Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

anyone else remove their carpeting???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone else remove their carpeting???

i just ripped out all my carpeting in my rig. I sprayed it out real good and now i am stuck with what i want to do with it. I bought some truck bed liner and was going to just coat the inside with it...but now i am having second thoughts about it. has anyone else taken out their carpet and if so what did you do from there???

thanks
Old 04-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did just that. Put that duplicolor truck bed liner on. But I was impatient and didn't have the tools to do the prep work right, and that stuff will not take on top of the paint.

I'm debating on whether or not I want to try it myself again or just get it done by a shop that does bed liners.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bob200587
I did just that. Put that duplicolor truck bed liner on. But I was impatient and didn't have the tools to do the prep work right, and that stuff will not take on top of the paint.

I'm debating on whether or not I want to try it myself again or just get it done by a shop that does bed liners.

I'm thinking about doing this with Herculiner in my 87 4runner too - the carpet smells of mildew when wet due to a leak long ago, and well, it would be cool to not have to worry about getting stuff wet!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Philbert
I'm thinking about doing this with Herculiner in my 87 4runner too - the carpet smells of mildew when wet due to a leak long ago, and well, it would be cool to not have to worry about getting stuff wet!
It's great for that and you can just pull the drain plugs and give it a quick rinse when you get dirt or mud inside.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:47 AM

I removed my carpet about 5 years ago. I love being able to just spray it out with the hose, I also don't have doors on during the summer, so there are no worries when it rains now. I made diamond plate aluminum floormats afterwards to make it look a little better.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
that looks great - I wondered what had to be done with the wiring under the carpet but looks like you found a great solution -guess they weren't thin enough to run all under the kick guard under the door after all (I was hoping I could....maybe I can re ro0ute it all down the center tunnel where the shifter is....
Old 04-05-2010, 12:40 PM

My kids are destroying my carpet. It will come out soon.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

when i was removing my seats the rear left bolt on the driver seat and the rear right bolt on the passenger seat broke in half while ratcheting it out. what is the best way of getting the remainder of the bolts out of those holes so i can rebolt those corners down???
Old 04-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=cubuff4runner;51412139]I removed my carpet about 5 years ago. I love being able to just spray it out with the hose, I also don't have doors on during the summer, so there are no worries when it rains now. I made diamond plate aluminum floormats afterwards to make it look a little better.

that looks great... where did you get that tubing for the wires?? i am guessing a local hardware store will have something like that tho.

Last edited by noneckrex; 04-05-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I literally just pulled mine out of my truck

going to clean it up then herculine it
Old 04-05-2010, 04:55 PM

Looks like the factory plastic sill plates still fit?
Old 04-05-2010, 05:26 PM

I changed out my carpet awhile back after some used oil that I was taking to the drop off spill, you talk about a MESS.

I noticed without the carpet the road noise was pretty bad, so I ended up with marine AKA boat carpet. Its not the cheapest stuff but it doesn't have the mold and mildew problem like normal automotive carpet does. It has a sealed rubber backing so when you spill liquids on it, they stay on the surface of the carpet and never get between the carpet and the floor.

FOG
Old 04-05-2010, 05:40 PM

Do they make rubber or vinyl pre-fit floors for the 4runner? I drenched my interior getting stuck in a nasty mud hole. I have searched but have not seen any.

Also, how hot do your floorboards get with the truck bed liner and do you have problems with exhaust leaking into the cab.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by FogRunner
I noticed without the carpet the road noise was pretty bad
I seriously couldn't tell a difference between carpet and no carpet. The truck was already loud and I'm deaf
Old 04-06-2010, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by runner00
do you have problems with exhaust leaking into the cab.
Well if you were going to have an exhaust leak without carpet, you would get it with carpet.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:07 AM

[QUOTE=noneckrex;51412360]
Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
I removed my carpet about 5 years ago. I love being able to just spray it out with the hose, I also don't have doors on during the summer, so there are no worries when it rains now. I made diamond plate aluminum floormats afterwards to make it look a little better.

that looks great... where did you get that tubing for the wires?? i am guessing a local hardware store will have something like that tho.
It is just that plastic wire protector/wrap that you can get at a lot of electronics places. I believe I found the larger stuff at Radio Shack.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:10 PM

Has anyone thought of using small diameter Conduit or flex for the areas where the wires are exposed? Looks like all that stuff would fit in 1/2" flex, although pulling it through will be a pain unless you cut and make termination points. Hmmm.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:24 PM

I think I am going half and half... a new carpet kit for the front half and spray in bed liner for the rear. I will also make a carpet matt for the back that will go over the liner, so I can have it both ways.

Carpet and the jute below will sound deaden lower frquency noise and the soft fluffy part on top helps with higher frequencies. If you take the carpet total out it should be pretty loud, spray in bed liner will dampen some low frequency sound, but it's hard enough to allow sound to still bounce around.

I doubt most people will notice or care though.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

This is just the thread I needed to see! My rig has been doing a lot of sitting and the carpets are getting pretty rank. What sort of problems are you having with the bed liner sticking? What sort of prep are you suppose to do for bed liner? Has anyone gotten a quote to have it done professionally?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by turboale
This is just the thread I needed to see! My rig has been doing a lot of sitting and the carpets are getting pretty rank. What sort of problems are you having with the bed liner sticking? What sort of prep are you suppose to do for bed liner? Has anyone gotten a quote to have it done professionally?

Thanks!
I used herculiner on mine and followed the prep directions and it has held up fine. I don't have and chips.

Quick Reply: anyone else remove their carpeting???