Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another Gen 3 Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Another Gen 3 Mod

As I have mentioned before the gen 3 4runner is divided into what I refer to as Flight 1 (96-98) and Flight 2 (99-02). I am going to begin shortly another mod to my flight 1 that was incorporated into the flight 2. The rear cargo area on the passenger side has a much expanded storage area. During my last foray to the "parts bin" I noted that the rear storage areas are physically different but that could be modified with some creative cutting of the interior sheet metal. I am still looking for a rear panel and storage door from a flt 2 that isn't trashed. Once obtained, I will commence the mod and will post pics, progress and directions for those interested.

Picked up an overhead DVD player for my truck at the Circuit City in my area going out of business sale. Just need to try to figure out how to mount it in the overhead as I do have a sunroof so I can not install it directly as the instructions show as it is designed for simple installation in a vehicle without a sunroof as the mounting plate is bolted/screwed into the roof support near the overhead interior light. Open to suggestions. I'm pretty sure I will have to install some sort of metal plate that will traverse the entire width of the roof but not interfer with the opening of the sunroof. I will be posting install of that mod as well. It will be fun to have it in as then the boys won't be fighting over who gets to ride shotgun, they will be fighting over who gets to ride in back! More later

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 03-05-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question... do you really need the "larger" storage area? in my experience i can only fit 1 big can of fix a flat, jumper cables and a flash light in my "larger" one, and i can fit the same amount in the smaller one on my project vehicle
Old 03-05-2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by RunnerUp
question... do you really need the "larger" storage area? in my experience i can only fit 1 big can of fix a flat, jumper cables and a flash light in my "larger" one, and i can fit the same amount in the smaller one on my project vehicle
I have to agree. The storage area is pretty much the same size minus a little extra section which really doesnt increase the capacity to a point where in my opinion would be worthwhile to waste time and money on. Its your runner, so go nuts, but I would put my resources into building an actual storage drawer system instead.
Also, the 3rd gen 4runner is actually divided better into 3 versions based on more significant changes such as 4wd system and other drivertrain options and etc, unless yours is based on the dash setup.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:55 PM

i actually use a truck tote (basically a black rubbermaid box thats pretty good size) and throw tools and camping gear and everything needed for a bug out situation and its 100% removable, you can get them at walmart for like 40 bucks, and they dont look horrible, lemme see if i can dig up a pic

basically this, but all black

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-119...6293706&sr=1-1
Old 03-05-2009, 02:00 PM

HA! found the one ive got http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10400134
Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RunnerUp
That's the same one I have (had it in my '99 Runner).
Contico makes good stuff, that bin is extremely "tuff."

Your project sounds like a lot of work for a very minimal gain (in our eyes) but I always love to see people come up with new, original mods so I say rock on.

Fink
Old 03-05-2009, 02:13 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...spagenameZWDVW

you need somthing like that?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Hey I sat go for it Ritzy... the more secure stealthy hide-y holes you can have the better...
on the dvd front I would go ahead and plan for a semi custom mount... I would consider a re-enforced semi A-frame braced to the side...

here's a rough idea pls. allow for poor quality of post

__________***_____________
.......... \ ......... /
........... \------/
........... /------\
_______/ ......... \__________

*** is dome light
\ / is a-frame
--- is mounting location
___ is existing and new cross members
ignore .....

you ought to be able to hide this above the headliner and below the sunroof mech.
with oml;y a small mod. to headliner if at all

Last edited by aviator; 03-05-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
got any pictures of your 4runner? I'd love to see them haha
Old 03-11-2009, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestions as well as recommendations. As for the stowage issue, yes it would be easy to have a "removable" stowage bin but like Aviator said, I want to be a bit more stealthy, if you can hide it, makes for a more secure vehicle, less likely to have some scumbag look in and see this really nice looking big plastic bin that would temp him/her to break a window for a quick grab and go, but another topic, just wanting to add to my truck.

As for the definition of the Flight 1 vs 2, the primary differences are 96- 98 is the main and radio bezel consoles but also significant under the hod changes ocurred that year split as well with the air intake system, MAF, airbox. Toyota made numerous upgrades to other years as well as far as options, improvements to the rear end but the biggest changes are those I mentioned and the major changes occurred between 98 & 99.

Aviator, GR8 suggestions and understand your "diagram" but actually once I got the headliner out it made is very simple to determine what I needed to do. I went to the wrecking yard and found a 2000 runner with roof damage and just stripped the interior/headliner and removed the same roof support pillar that is used to support the rear of the sun roof and is the piece the dome light mounts to as well. All it required was drilling out 4 pop-rivets, removing 4 sheet metal screws, removing the two 10mm bolts and unclipping a single bolt clip on one side. With the support removed it was a perfect fit directly behind the existing roof support. Marked the location of the 4 sheet metal screws and used a 1/8th " drill bit, secured it in place with the removed sheet metal screws, drilled out the holes for the pop-rivets, used 1/8 x1/8 pop-rivets and secured it in place on the sunroof rails and it looks factory installed! I will show some pics once I get it all sorted out. Thanks to everyone! Still have a few things to engineer so more to come
Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Thanks for the suggestions as well as recommendations. As for the stowage issue, yes it would be easy to have a "removable" stowage bin but like Aviator said, I want to be a bit more stealthy, if you can hide it, makes for a more secure vehicle, less likely to have some scumbag look in and see this really nice looking big plastic bin that would temp him/her to break a window for a quick grab and go, but another topic, just wanting to add to my truck.

