Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another comparison...

Old 09-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another comparison...

How do the new Tacomas (05+) compare with the older ones (95.5 - 04). I am talking both OVERALL and OFF-ROAD specific. I have heard mainly positive things from everyone, BUT they could have been biased because the only people I asked are people that had a new one (though granted, they all had an old one before). Then again, on this board, the discussion could be biased the other way (that's why I am asking).

Obviously the new ones have more HP and more torque, and are bigger and roomier. However, some concerns I haven't personally heard addressed (remember, I am in Mx they just came out last year and still don't have the 4x4 model here) are:

Length & Width (considering mountain trails with boulders on both sides, AND sometimes having to turn around (yes, even in a Toyota)).
Ground Clearance
Gas Mileage
Water Fording
Rock Climbing
Sand Dune Climbing (think Competition Hill in Glamis, if anyone knows that)

Looking forward to your comments... my experiences are based on a 1996 and a 1999, so I guess it would be fun to cross post this on the 05+ board to since you guys are probably in my boat.

Cheers,

Mr. Sonora
Old 09-08-2008, 07:31 PM

2007 tacoma TRD off-road opinion

I own a 2007 TRD off-road access cab auto v-6 with RR e-locker. The engine and tranny are amazing. The power is smooth and no issues with the truck so far. I have done some mild 4-wheeling and I really like the truck. It does seem a little long overall for some trails but I've been very happy. Ground clearance is a little lower than on the previous years but still not bad. I had looked at the Nissan X-terra and the FJ before settling on the Tacoma. I'm happy with the choice so far. My only regret is the access cab as now we have a kid on the way and the 4-door would have been better. For comparison I also have a 2001 4-Runner limited auto 3.4 V-6. I recently did a moderate trail on accident with it completely stock. The truck did better than I did. The 4-runner has way more ground clearance than the tacoma, or at least 2 inches anyway. The 4-runner with its shorter wheelbase did really well, it has less power than the Tacoma but still plenty. I live in Colorado so at altitude these both do well. Okay so enough rambling, I hope this helps you a touch. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:11 AM

Hmm only one reply?

Hey thanks for the reply. One comment... I think the 4runner and Tacomas are about equal on clearance, the deal being the 1995 - 04 TAcomas (and 06 - 02 4runners) seem to have more clearance than the new stuff. It would be cool if someone can confirm this. I know the new 4runners are really low. A buddy of mine ran one in Durango, Mx last year and it was scraping all over the place. On the road out he was driving slower than my buddy in an old camry. lol.

Cheers,

Mr. Sonora
Old 09-09-2008, 08:12 AM

Sonora, ground clearance should be the least of your worries. A simple OME lift takes care of that. You should be more concerned about the size of the vehicle. The new gen 4Runners and Tacoma's are wider and longer. If you're looking for a straight up off-roader, 3rd Gen 4Runner or 1st Gen Tacoma is your obvious choice, simply because of the size and cost factor. Plus you don't want to be beating the snot out of your new(er) rig. At least, I wouldn't feel good about it. But a $7k 4Runner/Tacoma? Who cares?

However, if you're looking for moderate off-roader/daily driver, it's not a simple answer. I have friends with 4th Gen 4Runners and 2nd Gen Tacoma's and I really like them. The 4.0L V6 is fantastic in power and fuel efficiency. The OEM oil filter relocation is great. Comfort level is above the previous generations. 2nd Gen Tacoma's still have the optional rear e-locker. I don't think you will go wrong with the 4Runner or Tacoma. They are bigger than the previous gen's, but the 4Runner is the same size or tiny bit smaller (?) than an FZJ80 Land Cruiser, and I know they do well on those trails. Plus, there is plenty of aftermarket support for both of these trucks, so off-road capability should be up to par with any other rigs you can build up, with the size being the only limiting factor.

Speaking of size, the Tacoma double-cab's are really long. Not a great rock crawler, but still can hold it's own. I don't do any hardcore rock crawling, so the Tacoma does great for what I use, which is mostly for expedition travels, camping, biking, hunting, etc.

I guess it comes down to what this vehicle will be going through and how much you have to spend.

