Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone have a shop in NJ? Or any shadetree mechanics in the area?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have a shop in NJ? Or any shadetree mechanics in the area?

To make a long story short, I just recently bought a 93 runner and have been putting quite a bit of money into it (general maint, aftermarket audio, etc.) and have run into a roadblock.

I spent most of my money on the truck, and so my pockets are not very deep. I am experiencing a lot of the symptoms of the HG - but am not a skilled enough mechanic to do a true diagnostic (and I don't have the tools).

There are no local shops that I trust, and so I am wondering if anyone on here is in the area and could help me out (either personally, or refer me to a good shop).

Basically, I have white smoke out the tailpipe when I start up - it gets heavier when I hit the gas. It does seem to go away once I drive a little, but it is on and off in terms of getting worse. I also have a high idle when I start up sometimes despite checking coolant for air bubbles (and flushing it), and cleaning the TB and air filter.

The heat still works in the truck, but I am afraid to drive it in fear of blowing the HG if it is leaking. Is there any way that I could just tighten down the bolts or something? (read about this somewhere). Or should I just buy the parts and rip the truck apart in the street (live in an apartment so I don't have a garage)

Truck is up for sale/trades also, since I don't have the time/money to start changing out parts trying to figure out what is wrong. I would love to keep it but right now I am pretty upset about these issues and don't know if I have a way of fixing everything.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 11-08-2004, 09:48 AM

Bump - Would drive to PA as well if anyone over there has some diagnostic tools or has worked with 2nd Gen troubleshooting. A HG guru preferred - (worried, but hoping it is not the issue).
Old 11-08-2004, 11:08 AM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
which engine do you have? If I remember correctly, there were 3 powerplant choices:the 2.4 4cyl, the 3.0 and 3.4l v6....
First, pull the oil dipstick, does the oil on the stick look dark brown/black, or a super light brown or a white-ish color.I you can't tell, drain the oil. Also pull the spark-plugs to see if the treads or the electrode is wet. You could also pull the rocker cover off (or 1 if you gat a v6) and see i there are any white-ish globs of oil anywhere....I would start there I you haven't already....sorry I can't help you more than that.....
I don't think is has anything to do with it, BUT is the engine properly timed? <--just an off the wall shot in the dark.....hope you get worked out....

Last edited by drkgypsy; 11-08-2004 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the reply. I actually changed out my coolant and oil to check if one had mixed with the other and there was nothing that I saw which looked suspicious.

I know to check the plugs, I was just trying to avoid doing that until I had another set of wire - from what I understand, the ones that are on there will most likely rip when I try to take them off and put them back on again.

There is definitely something that is leaking a little bit, but the engine is not perfectly clean so it is hard to tell exactly what it is and where it is coming from (I might check out the spark plugs next weekend, and maybe even take off the intake tube and see if I can get in the engine bay and look around a little bit.

If anyone else lives in my area and might be able to help me out and take a look, I would appreciate it. I had heard something on here about drain plugs or spark plugs or something causing a "false alarm" with the HG - but I don't really know enough to diagnose anything at the moment (originally I thought it could be the water pump because I had some liquid coming out from behind the timing cover and leaking on my alternator - but I don't want to end up replacing that if the HG is the true problem (that and I am sure if the water pump went it probably ruined my timing belt - and the crank skrew sounds like it is a PITA to get off).

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 11-09-2004, 11:09 AM

Bump for some help.

I would like to try to address this problem myself, does anyone know of a good place to send the cylinder heads to? I live in NJ and don't know of any local shops that I can trust...

Also, how many days (working 1-2 hrs each, taking my time) would it take to change out the HG myself.

If anyone out there has done it and could help me along - I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TM93_SR5
Bump for some help.

I would like to try to address this problem myself, does anyone know of a good place to send the cylinder heads to? I live in NJ and don't know of any local shops that I can trust...

Also, how many days (working 1-2 hrs each, taking my time) would it take to change out the HG myself.

If anyone out there has done it and could help me along - I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Greetings,
I would send out the oil for analysis before I did anything. Also, where in NJ are you. I know of some good machine shops in the north end.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

OK, FIRST of all, make sure you;re not covered under the warranty for the HG.
THEN get a good diagnosis, even if you have to pay for it. However, you're not giving us enough info to help you out, like engine size, maintenance done so far, etc...

The leak you describe sounds alot like the timing chain wearing that was pretty common on the 4 cyl. A little more info will help...don't shoot that horse yet.

I don't know anybody in Jersey, but I do know that the collective power of Yotatech can help diagnose from afar. Worked for me!
Old 11-10-2004, 03:09 PM

Well, I was just in the process of replying to everyone - when I went outside to look over things again and the outcome was not good. The truck started, idled high, smoked, and then I turned it off to take a look under the hood.

A little bit of coolant was on the alt. again, and I could see the visable leak that I stupidly bought it with thinking it was just dirty. Opened up the oil cap and I had the white milky stuff on the top - HG it is.

So... has anyone on here done it, and how big of a PITA was it. Is it worth it?

Also, MvCrash - if you could email me (tmutaffis@yahoo.com) the names of those shops I would appreciate it, since if I do decide to take things apart I will have to make sure the cylinder heads are not warped.

If anyone is interested, I will sell the truck fairly cheaply - has an aftermarket stereo and great body - candidate for a swap or if you can do the HG yourself (but it would have to be towed from my house in NJ). Definitely open to trades - Jeeps, Tacos, etc.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Any luck on warranty?
Old 11-14-2004, 05:44 AM

The warrenty that I have covers everything but gaskets on trucks over 100K. The good thing is that they will cover any other parts that may need to be swapped out (water pump, cylinder heads - everything but belts and gaskets)

So if the new owner wants to completely rebuild the engine - they can get a lot of parts for free.

I will have pics up here this weekend.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:41 AM

I've been in Jersey for a few years now and I always go this shop in Roselle, the place is called Roselle bros., look it up on the yellow pages, I don't know how far you live from Roselle, but anyway this guys are really good and very friendly, it is a family owned shop and their prices are pretty fair.....I also live in an apt and can't do anything to my toy,u can always go to the dealer and pay a pretty penny but at least you'll have the runner going again......good luck