Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Any fiberglass gurus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any fiberglass gurus?

I've been reading up on fiberglass and other composites. I'd like to make a gauge pod panel for my 4Runner that would replace the cover on the top of the steering column. Nobody makes these commercially, and 2 pods on the pillar just isn't enough. I was thinking 2 or 3 over the steering column would be perfect.

So, what could I use to make a mold using the existing cover?
Old 01-22-2005, 07:33 AM

i got a pic of mine my brother made for my tac out of fiberglass and body filler,send me your email and ill send u a pic if u could post it

Last edited by brendonv; 01-22-2005 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

alan@newhorizonsccu.org
Old 01-22-2005, 08:09 AM

how to

The best way I have found is to make a "plug" with high density foam, then make the "mold" from the plug and then you can make as many actual parts from the mold as you want. When using high density foam, make sure to get it really smooth. Then if possible, coat the foam with a plastic spray that can be shot out of a paint gun. If you find a place that supplies the resin and fiberglass, you should be able to find everything else you will need. You can also make a wood "plug" but this would be a lot harder than foam. This is obviously not all the details but if you have questions just ask.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:51 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I second the styrofoam plug method.
I've made a few one-off fiberglass pieces such as air dams and fender flares (and I build and/or remodel sailboats as a hobby.) Since I never wanted a second part, I just glassed the foam part (I only use epoxy resin so it doesn't melt the foam.) Once you have the fiberglass faired and smooth, use acetone to melt the foam out of it. Wear gloves, a mask etc, and do it outside.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:30 PM

'Glass cap?

Hows about somethin' a little bit bigger?
Say a canopy? anybody done it?
Can it be done with relative ease?
I'm figuring a plywood mold with a 2x4 frame should do it?
got a custom design in mind would love to pull it off if possible..
ie.. 10 beer maximum time allotment...
Old 01-23-2005, 04:29 AM

sure

I think a canopy would be possible. You might want to incorporate some sort of reinforcements for it. How many layers were you planning and what kind of glass/material?
Old 01-24-2005, 05:45 AM

Alan, there's a place called plasticare behind Red and Jerry's. They will have everything that you need.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yellowspeedracer
Alan, there's a place called plasticare behind Red and Jerry's. They will have everything that you need.
Oh, yeah! I forgot about that place! I'll have to pay them a visit tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:49 AM

Pickup cap would be pretty easy - don't have to trust your life to it, not like a boat, y'know? Go to www.systemthree.com and download The Epoxy Book. A wealth of how to and how not to. I would buy high density foam sheets, about 3/4" stuff, and cut, glue, shape and sand that. Then glass it, inside and out. Very light, very strong, sandwhich and you do all sorts of shapes with it with ease. You could even recess the windows so they fit flush etc...

Another site that would just show you some possibilities for foam/glass just popped into my mind - http://www.rqriley.com/frp-foam.htm (I built one of those years ago...)
Old 01-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Pickup cap would be pretty easy - don't have to trust your life to it, not like a boat, y'know? Go to www.systemthree.com and download The Epoxy Book. A wealth of how to and how not to. I would buy high density foam sheets, about 3/4" stuff, and cut, glue, shape and sand that. Then glass it, inside and out. Very light, very strong, sandwhich and you do all sorts of shapes with it with ease. You could even recess the windows so they fit flush etc...

Another site that would just show you some possibilities for foam/glass just popped into my mind - http://www.rqriley.com/frp-foam.htm (I built one of those years ago...)

I would strongly second that. I have done tons of fiberglass, a top would be pretty easy and sweet. I might do a thin sheet of plywood, to mount piano hinge for the the rear window, the side windows and to clamp it down on the bed and high dense foam around it to sand down to give nice round corners and recess the windows flush. After that it is easier than frosting a cake.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:00 AM

Agreed, I would put wood in whereever you need fasteners. An other way to add strength for fasteners is to drill out the area larger than needed and fill it with thickened epoxy, then redrill through the epoxy the right size, but it's time consuming and a lot more work. The advantage (we do this with boats a lot) is that it can never rot.