Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another Zaino Convert

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Another Zaino Convert

I spent 5 hours today working on a friends 97' Avalon. He just got it and I volunteered to try to salvage the dark blue metalic/clear coat finish.

I started with the "Corey Cable" with "3M Perfect It-II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound" which is clearcoat safe. The car had swirls and scratches all over. Who ever owned it before maintained it well but just did not know how to polish without doing damage to the clearcoat.

These are the before pictures.....

Some one also dragged something across the hood by the looks of the scratches.

I carefully buffed the entire car knowing I couldn't get all the scratches out without going thru the clearcoat. Then we applied 3 coats of Z5 with ZFX catalyst hoping to cover the remaining swirls and scratches.

The results.....

Not perfect but a lot better than before. My friend Eric was amazed by the Zainos and will probably be ordering some soon. He also has a 95' Runner which is a light blue metalic/clearcoat.

Jim you are next!!!!!

Last edited by ALBPM; 09-01-2003 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:15 PM

WOW! What a difference! What product would you guys recommend me for desert dune paint? I would like to do this before the winters comes and I would like to know what would I need (the whole package) to do the process?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

I recommend Zainos for your Desert Dune because it will bond with the clearcoat and give maximum protection for the winters up there.

Basics to order from Zaino-
Zaino Brothers

Z-1 8oz Zaino Show Car "Polish Lok" Pre-Cleaner & Gloss Conditioner..$8.95

Z-2 8oz Zaino Bros' Show Car Polish for clear-coated paint..$12.95

Z-5 8oz Zaino Bros' Z-5 Polish for swirl marks & fine scratches..$16.95

Z-6 16oz Zaino Bros' Ultra Clean "Gloss Enhancer" Spray..$9.95

And to apply multiple coats in one day this works great...
ZFX 2ml Zaino Flash Cure Accelerator Additive for Z-2, Z-5, Z-3 NEW..$19.95

I also recommend getting some microfiber towels
to use for detailing.
I get mine from Pakshak

You can save a bit by getting one of his special packages like this for starters...
3-16"x16"/1-25"x36"/1-6.5"x9.5" mitt*..$38.90/pkg
Old 09-01-2003, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Dude, I am ready! That looks beautiful!
Old 09-01-2003, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

I left a message on your cell Saturday. I still have the Dynomax muffler too.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

I'll try to get up there sometime this week, it's all about timing.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

I hear that!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 01:50 AM

I want to try this stuff so suggestions for a new truck? I don't need the scratch remover or anything like that...

Does this sound right?

Wash with dishsoap then...

Z-2 8oz Zaino Bros' Show Car Polish for clear-coated paint..$12.95

Z-6 16oz Zaino Bros' Ultra Clean "Gloss Enhancer" Spray..$9.95

Also, is the polish a protector like wax? I always thought polish took off surface imperfctions and then you needed to put wax on top as the final protection?...

To tell you the truth, I've been ok with washing and 3M wax. It isn't "showcar" shine though. I figure since it's the same work, I should give the Zaino a shot... but what's the minimum I need to do?

What do you guys think of Wesley's interior cleaner? I've used it and like the smell. It doesn't leave any shine (like armor all).

Last edited by FirstToy; 09-02-2003 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:36 AM

I hope you guys don't mind a slight thread hijack. Anyone know the best product to remove pine sap? I have to park my truck under a pine tree and getting the pine sap off is a b*tch.

I've tried various bug and tar removers (including 3M) and they just don't work on pine sap.

Any ideas?
Old 09-02-2003, 04:36 AM

I have a 2003 Lunar Mist(silver) tacoma double cab which has a clear coat on it....i think. But I've heard that Toyota only puts clear coats on certain colors. My brother has a 2002 Black Tacoma and I'm not sure if he has Clear coat or not. anyone know for sure?? Thanks.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:53 AM

I think BT mentioned black, red and white do not have a clearcoat. All others do. Silver definitely has a clearcoat.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

I want to try this stuff so suggestions for a new truck? I don't need the scratch remover or anything like that...
FirstToy,

Wash with Dawn dishwashing soap. It is very alkaline and will strip off and wax that may be on your 03'.

You will need the Z1 "Polish Lok" Pre-Cleaner & Gloss Conditioner. You will need to apply this first and this stays on don't wipe it off. It also has a catalyst to help the Z2 or Z5 cure or "Cross Link"

If the scratches and swirls are only minor I recommend the Z5 rather than buffing with a rubbing compound. The Z5 will fill minor swirls. If your 03' is in good shape than you can start with Z2.

Now the Zainos polish is not abrasive or a cleaner it is simply a Polymer polish that bonds to the clearcoat or paint. Unlike carnuba based wax it will not wash off and should easily last a minimum of six months.

