroading? well it works i guess.

The problem w/ the new 4runner is this: height has diminished by atleast 2". Now this is significant enough that you will notice some clearance issues as soon as you take it out on the trails.

Now knowing that the height is a factor, you'd end up lifting the 4runner. As of right now only daystar has released some form of spacer setup. I am currently working with both downey and king shocks on a more permanent suspensions setup. Hopefully a bolt on kit will be out soon for everyone . well if you lift your 4runner, the x-reas system that anyone has will be removed. Hence a waste of $$ to get it in the first place since you will lift it anyway.

bottom line: if you're gonna keep it stock, the x-reas system is a wonderful system that would be purchased. If you're gonna raise it, save the cash and use it on upgrading the suspension!

Now i've taken my 03 4runner out on 2 trails, one of which was more technical than the other. From my experience, this vehicle is definitely offroad capable (the best in it's class by anyone's standards). You just have to be more careful and pick a better line. The skill in offroading is in the driver itself and not the vehicle. If you can't drive, it doesn't matter what you have, you won't make it thru!

So driving skills is key to conquering anything! hope this helps!

dislikes:
height

cladding actually saving me some cash as i don't need to worry about body damage!
v8 5 speed auto tranny

Lance
Old 03-27-2003, 04:16 PM

good times hit the xeas on the head i was curious myself so i did alittle research but he beat me to it
Old 03-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

hehe sucka!

prices for the 4runner has been relatively low. I've seen as low as 300 over invoice!!!! hard to believe but true by other members.

I would say it's probably the same for ya there up north!

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2003, 05:21 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

hey all,
as far as lifting it, i have a 99 highlander, when i first started looking ( before i found this site ) i found a place in Topeka, kansas, that makes new springs, to order, i was thinking about a 2 inch lift, the springs would have the same strengths, etc. just 2 inches longer, they wanted $200 a pair, the bad thing is, they do not install, has anyone else gone this route ?
Ric
Old 03-27-2003, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Anyone take there 4 runners OFF ROAD?

Originally posted by Liberator
Anyone take there 4 runners OFF ROAD?
haha lmao

Old 03-28-2003, 06:43 AM

Exclamation

Ok can you pick your own options
eg. I would like the better stereo with the controls on the steering wheel. But I realy don't want the sunroof and that suspension upgrade,or runnining boards.
Can the dealer just take that stuff off or just put the options I want on. Or is it like this is th pkg that's it.
About the negotiating for the price is there any other Canadians that talked them down. I heard that they set there price up here and that's it.
Well thanks for the info guys.
Last day I have it so I'll take it see what it can do So far so good!
Talk to you later
Oh ya anyone care to share the price they paid Canadian just for I can look and try to talk him down.
Thanks again
Old 03-28-2003, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by Liberator
Ok can you pick your own options
eg. I would like the better stereo with the controls on the steering wheel. But I realy don't want the sunroof and that suspension upgrade,or runnining boards.
Can the dealer just take that stuff off or just put the options I want on. Or is it like this is th pkg that's it.
About the negotiating for the price is there any other Canadians that talked them down. I heard that they set there price up here and that's it.
Well thanks for the info guys.
Last day I have it so I'll take it see what it can do So far so good!
Talk to you later
Oh ya anyone care to share the price they paid Canadian just for I can look and try to talk him down.
Thanks again
Usually that sort of stuff is sold in a package. If the dealer can find you a truck on thier lot with exactly what you want then you won't get any uneeded items. However you might have to custom order the truck from the plant, which would take at least a few months for it to be delivered. Good luck

Eric
Old 03-28-2003, 11:26 AM

Just to clarify some info...

The X-REAS suspension is available on the Sport and limited.

The Air suspension is a separate package and it is only offered on Limited versions.

If you get the Air suspension package, it always includes the X-REAS package also.

I have not seen very many 4runners with the Air suspension. It seems to be vary rare.

-Ash
Old 03-28-2003, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

yes/yes/yes...

lastly, i dunno...
Old 03-28-2003, 11:56 AM

Lightbulb

Ok has anyone tried ths X-REAS suspension offroading ? is it helpful or hinderence.
Also how is it with the sport pkg same clearence but with larger rims? I would think that you would have an inch more or does that suspension upgrade is shorter wich would cause same clearence with bigger tires.
The dealer told me that I can put inch taller tires with the base because it won't rub anyway, so gane an inch add larger tires,on base SR5 without sport pkg.
Anyone do this .
Thanks
Old 03-28-2003, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

SR5's comes with 265/70/16
SPORTS comes with 265/65/17

exact size of tires:

SR5 (265/70/16) is

Diameter: 30.6"
Width: 10.4"
Height: 7.3"

SPORT (265/65/17) is

Diameter: 30.6"
Width: 10.4"
Height: 6.8"

Therefore, rim size is insignificant as it's the tire size that makes the big difference. The only thing is that there's only a BFG A/T tire in the 17" rim while for the 16" there's ALOT out there.

Those with 17" already prob won't be able to get the 16" rim because of your larger brakes. Not sure as the 4runners are the first w/ 17". Those with 16" rims will able to fit 265/75/16 (1 size larger) with no problems and might be able to fit 285's but I doubt it. You'll have to lift it to get 285's.

I don't know anyone who has trail tested their 4runner (those w/ x-reas). As for me, mine didn't come with em so...
Old 03-28-2003, 12:15 PM

I haven't had the chance to take mine off-road yet. I do have the X-REAS but not the air suspension.

-Ash
Old 03-28-2003, 12:28 PM

Mine was a Sport Edition demo with 2400 miles on it. I got it for $28,500. Sticker was $32,000 and invoice was right round $31,000. I was going to go with the SR5, however I test drove the SE and I noticed a big diff in ride with the X-Reas. Plus the 10 speaker JBL make a huge diff as well. All in all I think the SE is well worth the money. Plus you get that hood scoop! not that it works or anything. Just looks cool!
Old 03-28-2003, 01:06 PM

34 grand. Those 4runners are expensive.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:08 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

yes,, LOVE THAT SCOOP, my 99 stands out a little with it, i had had compliments about it, but yep, its just for looks.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:18 PM

Question

Any of you guys here of Access Toyota about being takin to court for unfair pricing This is in Western Canada.
This Means that none of the dealers in Western Canada can hagle it is all set Prices by Access Toyota.

Can anyone give me a heads up on this.
Thanks
Old 03-29-2003, 03:18 PM

Talking

I had the 4Runner for the last day that they let me have it for my test drive,so I took it out on some trails and man the stuff I went through in 4wheel drive with my Jeep Liberty I went through in 2 wheel with the vsc coming on every so often.
Got it stuck and I got out the wife was driving and when she was spinning to get out all 4 wheels turning until it pulled rite out it was pretty awsome. I had to go underneath and pull all that guck and stuff off the front diff as washing just didn't cut it. Not bottoming out at all I am impressed with the 4runner. I guess the dealer was right it will sell it self after you drive it!!!
Well there seeing if they can put one together how I would like it,and the price to do it so the waiting game starts.
After test driving Toyota I will never buy a Domestic vehicle again!
Talk to you guys later!