Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AMSOIL vs. K&N

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMSOIL vs. K&N

So I have been using a K&N for a year now, and it has been great. Then I did my deckplate mod and it was even better! I could hear the difference, and feel it. I read alot about Amsoil filters on this site and how they filter better and even provide more horsepower. Click here for Gadget's comparison. Since they're relatively inexpensive ($25 vs. $50 K&N), I picked up an Amsoil.

Right after dropping it in I though that it was quieter. In my test driving afterwards I thought i wasn't getting the same umph! that I was before. In the meantime I cleaned my K&N and was ready to sell it or keep as a high-end back up. So I put the K&N back in and the noise level was up, as well as some power (I thought). I think the K&N was outperforming the Amsoil on my 2.7L. I would guess that the Amsoil does not allow as much air flow as the K&N, simply based on the thickness of filtration media that the air has to pass through. The greater thickness, the great resistance, the less air flow. But I'm just guessing.

Any comments on this? Anyone with similar experience? For now, I'm going back to my K&N.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 07-07-2003 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

It takes at least 5HP to feel a difference in power. Dont take this the wrong way, but it may be psychological power that you are experiencing. There is no way that a K&N or an Amsoil is gaining 5HP over stock.

For me, its the dirt difference. With the K&N the intake gets dirt in it. With the Amsoil it doesnt. Simple as that.

I have had both filters, and I will never use a K&N again for an off-road situation. But that's just me.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

I made a comment on here once about it being psychological horsepower, and people jumped all over me. That's when I was forwarded the link to Gadget's dyno testing. Granted it was on the bigger engine, but hard data is hard data and it shows these filters producing more hp than stock, with Amsoil giving more than K&N. I realize that this guy sells Amsoils, too, so he's selling product.

When I took my airbox apart to do the deckplate mod, the engine-side of it was completely clean after having used a K&N for about a year. The filter was definitely dirty. I think the K&N was doing well as far as filtration.

I definitely think the K&N results in more engine noise. To be honest, I expected identical performance out of both of the filters, since they are both supposed to be "high-flow". So maybe the louder noise is what is giving me the psychological performance increase with K&N. I now think that they are giving me the same performance. Oh well, I think I'll go drive some more...

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
It takes at least 5HP to feel a difference in power. Dont take this the wrong way, but it may be psychological power that you are experiencing. There is no way that a K&N or an Amsoil is gaining 5HP over stock.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 07-08-2003 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:56 AM

I was at K&N yesterday dropping off my 4th gen. They are using it to take specs. for their new FIPK kit. What a nice facility. They have a 4 wheel dyno, 2 wheel dyno and a motorcycle/ATV dyno. These guys are totally comitted to providing customer service and satisfaction. I also addressed the off-road dust/dirt issue I had and they will be providing me with a Pre-Filter that will slip over the filter. I guess what it comes down to is personal preference.

2 cents

Serge
Old 07-08-2003, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Slib77
I also addressed the off-road dust/dirt issue I had and they will be providing me with a Pre-Filter that will slip over the filter. I guess what it comes down to is personal preference.

2 cents

Serge
No, what it comes down to is an extra $40 to go with a K&N filter and pre-filter over the cost of an Amsoil. Why spend more than you have to?

I just dont get it.

(This isnt really directed at you, because I know you are probably getting the stuff for free)
Old 07-08-2003, 08:18 AM

No harm No foul.
I've always been happy with K&N. I'm not taking anything away from Amsoil. I think they are both exceptional products.

The most important dyno is the butt dyno. That's the one that keeps these guys going.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

My preference for now is that I'm sticking with my K&N with the Amsoil for backup. I still think that the thickness of the amsoil would resist air flow more than the K&N, but I have no methods to prove it and I haven't seen data telling otherwise. I do agree that the Amsoil appears to be able to filter the air better than the K&N, and it is less expensive. And the K&N solution of putting a filter on top of a filter doesn't seem to be an efficient method.

They say to put your deckplate cap on when you're off-roading anyway, right? Have fun.

According to K&N...

Typical Foam Air Filter
Lack of surface area hinders air flow and dirt holding capacity. Open cell foam usually saturated with oil.
Dirt builds on outside and blocks the openings.
Higher vacuum pressures distort the cells drawing dirt deeper into the filter.
Airflow is reduced as cells become blocked.
Turbulent filtered air.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

I was at K&N yesterday dropping off my 4th gen. They are using it to take specs. for their new FIPK kit. What a nice facility. They have a 4 wheel dyno, 2 wheel dyno and a motorcycle/ATV dyno. These guys are totally comitted to providing customer service and satisfaction. I also addressed the off-road dust/dirt issue I had and they will be providing me with a Pre-Filter that will slip over the filter. I guess what it comes down to is personal preference. Serge
sounds like somebody is getting a free K&N kit.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:38 AM

If you look at any off-road buggy or truck running an off-road race, The Baja 1000 for example. They run a pre-filter no matter what kind of filter they use. The pre-filter is really thin and does a good job filtering the smaller particles. Performance is barely hindered, not enough for us laymen to notice, at least.

I run a pre-filter on my Pr-Flo Raptor intake (foam type) when I run in the desert or dunes, tell you the truth the only time I notice a significant gain is when I take the airbox lid off.

Like I said it's all personal preference.

Yes sir Keisur, but it was one hell of a drive there.
K&N will be providing the dyno sheets as soon as it is all done.
I'll try and post them.

Late.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

I was at K&N yesterday dropping off my 4th gen. They are using it to take specs. for their new FIPK kit.
My question is: How on earth did you land this?
Old 07-08-2003, 09:54 AM

I was checking out another forum (4x4 wire talk) and Dino from K&N posted looking for 4th gens. I posted here on Yotatech last month that he was looking for more than one vehicle. I don't know who else he has contacted.

I should get my rig back on Thursday.
As soon as they have the kit in production I'll get one.

I know that Downey is also coming out with an intake kit, they are using a K&N filter on theirs.

Serge
Old 07-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

some independent studies...

http://www.mcagraphix.com/filter/test.htm

THis is very interesting. It is the only experiment on the internet that I've found that is not advertising-based. Just a guy who apparently has a lot of spare time.

Then, of course, there's this one.
http://www.wagoneers.com/FSJ/tech/kn...g-to-john.html

The consensus is different for this guy. I guess it really is just personal preference in the end, but I like the first link.

EDIT: The guy on the second link is an Amsoil dealer, so I guess it is another biased opinion from an Amsoil salesman.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 07-08-2003 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:57 AM

bump what happen to this gadget guys dyno tests, when Googleing
k&n vs amsoil reference to that thread are all over the place but i get 404'd all the time.

anybody got a link to the data?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:02 PM

forum lagging like mad double post....