Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone have a skid plate like this..need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have a skid plate like this..need help

Got this skid plate from a fellow yotatecher but he needed his bolts for his other skid plate. It came off a 2002 4runner and is going on a 2000 4runner. My question is what size are the bolts that mount the skid plate to the frame rail. I have went to the Toyota dealership and they tell me they dont even make a skid plate for a 2000 4runner. I also had them look up some newer model Tacoma's as I have read some people get those and modify them to fit the 4runner as it is cheaper than going the dealership way. Got the same response. Then he showed me the "supposed bolts his mechanics mount skid plates with" and they were way too small for the frame rail holes the plate lines up to. I read in another post the size is 10mmx1.5 but that is way too small! I went to home depot to try and find a match. The closest I could find was a 12mmx1.75. It actually fits the thread pattern but 1 major problem....the bolt is a course thread and the frame rail hole is a fine thread. They do not have these bolts in fine thread.......ughhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I'd rather not re-thread the frame rail if I don't have to!! Anybody know where I can get 4 of these dog-gone bolts so I can mount this skid plate??? Thanks in advance for any responses.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a skid plate like this..need help-p5090002.jpg  
Old 05-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1fast300ztt
Got this skid plate from a fellow yotatecher but he needed his bolts for his other skid plate. It came off a 2002 4runner and is going on a 2000 4runner. My question is what size are the bolts that mount the skid plate to the frame rail. I have went to the Toyota dealership and they tell me they dont even make a skid plate for a 2000 4runner. I also had them look up some newer model Tacoma's as I have read some people get those and modify them to fit the 4runner as it is cheaper than going the dealership way. Got the same response. Then he showed me the "supposed bolts his mechanics mount skid plates with" and they were way too small for the frame rail holes the plate lines up to. I read in another post the size is 10mmx1.5 but that is way too small! I went to home depot to try and find a match. The closest I could find was a 12mmx1.75. It actually fits the thread pattern but 1 major problem....the bolt is a course thread and the frame rail hole is a fine thread. They do not have these bolts in fine thread.......ughhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I'd rather not re-thread the frame rail if I don't have to!! Anybody know where I can get 4 of these dog-gone bolts so I can mount this skid plate??? Thanks in advance for any responses.
Try a bolt and screw supplyer I am sure you can find them there
Old 05-09-2008, 04:23 PM

It is the same bolt that holds the hook that is on passenger side of the frame. And, if you have that hook, you don't need any additional bolts. Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:11 PM

My luck... no tow hook, no bolts. Back to square 1. The moron that owned the truck before me must have taken it off.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:12 PM

Appreciate the replies, guys.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:23 PM

Go to a hardware store, park your car up front, and explain what the problem is to someone who works there.

Grab 3-4 metric bolts you think would work, test em out, find one that fits, then buy however many you need.

I've done it before...

Edit///

Just read you'd tried that. Try a bolt supplier. Usually they sell better bolts for cheaper.

maps.google.com <----- type in Bolt Supply, Martinsburg WV

Call some people and see if they can help!!!

Last edited by Cxrazy; 05-09-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:02 AM
Contributing Member

Do you have the skidplate brackets? The Tacoma brackets and the ones made for the official Sport skidplate on the '02 Runners are different;the 4Runner brackets place the plate to far forward and low for my tastes so I used a Tacoma plate and modded simple retangle brackets to move it forward about 3" to hug the bumper snugly.

I have pics here in my profile

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f79/...lander-118787/
Old 05-10-2008, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cxrazy
Go to a hardware store, park your car up front, and explain what the problem is to someone who works there.

Grab 3-4 metric bolts you think would work, test em out, find one that fits, then buy however many you need.

I've done it before...

