Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone running Performance Products lift and body lift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone running Performance Products lift and body lift?

I only want to lift my 98 4runner a couple of inches, I dont plan on going bigger than 32s. Does anyone here have a performance product spring lift as well as a 1 or 2 inch body lift? I honestly, dont want to spend too much money on my suspension, but dont want to deal w/ big spacers that may cause more problems in the end for me. Any input would help.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:16 PM

I can't recall anyone on this board running a BL with the PP setup, I'm probably wrong though.

I think lee was thinking about doing a BL with his PP setup, but he chose to go with spacers, not sure why though. I'm sure he'll chime in soon.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

if you only want to run 32, then the PP springs with HD bilsteins will be more than enough.

My wife runs this setup with 265/75 Revos.
it is great offroad and doesn't rub at all
Old 02-02-2006, 12:23 PM

I am running PP springs w/ bilstein shocks (no bodylift) and clear 32's easily.
I ended up with about a 1.75" lift in the end.

great handling on the road...a bit bouncy off-road (cause the springs and shocks are a bit stiff). But all around good setup for both. I have hit some logging roads, trails to some fishing honey-holes and playing in my backyard woods without any problems. (to date)

you don't need a bodylift to clear 32's.

you may want to check this out:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f37/most-complete-3rd-gen-4runner-lift-kit-ever-offered-featuring-tundra-trd-coils-77540/

The TRD Tundra setup...it seems to be the lift of choice around here. but I don't know if that falls within your budget?
-B
Old 02-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

IMO the TRD Tundra setup without Top Out spacer and LC coils in the rear are cheaper than the PP setup.
Plus the ride is softer---the HD shocks make it a little harsh
Old 02-02-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i also run the PP springs w/ bilstein HD shocks. a little bumpy but not bad. rebound effect is pretty well negated (i.e. railroad tracks)

its a good, proven combination if you dont intend to have tires over 32".

bob
Old 02-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
IMO the TRD Tundra setup without Top Out spacer and LC coils in the rear are cheaper than the PP setup.
Plus the ride is softer---the HD shocks make it a little harsh
Yeah, the PP spring/Bilstein combo is not cheap. You're looking at about $350 for the springs and at least $200, if not more, for the Bils.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:42 PM

The PP setup is now $657.77, 10% off the shocks. (Before Shipping)
Old 02-02-2006, 01:29 PM

Oh wow, I had no idea they were so expensive, I think I'll go with the Tundra/OME set up then. I'll let you guys now how it ends up. Thanks for all your input.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:04 AM

You can get OME gear for that much, probably less if you shop around. Also - what about runnign 2" spacers - simple, effective... probably the cheapest solution.

You won't need to run a BL to clear 32s.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:04 AM

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but, do you have to use the bilstein with the PP springs or could you buy the springs and chage out the shocks later? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but, do you have to use the bilstein with the PP springs or could you buy the springs and chage out the shocks later? Thanks.
I don't believe the stock shocks will be long enough to work with the new springs. Unless you have a '99.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Simon
You can buy the springs w/o the Bilsteins. Many go w/ the combo as these springs were designed to work w/ the Bilsteins.

The Bilsteins are replacement shocks for OEM so I don't think they're any longer but a few that have this setup can chime in. FilthyRich, Bob_98SR5 are two that come to mind.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
You can buy the springs w/o the Bilsteins. Many go w/ the combo as these springs were designed to work w/ the Bilsteins.

The Bilsteins are replacement shocks for OEM so I don't think they're any longer but a few that have this setup can chime in. FilthyRich, Bob_98SR5 are two that come to mind.
Cool, thanks for the info!

-Simon
Old 02-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

i have 1.5 inch spacers and i think i could clear 32s easily, i have no problems with the small spacers yous should consider them, cornfeds, they are a good value plus i have not had to change shocks yet, i am thinking about it but dont know what to get
Old 02-06-2006, 02:31 AM
Contributing Member

How much and what type of off roading will you see? Your cheapest bet would be a set of OEM '99 coils and new shocks if you need them and with the '99 coils you'll get nearly the extra inch you need to easily clear 265/75s with no rubbing issues and the cost for coils and springs will be under $400. If you plan on alot of wheelin' then you'll need something maybe a little stronger.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:34 PM

Back to the question Simon had earlier about not running the Bils with the PP springs. Couldn't I have run the PP springs with some softer shocks/struts? I like the idea of lifting 1.5-1.75 and gaining more control w/ less body roll, but dont want a stiffer ride that some seem to be getting from the PP/bils setup. Can anyone chime in about some PP combinations that could be ran? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 98runn'n
Back to the question Simon had earlier about not running the Bils with the PP springs. Couldn't I have run the PP springs with some softer shocks/struts? I like the idea of lifting 1.5-1.75 and gaining more control w/ less body roll, but dont want a stiffer ride that some seem to be getting from the PP/bils setup. Can anyone chime in about some PP combinations that could be ran? Thanks.
Others have chosen Trekmasters instead of Bilstein and have been very happy w/ on-road performance. I don't know of any of them running Trekmasters them w/ PP springs but you should get a "softer" ride from the Trekmasters but still have the performance.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 98runn'n
If you are looking at that kind of height, then you definately should be going the OME (similar to the setup I have in my sig) or Tundra coil route. Both will give you a great ride, no need for a body lift (and the hassles that go along with it). If you want less body roll then stiffer springs are better (offroad and on road are very different) or you can upgrade the sway bars (this is the route most take because they can be disconnected when going offroad).
Old 03-20-2006, 06:14 AM

Jaime, with your OME setup do you have problems with body roll? Do you wish you would of gone a little stiffer?

Quick Reply: Anyone running Performance Products lift and body lift?