Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another air horn thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another air horn thread.

I want to get an air horn for the runner, but I am convinced that I will not be satisfied with the sound that just the trumpet+12v compressor kit like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NEW...QQcmdZViewItem will give me. I was all set to buy a kit with a tank and all for about $285 off ebay, but then I had to wonder about some things.
I am wondering if I could save myself some money and buy one of the kits above, and combine it with my own tank, to make a complete kit. I don't know anything about compressors, or horns, but I have to ask if the above, combined with something like this https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=train+horns
plus a regulator, would make a complete kit.

I have read all the threads about this since 04, but they are all so old that none of the links work anymore.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.hornblasters.com/products...ry.php?class=8
Old 04-13-2007, 02:35 AM
Contributing Member

I know all about whats out there as kits. But that kit is a LOT of money. I could get a lift from toytec for that much. I want to know if anyone rigged a tank to a kit that didn't come with a tank, and saved a couple hundred bucks.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:53 AM

just curious, why do u need an air horn?
Old 04-13-2007, 03:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i got 2 in my 79 pickup..a 2 horn normal air horn, and the 5 horn Dixie horns..both work great, except the dixie horns need warm weather to work fast and clear
Old 04-13-2007, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by pepsibluefloat
just curious, why do u need an air horn?
Personally, I bought one because I'm sick of people cutting me off, I lay on the horn, and they don't even notice me. I want them to know that yes, I DO actually care that you almost clipped my front end, and get the hell out of my way.

Now if only I'd get off my lazy ass and go install it. I went El-cheapo, picked up a kit from Harber Freight for like 20 bucks. I just wanted to try it out, if I like the air horn idea, I'll upgrade later.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:54 AM

I switched my stock crap horn with a hybrid horn (electric horn with a trumpet on the end of it), and that was plenty loud for when people cut me off. I got one high tone, and one low tone, and it made a nice chorus when people cut me off.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Pest
Personally, I bought one because I'm sick of people cutting me off, I lay on the horn, and they don't even notice me. I want them to know that yes, I DO actually care that you almost clipped my front end, and get the hell out of my way.

Now if only I'd get off my lazy ass and go install it. I went El-cheapo, picked up a kit from Harber Freight for like 20 bucks. I just wanted to try it out, if I like the air horn idea, I'll upgrade later.
Lemme know how that works out... I almost got the same exact set this past weekend. let me know how they sound!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by TRDatVT
Lemme know how that works out... I almost got the same exact set this past weekend. let me know how they sound!
I haven't installed it yet, but when I first got them I turned on the air compressor at my parents house to hear them. I didn't plug them all in at once, but one at a time. Each of them alone was loud enough to make me deaf for a few moments. I get the idea that they will all sound pretty high pitched. Not anywhere near the low tone I was hoping for. But then, it makes sense that you need a long 18" horn or so for that...Still, for 20 bucks, it will neat.

While we're on this topic. The instructions say that the compressor MUST be mounted vertically upright, it can't be sideways. I don't know the reasoning behind that. But Looking under the hood, I can't find a place to mount it upright and as far away from the heat as possible. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it under the hood.

Last edited by Pest; 04-13-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:23 PM

that $20 harbor freight one has been working for me for about a year now. it makes honking a lot more fun when EVERYONE knows you mean business
Old 04-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

I don't really get cut off a lot, my biggest problem is the interstate. Down here in FL our fast lane is full of people just chillin at 60 mph. I will flash my lights, tailgate, and everything else to get them to move it over. I would rather just honk from a safe distance to get thier attention.

Pepsibluefloat: Take a second to read over the first sentance on this page. It starts out, " I want to get an air horn..." Nowhere does it say that I NEED an air horn. Why do you NEED a sandrail? I really appreciate you serving our country, but keep the chastising tone about my horn preference to yourself.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

I have a few friends on fort myers with some of the $500+ train setups, I think I will check their stuff out, and see if I can't do something similar for waay less money.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:37 PM

I had a Harbor Freight one in my 1st Gen 4runner too. They are plenty loud (~118db) and I didn't have any trouble mounting the little compressor on it's side. Not sure why a similar looking compressor would have a problem.

The issue with the "high pitch" sound is all about horn length. The longer the horn, the lower the frequency.

If you check out this hell air horn kit, you'll notice it lists each trumpets frequency. I'd go with the kit with the lowest I can find/afford. http://www.rallylights.com/hella/tri...e_air_horn.asp

The only reason you'd need a larger compressor is if you run more horns. Those little ones seem to handle two horns just fine. Three horns and you might need to upgrade.

Just a side note: I wired my last system to keep the stock horn too. I had a switch that changed between the air horns (which I had selected 99% of the time in case I got cut off like everyone has mentioned) and the stock horn (which I would use if a little old lady sat through a green light or something)

This set up worked great for all situations.

Erich
Old 04-13-2007, 01:40 PM

the one i saw left the stock horn unmodified, and just had another button switch for the air horn.