Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Any others have Addco swaybars on their 3rd gens?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any others have Addco swaybars on their 3rd gens?

Just got my Addcos installed and what a difference. Even with the 3" lift, I think the current setup (Addcos, Bilsteins, 16X8 wheels, 265/75/16 tires) vs. stock (OEM swaybars and shocks, 15" wheels, 31X10.5.15 tires) is much better.

I spent some time after getting them installed searching for others that have Addcos. I found a post where there was a problem with the clamps cracking:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ighlight=addco.

It seems like Addco has tweaked their design based on yotatech member feedback. Since this was an old post, I was hoping no one else with a 3rd gen has experienced problems with the Addcos.

If the design is fine, this is definitely an upgrade worth having if you spend a lot of time driving on-road. The truck handles so well and the "fun to drive" factor has increased substantially.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:09 AM

i didnt replace my oem with addco but just last night i threw on some ES bushings and endlink bushings as well. just with these bushings on the oem bar i noticed a big difference on winding roads and on the highway when windy. If i noticed this , then im sure the addco's must be a world of difference!
Old 10-09-2005, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Godzilla
i didnt replace my oem with addco but just last night i threw on some ES bushings and endlink bushings as well. just with these bushings on the oem bar i noticed a big difference on winding roads and on the highway when windy. If i noticed this , then im sure the addco's must be a world of difference!
Yeah, the Addcos appeared to be double the size of the OEM bars and are solid vs. the hollowed stocks. They do handle really well.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Banned

i agree! I have the ES bushings and wow! the handling is much better. Now a performance sway bar w/es bushings...wowww
Old 10-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry for the newb question but what are ES bushings? I understand that polyurethane are better than the OEM rubber bushings but what company is this? I searched but everyone kees saying "ES."
Old 10-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Sorry for the newb question but what are ES bushings? I understand that polyurethane are better than the OEM rubber bushings but what company is this? I searched but everyone kees saying "ES."
ohh sorry for the lack of detail. ES stands for Energy Suspension. http://www.top4runners.com/ja/ . you can order these from www.summitracing.com. You mind as well get some quick discos too!

Last edited by rworegon; 08-03-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:13 AM

what bushings did you use with your addco's? Just as a heads up, the Es bushings have a grease fitting on them so they can be lubed up to stop squeaks. Im not sure what comes in the addco kit.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

what bushings did you use with your addco's? Just as a heads up, the Es bushings have a grease fitting on them so they can be lubed up to stop squeaks. Im not sure what comes in the addco kit.
The kit came with bushings. I'm assuming they're Addco bushings but am not certain.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been thinking about the Addco setup myself since my OME setup is VERY plush (which rides just fantastic and absorbs bumps like crazy) but it does tend to body roll more in the corners since it is a softer setup.

What did the total setup run you?
Old 10-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I have been thinking about the Addco setup myself since my OME setup is VERY plush (which rides just fantastic and absorbs bumps like crazy) but it does tend to body roll more in the corners since it is a softer setup.

What did the total setup run you?
I wish I listened to everyone on this board when I was upgrading my suspension. As a dumb newb, I went with what I knew (Bilsteins) and to get the lift went with spacers. Everytime I hear how great the Tundra setup is or how nice OMEs are, I feel crappy.

OK, to answer your question, I paid $255 for the front and rear sway bars. My buddy did the install and normally I sit around and help out where I can. I didn't have time yesterday but he told me the fronts were a PITA for some reason. I'll ask and post later. I figure if you're handy, it would just be the cost of the bars. BTW, the price includes new polyurethane bushings; I just don't know which ones.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ebelen1
I wish I listened to everyone on this board when I was upgrading my suspension. As a dumb newb, I went with what I knew (Bilsteins) and to get the lift went with spacers. Everytime I hear how great the Tundra setup is or how nice OMEs are, I feel crappy.

OK, to answer your question, I paid $255 for the front and rear sway bars. My buddy did the install and normally I sit around and help out where I can. I didn't have time yesterday but he told me the fronts were a PITA for some reason. I'll ask and post later. I figure if you're handy, it would just be the cost of the bars. BTW, the price includes new polyurethane bushings; I just don't know which ones.
Don't worry about chosing the wrong suspension, some people on YT go though suspension setups like toilet paper. If you want something else, just look in the for sale section (OME stuff pops up there alot, I got my 881s on there) and you should get it for a decent price. Then sell the spacers and bils on eBay to recoup some cashflow.

Yeah, the install is no problem.....it just getting the stuff across the boarder that is a PITA.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
ohh sorry for the lack of detail. ES stands for Energy Suspension. http://www.top4runners.com/ja/ . you can order these from www.summitracing.com. You mind as well get some quick discos too!
I read the thread on the Addco bushings squeaking. I'll wait and see. If this happens, what was the part number for the ES bushings you bought at Summit Racing? I did a search and no Toyota shows up, only Ford and Mazda.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-03-2014 at 11:23 AM.