Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Antenna Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antenna Replacements

Does anybody know of a good replacement antenna for a 2nd. Generation Runner, the one in my sig...I don't want a motorized one...I want one that is good for trail riding. One that can withstand gettin hit by big branches and stuff...like they have on the later model Silverados.

A longer than normal one would be nice too that way I could get radio stations even down the lowest of places here in the Ozarks.

I think you guys will know what I'm talkin' about...if not, you can PM me and I can give you some more details or a picture of one if I can find it.........

Thx.

Old 07-17-2003, 02:43 PM

i dont know if this will help you much but here is a thread i saved from some time ago about what you are wanting. Here
Old 07-17-2003, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the same thing as UK Myers. I think I'll be upgrading to the black Taco mast though.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

So I can get that straight from Toyota? Only 26 bux???? DANG!

I'm gonna call up my local Toyota Dealer and see what they can do for me, thanks again guys!

I'll let ya know if I run into any trouble!

Old 07-17-2003, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pull the right front wheel and fender liner - you'll be glad you did.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's the write up that UK Myers is referring to:

http://www.4runners.org/articles/whip

Don't ahve to buy all the parts as this is for a 3rd gen---and my understanding of what the 2nd gen'rs like UK and Cebby did.

Bob
Old 07-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

I've heard different things about new antennas. The guy at my local auto parts store said it is hard to find antennas that actually fit in the whole that was already there from the factory...but since it sounds like this antenna is coming straight from Toyota...maybe this one is different.

I should just be able to call my Toyota dealer and tell them what I want and they can get it for me right? I will probably end up having them put it in for me since I think I get a discount when buying the part from them and also having them do the work for it. All about the $$$ to them I guess.

Thx. for the replies guys!

Old 07-17-2003, 11:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When my power antenna gave up the ghost, I replaced it with a Firestik:

http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/firestik.html
Old 07-18-2003, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

So is there no online dealer to get it from? And is there any cutting or sanding involved in making the Firestik go into the factory made hole.

Another thing is I have a 2nd. Gen., should that matter?

I think what I may do is call my Toyota dealer first and see how much they will charge me for the whole setup...then decide.

If that doesn't work, I will go to AutuZone and see what they have. If THAT doesn't work, then I'll research the FireStik some more. It sounds like you have make your own mounting point, but you're the one that has it...do you?

Thanks for the reply man!

Old 07-18-2003, 06:51 AM

I think I listed the source that I got mine from on that page: ALF Enterprises (http://www.alfenterprises.com/antennas/amfmantenna.htm). They're local to me so I drove over there, but they also do mail order.

2nd gen wise, it shouldn't make a difference. I pulled out the old power antenna, mounted the new base in it's place, and then screwed the antenna onto the new base. Check Bob's writeup (he gave the link in a previous message) for a good overview of getting the old antenna out.

AutoZone wise.. I started out with that concept as well, but didn't get decent reception until I did this.

And as for the dealer... I think I mentioned that on the page as well. They wanted $32 _just_ for the Tacoma rod (which wouldn't help me since I was starting from a power antenna base), and $140 for the base and rod.

The Tacoma whip that folks are using is "wrapped" like the FireStik is which increases it's effective length, which increases it's sensitivity. If you really want to pull in all you can, then look at something like the 4 foot version of what I have. It's only a buck more and has a much larger surface area.

Note that you will _NOT_ be able to just screw the FireStick onto your stock base. You'll need a new base as well. You can get an adapter, but the FireStik base and coax lead-in is soooooooooo much better.

Trail wise.. The Taco whip has a lot of flex to it, which is good for trails.

The FireStick is rigid, and that can be a good and bad thing. You can get a whip base (talk to Alvin from ALF for options) which can help in trails, or you can leave it rigid and let it cut through the trees.

Personally, I unscrew the AM/FM antenna from the base when I'm playing in the dirt. The mount itself is solid, but the fender sheet metal isn't the thickest stuff in the world. It's also a PITA to get up in there with a wrench and REALLY tighten it down, so if the antenna snags on some low overhanging stuff, then it will tend try to twist the area around the fender.

Have fun!
Old 07-18-2003, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Well, sounds like I am going to have to look some more. I definately need something that will flex a lot. I talked to another guy azdragon I believe that has a rubber antenna that he got from AutoZone and he said that it gets very good reception...the nice thing is...those are cheap so I can try that for a few weeks and see if it works, and if not then go with something else.

But the FireStik is definately still an option...thanks for taking the time to explain it all to me.

Old 07-18-2003, 07:02 AM

No sweat Chris.. Good luck!

The "rubber duckies" may be an option for you. I used one for a bit but had reception issues with it in this area. Like you say though, they're cheap (under $10) so you can try it for a while and see if you like it. Plus, it will screw right onto your old base.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

I thought you had to have a whole new base. I can use a rubber ducky with my old motorized base?

Old 07-18-2003, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
I thought you had to have a whole new base. I can use a rubber ducky with my old motorized base?
Oh... your old base is motorized!

Then yes, you'll need a new base. It's still cheap though.

You could hack the rubber duckie onto the old base, and kill the power to the base so it won't try to move, but that's gonna look REAL cheesy.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah...what I have right now is the stock antenna...but the motor can't move the antenna for some reason. Thankfully its stuck in the up position and not down

Thx.