Edit///

Just read you'd tried that. Try a bolt supplier. Usually they sell better bolts for cheaper.

maps.google.com <----- type in Bolt Supply, Martinsburg WV

Call some people and see if they can help!!!
I thought about trying that at a local hardware store but I figured that since the stores are so small, Lowes and Home depot would have a better selection. Couldn't find correct bolts either place. Lowes had the size below and the size above in fine thread in standard sizing...but no metric even close.....Grrrrrrr. Only problem with going to the hardware store is that I work Mon.-Sat 8-5. I'm sure you can guess when the hardware stores close around here....yup-5. Guess I'll have to try and sneak out a little early and try one day.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

I would say call your toyota dealer and ask what size the bolts are for your front tow hooks and see if they have any or know the size. just my 2 cents good luck
Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Do you have the skidplate brackets? The Tacoma brackets and the ones made for the official Sport skidplate on the '02 Runners are different;the 4Runner brackets place the plate to far forward and low for my tastes so I used a Tacoma plate and modded simple retangle brackets to move it forward about 3" to hug the bumper snugly.

I have pics here in my profile

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f79/...lander-118787/
Yes, I have the skidplate brackets. They are actually hidden in my picture. Never attached a picture on this site before and had a heck of a time figuring out how to shrink the picture from 248KB to 48KB to let me attach it. But you are correct, our brackets are a little different, however they mount in the same spot on the frame rail. I like how the skid plate fits on your's. Looks like it was meant to be there. I can't really tell how mine will look until I get the elusive bolts to even see where it lines up. Might even try going the way you did as the plate looks sharp on yours......if I can find the bolts..lol. What really burns me is the local Toyota parts dude looked up 2000-2002 4runner and didn't even show a skid plate option for those years. When he looked up the Taco's, it showed a completely different skidplate with about 4 bolts the size of my ink pen to attach to the frame. Make the doggone bolts the same size, Toyota!!! And if you don't, at least carry them in your shops!!!!! Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by mountainryder00
I would say call your toyota dealer and ask what size the bolts are for your front tow hooks and see if they have any or know the size. just my 2 cents good luck
Good idea man, can't believe I didn't think of that after Andrey's reply. Guess I was just too ticked off at Toyota parts guy. Hope he knows what a tow hook is...lol. thanks.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Officially only the '02 4Runner Sports had the skidplate option but that plate and brackets will fit any '99-'02 Runner. Before '02 you only had the Tacoma plate option which fits the pre '99 Runners perfectly but with the "fatlip" bumper I needed to make the extending brackets which was just two rectangle pieces of metal with corresponding bolt holes plus I need 4 more bolts/nuts.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:04 PM

Gotcha. Makes sense now. I just got back from Toyota dealership (think the parts guy is ready to ring my neck!) but finally I think I have hit paydirt. With Mountainryders advice, I asked him to pull up the tow hook on my 4runner and "voila".....the illustrious bolts were staring us right in the face!! I have ordered 4 of them....at $3.25 a piece.....Grrrrrrrrrr. But I have spent $20 in gas riding around looking and buying the wrong one's and returning them so what's another $13 gonna hurt. Anyways, I think my quest is finished as they should be in Tuesday morning. I can't thank all of you enough for the advice...really appreciate it. Love this site!!!!
Old 05-10-2008, 02:01 PM

The Tacoma skid plate instructions list the bolts as M12x20 Flange Head Bolts
Old 05-10-2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by blarchitect
The Tacoma skid plate instructions list the bolts as M12x20 Flange Head Bolts
Thanks man, that sounds like what I ordered (of course toyota has a long drawn out part number so it's hard to tell).
Old 05-12-2008, 10:14 AM

Glad to hear you found the bolts, you'll really like the way your 4Runner will look with that skidplate on. Mine was actually a Tundra/Sequoia skidplate that I had some trouble with because they use different brackets. I'm with X-AWDRiver on this one, I really don't like the way Toyota puts those skidplates on, they're too low and too far out. I brought mine in basically flush with the bumper, but also put a small layer of foam padding in between the skidplate and bumper. Good luck with the install!!

Old 05-12-2008, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should look sweet when you get it installed.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

^^^^Those are the proper '02 Runner brackets which doesn't look too bad on a truck with some lift to it.

I do like the idea of a bit if rubber or foam between the plate and bumper since mine is snug but hasn't showed any signs of rubbing.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:44 AM

Nice lookin' rigs you guys got.(last 3). Should have it mounted today...hopefully. Will get some pics on later. Don't know if I can bring the plate in too far. I've got a manik grille guard with that bottom crossbar that's gonna be pretty darn close to the skid plate it seems. Thanks again for the ideas guys.