Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anybody used a Curt brand tube style receiver hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Anybody used a Curt brand tube style receiver hitch?

As far as the factory hitches go, they just look so big and ugly! Take a look at http://www.curtmfg.com/round-hitch.html They look like they'll be much less visible, and it's cool to be able to have a choice in powdercoat colors. I've personally seen them on display a couple of times and their finish looks superior to anything I've ever seen. I don't know about you guys, but in Minnesota most hitches look completely rusted out within a couple years. If you've got pics please post!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:45 AM

Thread jack! I don't have the runner anymore. I now have an 01 TRD v6 xcab gold!

Has anyone tried this?

Curt hitch front mount:

http://www.bageco.com/hitchlistfe/curttoyfe.htm

I'm thinking of buying this so I can mount a winch. Not bad for $108.

It also has an optional skid plate for $20

Old 10-04-2005, 11:51 AM

I have a curt hitch on my 2000 taco and it has been on since 2001. it is tucked behind the bumper and no rust yet! and i live in wisconsin where they use way too much salt in the winter.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by mudnsnow
I have a curt hitch on my 2000 taco and it has been on since 2001. it is tucked behind the bumper and no rust yet! and i live in wisconsin where they use way too much salt in the winter.
Is it a front mount or a rear mount? I'm looking at getting a front mount and I was wondering how it looks on a yota. Prolly too much junk hanging down for the type of crawlin I like to do.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:57 PM
Banned

its a trailer hitch. if you care about it looks, dont tow anything....
Old 10-04-2005, 01:10 PM

Well for instance it will be mounted to the front of my vehicle. A 2" square hitch-winch mount will fit in there. The only reason I care how it looks is to be certian that I won't be catching it on every other rock I try and climb over. I have a hitch for the rear. Read the post next time. I made it pretty clear what I wanted to do with it. I won't be towing anything.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cvlighthouse
Well for instance it will be mounted to the front of my vehicle. A 2" square hitch-winch mount will fit in there. The only reason I care how it looks is to be certian that I won't be catching it on every other rock I try and climb over. I have a hitch for the rear. Read the post next time. I made it pretty clear what I wanted to do with it. I won't be towing anything.
YOU read the psot next time .... if you look @ the first post in this thread, the poster states it looks ugly.....
Old 10-04-2005, 01:35 PM

Okay I jacked this one fair and square. Almost a year later...

(Now I'm defending the first guy's post lol) It's different than a stock hitch. This one is hidden. Since when does caring how your truck looks result in not towing anything? He obviously has found a solution to your dry answer.

Here is a better one:
If you care about looks, don't refrain from towing anything. Just buy a Curt hitch like mudnsnow has done. Look Ma, no rust!

Man I should have started my own thread on this one...

Anyone? Front mount square hitch for their taco. Used for mounting a winch like this: http://store.yahoo.com/supertrucksusa/mulmounrecwi.html
Old 10-04-2005, 01:48 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
If you really want it to not rust, best bet is paint. Powder coat can stand up to abuse, that's why it's popular, but it's not very good for rust prevention, especially if it cannot be washed off easily. Powdercoat is polyester, and polyester does not osmotically resist moisture intrustion... In the marine environment we don't ever powder coat anything - rusts or corrodes right from underneath. No warning sometimes till it fails. Aluminum gets hard anodised and steel gets epoxy coatings, then paint. Or galvanized if it won't be continually submerged.

Having said all that, some companies do a much better job powder coating (probably prepping better too) and use a better quality coating. Some lasts longer than others.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
If you really want it to not rust, best bet is paint. Powder coat can stand up to abuse, that's why it's popular, but it's not very good for rust prevention, especially if it cannot be washed off easily. Powdercoat is polyester, and polyester does not osmotically resist moisture intrustion... In the marine environment we don't ever powder coat anything - rusts or corrodes right from underneath. No warning sometimes till it fails. Aluminum gets hard anodised and steel gets epoxy coatings, then paint. Or galvanized if it won't be continually submerged.

Having said all that, some companies do a much better job powder coating (probably prepping better too) and use a better quality coating. Some lasts longer than others.

watch out flamed, cvlighthouse isnt the one who originally posted about the rust issue, it was someone else.... he will jump down your throat and call you a moron any minute now... jsut as his (edited) did to me a few minutes ago
Old 10-04-2005, 01:54 PM

Okay I jacked this one fair and square. Almost a year later...

(Now I'm defending the first guy's post lol) It's different than a stock hitch. This one is hidden. Since when does caring how your truck looks result in not towing anything? He obviously has found a solution to your dry answer.

