Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Any Idea whats wrong with my transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Idea whats wrong with my transmission?

I have a 1991 Toyota P/U Extra cab with the 3.0 Litre V-6. About a year ago I had the head gasket go. I considered many different swaps, but never came up with enough money to do it right so the truck just sat. Then one day I found a donor vehicle. The body was shot , but the engine was great. I purchased the vehicle, contacted some friends and planned a weekend swap. Fate intervened and I was laid up recuperating from emergency hernia surgery. My friends decided to continue without me. The swap went great no major issues. Before we put the engine in it got a complete tune-up and a new clutch. A matched set I might add (whatever the hell that means). I even had the buds put in a new slave cylinder. At first we thought the problem was air in the hydraulic lines, but have since bled the living hell out of the master cylinder. I still cannot disengage the clutch. I can't shift in or out of gear with the truck running. If I try to start it in gear with the clutch pedal down it lurches forward as if it were in gear. We have replaced the slave cylinder again to make sure that wasn't the problem. we removed the transmission to make sure that everything was cool with the throwout bearing. We have no idea what the problem is. I have great pedal pressure and the fork on the tranny is moving, but not enough to disengage the clutch. Can anyone give us some ideas what else to check before I buy a tranny. It drove fine before the head gasket went. What could have changed? Please help.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:43 PM
Banned

sounds liek the either the mc or the slave is not functioning properly

it doesnt soundl ike its a tranny issue
Old 08-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

I'm no expert, but is it possible that it got way out of adjustment? If I remember right, I had a problem with my 82's tranny, and all it ended up being was adjustment. Again, I'm not a expert, but it's possible, isn't it?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Hello all,
Ok, we have now replaced the clutch MC and the slave cylinder. Nothing has changed. I found a guy with a similar truck to mine and asked him to stop by so we could compare a few things. At rest his slave cylinder rod is almost touching the release fork coming out of the side of the tranny. Mine has a very noticeble larger gap. When you step on his clutch pedal the rod engages the fork and begins to push it. Mine the rod travels most of its distance before it engages and that why the clutch won't release. Now the questions. The parts store has double checked the part number and swears that it is the right clutch for my truck, but since I am paranoid could the box been packed wrong at the factory? My truck is a 1991 the donor engine is from a 1990. Is there a major difference between the years? Should I buy another clutch and check them side by side? Should I buy a different brand of clutch and check them side by side? Should I consider another tranny even though I don't think there is anything wrong with it? I believe the problem is with the clutch or the hydraulic system. Should I tow the truck to the junkyard and ask to push the button to crush it? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. The tranny is seperated from the engine so all options are open. Thanks again.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:17 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Sounds to me like maybe the clutch fork is installed wrong.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:32 AM
Contributing Member

If the fork moves it's most likely the clutch or the disc. Maybe the disc is too thick or you may have gotten a pull type clutch (supra) instead of the push style. Those look identical.
You can also feel, and probably see, if the fork is properly mounted on the ball inside the bellhouse.
I know its a lot of work, but replacing the new complete clutch with your old one should show what's the problem.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

And the prize goes to...............................4runner4ever . The part number on the clutch was correct, but the clutch inside the box was wrong . I finally went to a local off road store on Friday called United Off Road in Clarence New York and bought a LuK clutch. It was more money, but after installing the LuK clutch and positioning the transmission, and putting in two bolts there is already a significantly smaller gap. Once everything is tightened up my mechanic thinks the problem will be solved . So I have installed some parts that I don't need, but that should be a benefit later on. AutoZone took back the original clutch and gave me my money back. They even offered to take back any of the parts that were purchased there that I didn't really need, but as stated I will keep them. I thought that I was going to have a problem since the parts were installed and had grease and brake fluid on and in them. I hope that this is the end of my saga and I will post a final wrap-up once everything is done. Thanks to all the Yotatech user who chimed in. It really helps when there is a general consensus among users and the independent ideas help you look at things that you may not have considered. I am not a mechanic and boards like this really help. I have made a contribution to the board and will make another once my tagline changes. Anyone who has received help here should consider doing the same if you haven't already. I was almost ready to buy a new transmission because we were out of options. The help on this board kept me focused and looking in the right direction. I guess I place too much trust in parts stores that you are getting the right part. Thanks agin.