Last edited by cackalak han; 09-09-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like you need an old fashioned Landcruiser !!
Whats up.......great seeing you here!
This forum is the single greatest money saving spot I know!
Enjoy!

p.s............the 3rd gen runners like mine have a factory defect in the rear springs .
That's why many runners look like they are collecting DOR's in the rear bumper.
I've added a 1 inch front lift and a 3-4 inch rear lift with Airlift Airbags and spring spacers.
Low cost and I've yet to break it . That along with upgraded swaybar bushings and the runner
kills on all average off road trails while getting 21 on the highway at 65 miles per hour. 75-80 - 16-17MPH
Best part is that I can load the truck and adjust air pressure for heavy loads.
15-20lbs...........no high pressure needed.
99 runner/ 3.4 V6

In the end.........there's a magic zone where you can alter your Toyota to get the most out of it without
compromising the factory fuel efficiency or original equipment. If your a wrencher.........then it's even easier.

Kenny S>

Last edited by sharrack; 09-09-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:51 PM

hmm...

Hey Kenny, fancy seeing you here, LOL. Figures there would be herper on a Toyota 4x4 forum.

Anways, so pretty much everyone seems to agree that the 3rd Gen 4runner/ 1st Gen Tacomas are better OFF-ROAD than the newer ones? Am I understanding you guys right? I've had two 1st Gen Tacomas and am really impressed by them. I am just trying to figure out if I should upgrade to 2nd Gen or not.

FWIW, I will use the ride for my daily stuff, BUT I also do some serious off-roading in some very treacherous terrain. Basically climbing up to about 10,000 feet on some thin, rocky/muddy steep trails. No recreational rock-climbing but you get the point.

Cheers,

Mr. Sonora
Old 09-10-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hopefully, you got paid on a book value of a year ago because your hitting the market at a great time.
Trucks are worth close to nothing these days but gas is almost down to 100 bucks a barrel so the market may start creeping up.

I'd say go for the runner simply for the closed cab with more weight over the rear wheels, locking rear diff, flexible interior options with fold down seats or just remove the fold foward pads for more room and storage during trips.
You'll pay more but the versatility is perfect for all the different weather in Mexico.
3rd gens are like clay........you can mold and shape them any way you like.

I rented a 3rd gen Diesel stick in CR one year and I swear.............that freaking monster could drive up the side of a building!
I'm a wrencher from my mechanic days and with the help of this forum. have yet to drive into a repair shop except for gas.

Kenny S
Old 09-11-2008, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Sonora
FWIW, I will use the ride for my daily stuff, BUT I also do some serious off-roading in some very treacherous terrain. Basically climbing up to about 10,000 feet on some thin, rocky/muddy steep trails. No recreational rock-climbing but you get the point.
It seems that you will get more bang for your buck with a 3rd Gen/1st Gen. You will obviously acquire battle wounds, which will be a lot less expensive to fix on a 3rd/1st Gen. The smaller size will help, too. The 4th/2nd Gen's are plenty capable, but unless you've got a deep pocket, I'd go for a 3rd/1st.

Originally Posted by sharrack
I'd say go for the runner simply for the closed cab with more weight over the rear wheels, locking rear diff, flexible interior options with fold down seats or just remove the fold foward pads for more room and storage during trips.
You can also put a shell on a Tacoma for an enclosed space, which will put just as much weight over the rear wheels. Taco's also have a rear locking diff (96 - current models, unlike 4Runners, which were available 96-00). I do like the coils in the 4Runner better than leafs, but if you are going to carry any load, then the leafs will handle it better. I got the Tacoma, because I needed a bed to carry a lot of dirty/muddy/messy junk. If you don't need it for this reason, 4Runner is a winner.

Either way, you can't go wrong.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I had an '05 Tacoma TRD OR SB DC for 3 years, I loved the truck but it was too big for some of the wheeling I did..after doing some damage to it, it was cheaper for me to get a smaller '81 to use for my Trail truck that fit on trails better.
I do miss my '05 it was a great all around truck with the 4.0. It would tow my '81 and not even notice it.

Compared to my old '97 Tacoma Xtra Cab the '05 was a more 'family friendly' truck. For a DD that will serve Weekend Warrior trail duty, I would get an earlier Taco. You can pick up a decent early Tacoma for less than $10K, put $2-3K into it and have a great trail truck.