Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Any one installed Headers on their 3.4 ?

Old 08-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one installed Headers on their 3.4 ?

well my old vintage 1998 muffler has developed a hole. Ive got a Borla Catback system on the way but im considering putting some headers on there too since im gonna do the exhaust.

How difficult of an install is it ?
Any decent power gains ?
Long term issue with a tubular header ?

Thanks dudes
Old 08-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

i have heard it is a pain, i would like to do it though myself, if you get it done let me know how hard it was.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

<96runner> did. I believe it was a PITA
Old 08-28-2005, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here're some words on my experience:

http://midiwall.com/4Runner/headers.html

If you have an auto, the install is a PITA, a manual tranny is a bit easier to work around to get the crossover pipe out - but not much. Past having to deal with the old crossover, there are a couple of bolts at the end of the flanges that are just horrid to work with.

Whose headers are you looking to go with? Anyone's but TRD will need some work on the new crossover. TRD's install with a crossover above the trans, everyone else is underneath. If you go under, then give some though to the question of "how will I get to the trans pan with the crossover running across there?". The shop that did mine didn't think about that up front, and I had them re-do it.

Power gains... It looks like you're N/A, and as such, the gains will be minimal. You'll pick up a bit of torque on the bottom end, and the powerband in general will shift down the RPM scale a bit. The power gains are simply NOT worth the cost of headers & install.

If you're S/C'd - or are thinking of becoming such SOON, then that's a different story. Getting the engine to exhale better is a good thing when it's inhaling so much more air.

Long term issues - I'm coming up on the end of my 2nd year with them, and the end of the 1st with a supercharger - no issues to date.

As an aside, while you have your exhaust down, replace your cat with a Magnaflow HiFlow:

http://stores.ebay.com/Performance-C...erLinksQQtZkm?
(get the right size for your exhaust pipe!)

I did mine a couple of months ago - VERY nice!
Old 08-28-2005, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah thats why i backed off on headers. It's only worth it if your goined SC'ed. Aside from the obvious simple upgrades. Thats pretty much it.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
Im considering the Downey headers. Theyre only like 300 which is a DEAL compared to the TRD, and i think Downey has pretty good quality.

The truck only gets driven one or twice a week, so i dont mind a long install. I plan on doing it myself any ways so its no big deal if it takes a few weeks.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stegall984R
Im considering the Downey headers. Theyre only like 300 which is a DEAL compared to the TRD, and i think Downey has pretty good quality.

The truck only gets driven one or twice a week, so i dont mind a long install. I plan on doing it myself any ways so its no big deal if it takes a few weeks.
'k.... two more tidbits:

- Use the STANDARD STOCK Toyota manifold gaskets when installing them. Don't use the ones that ship with it, don't use TRDs, don't use something exotic. The stock ones work the best.

- Think about replacing all of the manifold studs. The issue comes from when you pull off the stock manifolds, it's possible that you'll back out one or more of the studs a couple of threads - or all the way. That can weaken their grip... A complete new set is about $40.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

If I could go back in time I would steer clear of headers. As a side note, with the Edelbrock's I could not use the stock manifold gaskets. The stock gasket "hole" was surprisingly larger than the actual Edelbrock header opening, which made me a bit concerned. So, I chose to use the Edelbrock-supplied gaskets with no problems since.

I have a laundry-list of other little quirks that should be taken into consideration if you are seriously thinking you still want to go with headers. So let me know.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

I had Toyota install them and it took them 2 weeks. They ordered the wrong cat-back, even when I gave them the numbers, and they said they had pulled the engine forward to install the headers.

Power was minimal that you notice. The RPM's shot up very quick compared to stock. They TRD have very thick flanges, way better quality than some other exhausts I have seen.

The SS finish isn't so hot after it's been on awhile.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 08-29-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
I have a laundry-list of other little quirks that should be taken into consideration if you are seriously thinking you still want to go with headers. So let me know.

im really considering the donweys still, they dont have a mid pipe like the factory or the TRDs so ill have to have some sort of custom fitting made to get the drive side back in line with the cat back, but im not to conserned with that.