Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Alternate spare tire locations. Reasons, Pros, Cons.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternate spare tire locations. Reasons, Pros, Cons.

Posted on T4R.org but cross referencing is a good thing.. So,

Hello all, I really dig looking at what some of you have done with your Runners. One thing I have noticed is that a fair amount of you have gone with something other than the standard undercarriage storage for your spare tire.

I would imagine that size would dictate this necessity for many. There must be a limit to what you can cram underneath the vehicle, and it's probably not too far away from stock. I noticed many have gone with an aftermarket tire swing out bumper combo. Others have opted for tossing it up into a roof rack.

It seems that both of these would have pros and cons. I mean, I understand that underneath might just not be an option for you if you are running larger wheel/tire combos, but this got me thinking.

What did you go with and why? Pics would be great!

To me it seems that while the swing away option might make the most sense, it would also seem that it blocks a ton of visibility. Has anyone been rear-ended with this set up? I remember years ago someone compared simple damage sustained during a low mph impact to a fixed object. The rear tire with the mount seemed to be a damage multiplier similar to some front brush guards. Anyone have experience here? How much did it cost to make this happen?

Then there is the roof rack option. Why did you pick this? Is this as much of a PITA as it looks? Are there any tips or tricks you use to make getting a large wheel up and down. Is there any room left in your basket once mounted? How did you mount it? I have seen a few simply ratcheted down. Is there another way. Is this working for you, or have you had to use it and wanted to kick yourself? Cost?

Thanks all!
Old 02-17-2015, 03:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Currently keeping mine in the rear cargo area but even sitting upright it takes up too much room.

I am physically unable to throw the 33s into the roof basket. Also want to keep the weight on the top down and I often use the basket for stuff.

The 33" BFGs do not fit underneath even aired down (though I didn't attempt to strap it oval, had issues with panhard,frame rails).

I do have a front hitch and could put a carrier up there, but air flow, and visibility would be compromised. One on back or front would pose the above issues and approach/departure angles.

Am planning on rear carrier, I can barely lift the tire to make this feasible. I have been rear ended before in a shorter truck with carrier but the car went under the truck. Something tall enough will damage the hatch either way, but it seems you'd be correct about more damage with a carrier. I generally use my side views to reverse though also yes on limiting the view back there. Still, for me, it's the better option.

I have been giving this some thought...

Last edited by habanero; 02-17-2015 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:49 PM

1st gen rollbar/tire mount

Haven't some people installed 1st gen rollbars in later 4runners? You could then do something 'simple' like this: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/...-mount-261044/
Old 02-19-2015, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by peabody
Haven't some people installed 1st gen rollbars in later 4runners? You could then do something 'simple' like this: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/...-mount-261044/
Although, not too common, that is pretty cool. Seems like it kills a lot of cargo space though. Do people just find old 1st gens to cannibalize to get the roll bar or what? I can't imagine that anyone makes that aftermarket.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by habanero
Currently keeping mine in the rear cargo area but even sitting upright it takes up too much room.

I am physically unable to throw the 33s into the roof basket. Also want to keep the weight on the top down and I often use the basket for stuff.

The 33" BFGs do not fit underneath even aired down (though I didn't attempt to strap it oval, had issues with panhard,frame rails).

I do have a front hitch and could put a carrier up there, but air flow, and visibility would be compromised. One on back or front would pose the above issues and approach/departure angles.

Am planning on rear carrier, I can barely lift the tire to make this feasible. I have been rear ended before in a shorter truck with carrier but the car went under the truck. Something tall enough will damage the hatch either way, but it seems you'd be correct about more damage with a carrier. I generally use my side views to reverse though also yes on limiting the view back there. Still, for me, it's the better option.

I have been giving this some thought...
Yeah, a full sized 33" is a beast to move around. I can't imagine 35"ers. I would also be worried about angles with any hitch system. It just adds too much overall length to the vehicle.

I think, all things considered, if you are going to have a full size spare, (more than a standard size for underneath), then the rear swing away is really the most practical. Beyond that, some painful compromise that trades cargo space for a spare tire. Ouch. I use my mirrors, but don't trust them. I can't change a lane or back up with out turning my head and moving around to clear blind spots. I think you would just have to be extra careful with that tire vision block.

Last edited by Road Bull; 02-19-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:00 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
granted mine is not a 3rd gen 4runner (it is generic and can be used in any 2" Class 3 hitch) but I went with the hitch mounted option from CBI:

Originally Posted by dropzone
Got a CBI Tire Carrier for christmas(again, had one 6 or 7 years ago) I think I may cut and angle it towards the hatch somewhat since it kind of sticks out a ways. This will be nice since I will be able to use it on a future truck too.

it has a mount for a high lift
one thing i like about this variation of the CBI mount is the reciever mount for a recovery point
it was about $370 including shipping. I can remove it from the truck easily, it has a recovery point and it gives me the option of moving to another truck down the road.

Last edited by dropzone; 02-19-2015 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Bull
Beyond that, some painful compromise that trades cargo space for a spare tire. Ouch. I use my mirrors, but don't trust them. I can't change a lane or back up with out turning my head and moving around to clear blind spots. I think you would just have to be extra careful with that tire vision block.
Good points!

Yeah, We use every bit of interior when traveling for a couple of weeks or backpacking, plus the roof rack.

When switching lanes ditto, but mainly use the side and rear side cargo windows for that. When parking I back in because backing out bites. Having had two vehicles previous with rear carriers it would be nice to keep the rear view as much as possible. I guess these days a backup camera, while pricey for a budget like mine, is not the impossibility...