So, the sequence would be:

1.) Wash with Dawn and dry

2.) Wipe off with Z6 gloss Enhancer spray

2.) Apply Z1 and leave the Z1 on don't wipe it off.

3.) Apply the Z5 or Z2 to the entire vehicle and let it dry. You apply the polish very thinly. Keep the applicator damp with the Z6 and water to help spread the polish. It could take an hour or so for the polish to dry. The first coat doesn't spread nicely and you will tend to over apply.

4.) Gently wipe off the dried haze with a microfiber or clean white made in USA cotton towel.
5.) Wipe down with Z6 Gloss Enhancer spray.

If you don't add the ZFX Catalyst to the polish you are done for the day. It takes 24 hrs for the Z2 or Z5 to cure before you can add a second coat. If you use the ZFX then you can add 3 coats of Z2 or Z5 in one day.

From now on don't wash with dish washing soap unless you want to remove the polish. Use mild automotive or the Zainos car wash soap.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:53 AM

OK, thanks for the info. Man, I think that's too much work for me!

I"ll buy the stuff when I run out of the 3M but I'll definitely get the car wash soap for the next wash.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

You the Man, Paul!
Old 09-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

LOL...!!!

Jayson, how is the "Red-Runner" doing???

Is the Zainos on the hood still holding up??
Old 09-02-2003, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ALBPM,

That looks just like (before and after) how my wife's 95 Camry looked b/f I did the Zaino treatment on it. I didn't have the ZFX at the time so I didn't put as many coats on as you did. Now I have an incentive to use the ZFX. Was it hard to mix?

I can't wait until my Meguiar's crap runs out so I can do the Zaino on my desert dune paint.

Bob
Old 09-02-2003, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Well, the hood still looks good, and the paint is nice and and smooth. I'd guess there is still a little bit of the Zainos still on there, but I've had to wash it pretty thoroughly a few times...to remove some Colorado and Sante Fe mud.

I actually was able to get a smokin' deal on a "Corey Cable" a while back from the local hardware store, and have been slowly getting all the proper pads and stuff. I need to order some Zainos and give both of our truck "the treatment" before winter. I still have some oxidation on the roof, and those darn mirrors are looking milky again...I don't know why they are more prone to oxidation...maybe I should get them chromed...LOL!

Not to high-jack the thread, but I forgot to ask a while back how the both of you exhaust systems are holding up?
Old 09-02-2003, 10:55 AM

The ZFX comes with four 2 ounce vials and about a quarter ounce of ZFX. Remember, this stuff goes on REAL thin, you layer it on! I can do my Highlander or my Tacoma WITH a fiberglass lid with ONE ounce. Once you get the applicator saturated, I was using a pea size drop for each body pannel. Anyway, put about an ounce of Z5 (or Z2) in one of the vials, place 3 or 4 drops of ZFX, shake it up, let it sit for 5 minutes, shake it again and go. By the time you go around the car, it will be ready to take off. With the ZFX you do not need the Z1 and you are limited to 3 layers in 24 hours. I did 3 and then the following weekend wash and dry, towel off with Z6 and then another coat of Z2 without ZFX. It will dry pretty quick when its warm outside, it was taking about 30 minutes at 85 degrees.

What the pictures fail to show is the depth of the shine. It almost looks like it has another layer of clear coat. Also, you do not want to use the Porter Cable polisher to apply the Zaino, you will waste more than you use. Another tip, for whatever reason, the 100% cotton towels, folded over 3 or 4 times take the Zaino off the best. Even the microfiber towels struggled with it.

I've tried about everything over the years. Zaino isn't cheap, but it looks great and holds up even better! A perfect example is the black on the front of the mirrors, always a PITA to keep up, the Zaino works great on them!
Old 09-02-2003, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
ALBPM,

That looks just like (before and after) how my wife's 95 Camry looked b/f I did the Zaino treatment on it. I didn't have the ZFX at the time so I didn't put as many coats on as you did. Now I have an incentive to use the ZFX. Was it hard to mix?

I can't wait until my Meguiar's crap runs out so I can do the Zaino on my desert dune paint.

Bob
I did the same on a 97 Camry, but did the clay by hand -- still easy and made an incredible difference.

As far as the Meguiar's polish and wax is concerned, I just bit the bullet and will use it only for stuff I don't worry too much about -- the trailer, someone else's car, etc. I still like Meguiar's Endurance for the tires and their (old product) Clean, Shine and Protect for the plastic and vinyl in the interior.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

tomstin just about covered it in respect to the ZFX additive. 4 drops in a 2 ounce bottle and shake it up.

2 ounces was more than enough for 3 coats on the Avalon. When I mixed it I told my friend this will be enough for 3 coats and he just laughed and said no way.....LOL

I dumped about half an ounce down the drain when I cleaned out the bottle 3 coats later....

Quick Reply: Another Zaino Convert