Here is a better one:
If you care about looks, don't refrain from towing anything. Just buy a Curt hitch like mudnsnow has done. Look Ma, no rust!

Man I should have started my own thread on this one...

Anyone? Front mount square hitch for their taco. Used for mounting a winch like this: http://store.yahoo.com/supertrucksusa/mulmounrecwi.html

Nice HIjack! Cracked me up.
Be sure and secure the multimount when not in use. Secure it very carefully. Accidents happen...
When my father had his wreck the multimount was in a receiver bolted in the pickup bed, the receiver was bolted through the fender well with 4 bolts and had a backing plate (roughly 3" x 8") underneath. It tore out the entire top of the fender well, the winch ended up 100 feet from the truck. Luckily it took the 'out the top of the canopy' route instead of the 'through the cab of the pickup' route in the process... Would suck to survive the semi and get offed by the winch...
(edit: Okay, I exaggerated - I looked at the pics again <shudder> and the winch went out the top of the canopy, bounced off the semi and ended up about 20 feet behind the truck.) See it on the right in the pic. (Caution: actual Toyotas were seriously harmed in the making of this photo!)
Attached Thumbnails Anybody used a Curt brand tube style receiver hitch?-mvc-0001fsm.jpg  

Last edited by Flamedx4; 10-04-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Nice HIjack! Cracked me up.
Be sure and secure the multimount when not in use. Secure it very carefully. Accidents happen...
When my father had his wreck the multimount was in a receiver bolted in the pickup bed, the receiver was bolted through the fender well with 4 bolts and had a backing plate (roughly 3" x 8") underneath. It tore out the entire top of the fender well, the winch ended up 100 feet from the truck. Luckily it took the out the top of the canopy route instead of the through the cab of the pickup route in the process...
watch out again, cvlicknuthouse is talking about a front receiver, not a rear one.....

total thread hijack, he went from someone asking about an ugly rear hitch and started asking about a front hitch...

Last edited by jimabena74; 10-04-2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Banned

its been a year, i dont think 98LimitedCustomized will mind...

Last Activity: 03-28-2005 10:41 AM
Old 10-04-2005, 02:03 PM

Hey I gots senority here, Jimabendover4me... I wasn't calling anyone names either. Way to toot your own horn in your sig there buddy...
Old 10-04-2005, 02:05 PM

Its not all bad, I got 3 good laughs from one thread. Gotta like that!
Old 10-04-2005, 02:11 PM

Nice1 Does your dad want to sell that winch laying on the ground there? lol How bout the battery start jumper thing laying there too? I remember your fathers accident a while back. That was some crazy ลลลลt. https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....achmentid=7120
Old 10-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Banned

Way to toot your own horn in your sig there buddy...
damn skippy i wasnt tuting my own horn, jsut uqoted what flamedx4 said about me in another thread

and senority means nothing MUAHAHAAHHA jsut because i am younger doesnt mean i know less than you about vehicles, hell i know about front hitches

Last edited by jimabena74; 10-04-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:23 PM

It's okay, I get called a moron and worse all the time.
No, the winch was damaged beyond repair. Well, beyond reasonable repair anyway. The jumper pack still works fine though!

Dad is doing pretty fine, all things considered. He has been going fishing again, he sent me a pic just the other day holding a 36" salmon he caught. He recovers well enough to go fishing, then they do another operation. He's mostly titanium and stuff like that now! Will be a long time yet before he's normal, whatever that means..
Old 10-04-2005, 02:26 PM

[quote: Originally Posted by Flamedx4
take the most excellent advice given by Jimabena]

Oh yeah, the Chalk Test. That's where you put chalk on your hand and run over it with truck. If the tire marks are even, the inflation pressure is perfect....

Hey, its a mulitply hijacked resurrected dead thread, so anything goes..
Old 10-04-2005, 02:38 PM

Man you guys like to sneek those edited post in over here. lol

Senority by means of Join date.. lol

Flamed, That's great to hear your dad is doing okay. I'm way jelouse of the 36" salmon. We don't get quite that size over here in the Monterey Bay.

mulitply hijacked resurrected dead thread.. Fuggin crack me up man!

Anyways, I like the idea of mounting a square hitch on the front of the 01 taco.. I'm supprised that nobody has done it (or chimed in yet) I better cut my losses here and start a new "show us a picture of your Tacoma with a square hitch mounted on the front" thread...

Quick Reply: Anybody used a Curt brand tube style receiver hitch?