Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Any Help Would be Appreciated, Truck Hesitating at speed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Help Would be Appreciated, Truck Hesitating at speed.

Hi folks,
So here is what is going on. I have a 1999 toyota 4runner 5 speed manual 3.4 liter 4x4. It has a new clutch, master and slave in November. It recently had a tune up with new plugs, wires, throttle body cleaned and a new fuel filter. I got a code for a failing tps, and replaced it. Also, it is due for a new timing belt in 500 miles.

Right before I had the engine tuned up and right after I replaced the tps I started to notice lurching while driving at speed. Its as if the truck stutter steps and picks back up, I can feel it come on and avoid a rough time by letting off the gas and then slowly applying it, it usually happens at a constant speed, and can be accelerated out of. Also, it happens more in the morning when it is cold outside, on my commute to work. Please note I let the truck warm up every morning prior to driving it. I drive 100 miles a day, and just bought a 05 taco, so I'm looking to sell this truck, but I don't want to strap someone with the problem. Any suggestions, it is driving me crazy. Also, there are no engine lights or codes poping. There is no loss of mileage getting 19.67 per gallon at fill up with 91 like always.

Thanks folks,
-Jon
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03 AM
FormerVendor

Were the symptoms the same before and after you replaced the TPS?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:47 PM

Hi folks,
I just wanted to update this thread. I had originally replaced the TPS sensor prior to the symptoms described above. I went into a shop in town and oddly enough the guy had a 2000 4runner with exactly the same symptoms. The lady that owned it described exactly what I described. Lurching and almost a slack in throttle response. The guy said she had had a tps code thrown earlier and he replaced the tps from Napa which is where he gets his parts. No code afterwards but same symptoms as I had. He replaced the tps a second time same thing. He had to run a series of tests but found out the both TPS units were bad. I had purchased mine at Pep Boys same brand, and same batch number. Took it back there they gave me a new one ( I check the production number, new batch) put it on and wham better throttle response and no more lurching or hesitating.

This process also cost me though. While trying to figure out the problem I replaced the wires, cleaned the throttle body, coils. tested them; also replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor. Nothing helped until I finally re replaced the TPS.

Hope this helps someone in my postion. Don't just trust that the part you put on is in good working order even if its new.

Selling the 4runner today, just brought home my new to me Tacoma.

Have a muddy Spring,
-Jon