As for the definition of the Flight 1 vs 2, the primary differences are 96- 98 is the main and radio bezel consoles but also significant under the hod changes ocurred that year split as well with the air intake system, MAF, airbox. Toyota made numerous upgrades to other years as well as far as options, improvements to the rear end but the biggest changes are those I mentioned and the major changes occurred between 98 & 99.
Maybe you could try to actually expand the area behind the access door to add to storage volume. That would be pretty stealthy indeed and would actually net you more space. Usually I just have the cargo cover pulled so no one can see whats in the cargo area.

For the Flights, well thats up for debate based on what you feel is relevant and major changes. Between 99/00 and 01/02 the 4wd system changed significantly along with the introduction of atrac/vsc. and a drive by wire throttle body. A new limited trim wheel and different grille was added which is consistent with the 4runner change from 96/98-99/00. Also the 4cyl engine and the manual transmission was dropped from the lineup. So once again, depends on a defn of major changes.

Last edited by Godzilla; 03-11-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: terrible spelling sometimes
Old 03-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds good ritzy... glad you were able to make sense of the "sketch" lol it goes together ok when typing it out but when you post it you loose all the indents and so forth lol...
Old 01-08-2017, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
I have to agree. The storage area is pretty much the same size minus a little extra section which really doesnt increase the capacity to a point where in my opinion would be worthwhile to waste time and money on. Its your runner, so go nuts, but I would put my resources into building an actual storage drawer system instead.
Also, the 3rd gen 4runner is actually divided better into 3 versions based on more significant changes such as 4wd system and other drivertrain options and etc, unless yours is based on the dash setup.
Thanks for the input but I am basing my division of 3rd gens on the outer physical changes to our trucks. Yes over the years there were significant changes that with some work and creative engineering you can put those "upgrades" into our older "1st Flight" 96-98 4runners. The biggest changes I saw between 98-99 was the change of the bumper system to what I call the "fat lip" bumper. 99 also changes in the grill, head lights, center console. These were, IMHO, significant enough changes to warrant a division of the 3rd Gen 4runners. Other engineering changes were mostly internal after that, different a/c-heating controls, different driver gauges, using LCD and changing the window switches to have auto features for both driver and passenger. I'm sure there are a lot more, but yeah like you said, it is my truck. On the issue of is it worth the effort, cost etc, well depends on what you consider cost effective or just nice to have. If it had not been an issue, Toyota would not have increased the size. But it was just "can I do this?" It wasn't that expensive as most wrecking yards charged very little for the cargo box and cover. It was fun!
Old 01-09-2017, 06:44 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Well?

seems like you lost interest in posting due to pseudo nay sayers "oh just use a container" I waited patiently to see the pictures, and nothing but Walmart links.

What did you have to alter for the larger cubby, or did it turn out to just drop into place?

Which brackets did you use to mount the video system, where exactly does it attach, did you have to use the rivets for clearance?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:34 PM

What happened is that life happened. As for the right side cargo bin, I did start a write up and pictures but some how it seems to have disappeared. When you remove the right side rear panel you will see that the fender area has a higher pinched weld where the body and fender are joined above the wheel well to make the rear area. I had even taken pictures of the same fender area on the wrecked 2000 I got the panel out of so I could tell what I was going to need to do to make it fit. You end up trimming that inner ridge that runs along the top of the wheel well, not difficult but it takes some pre-fitting a few times and you custom trim that weld. There is plenty of room left so you don't go through the weld. Once you get it trimmed it will just slip right in.

As for the DVD player that really took some doing. There wasn't quite enough width for my DVD player to securely mount to the OEM overhead rail, so I took a second one out of a yard scrapped 4runner. You need to bring a cordless drill and small Phillips head screwdriver. Remove two rivets and the two attaching screws save the screws then I mounted it just to the rear of the OEM installed roof panel, drilled two sized holes for replacement rivets, two small holes for the OEM screws and it looked factory. Later I ended up mounting a 3rd roof panel as I installed dual over head lamps as my player did not like using the Toyota provided lighting source. Something to do with how Toyota wired the lights originally. If I have the time, I'm pretty sure I could find the pics in my archives, but I have just been too busy with my life right now and the past 5-8 years to really devote as much time to my truck hobby as I used to. I still have my truck and love to tinker. I have a couple of mods still to do and hopefully within the next year or two, I'll find the time and parts to move forward with them. Hope that answers the questions