Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

alarms

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 01:18 PM
eli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alarms

my '04 4 runner was broken into last weekend and my stereo, amp, mp3 player,and radar detector were all taken plus over $2,500 in damage to the window, interior, and exterior. :cry: so i have decided to get an alarm installed.
from what i have already read on the forum i have decided to go with either a viper or a clifford. my question is have any of you that have the 2 way alarm such as the viper 791 xv or the clifford matrix noticed any real benifit to getting them over any of the other alarms that are not two way.

i understand that is alerts you when the alarm is going off but does that really help you at all because if you are not close enough to hear the alarm in the first place there is no way you would be able to get to your car fast enough to stop someone from stealing whatever they wanted.

i just don't want to spend money on bells and whistles that are not going to make my car any safer when i could buy something just as secure for less.

thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Banned

Personally i think that buying the two way pager thing is a waste of money, its a cool gadget but not practical. If the person wants to take your stuff, they are gonna take it. I would get a proximity sensor and air horns to make your alarm really loud. I have them and have not had anything stoled yet. Hope this helps. oh and i have the viper alarm.

Matt
Old 08-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Get a back up siren. Another option is to get a siren installed in the interior - that will drive them nuts. But most of all, get a visible LED. Most of the time these idiots will move on to the next ride if they think an alarm is going to go off.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:18 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Localmotion
Personally i think that buying the two way pager thing is a waste of money, its a cool gadget but not practical. If the person wants to take your stuff, they are gonna take it. I would get a proximity sensor and air horns to make your alarm really loud. I have them and have not had anything stoled yet. Hope this helps. oh and i have the viper alarm.

Matt
Now this is where I have to disagree with you.
I have the Python made by DEI with the pager.

Where I live my bedroom is in the very back with the 4Runner out front.
I sleep with my door closed during worknights to keep the ˟˟˟˟˟ cat out of the room so he doesn't keep me awake.

If my alarm was to go off in the middle of the night, I'd never hear it, as I also have to sleep with earplugs during the work week.

With the pager next to my head on the headboard, I will hear it "page me" if the alarm does go off.
Without the pager I'd never ever know it was going off, and the neighbors would just think it's a false alarm and go back to sleep.

A pager with an alarm is a very usefull item, as most break-ins happen during the sleep cycle at night.
Sleep with the pager next to your bed for an extra piece of mind.

Place one of these on your seat for even more

Two springs ago I think it was, several cars here got broken into.
One to my left, and one to the right.
I was not touched as the LED is highly visible at night on my dash.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:48 PM

I agree with Corey. I have the Matrix 2.5 ( the 3.5 is the exact same thing, but has remote start capability) and i love it. i got my car stolen and thats now how i have my 4runner but then i got my runner broken inot and i got my alarm a few days later. The nice thing about two way is that it will alert you when one of the shock sensors goes off but you do have to be within 1/4 or 1/2 mile not sure. But at the apts i live in weve had tons of breakins and not one has touched my truck. I have the brightest led i could find and put it right next to my stereo, someplace they are sure to look. And if youre getting some options ask for a proximity sensor on your doors or by any triangle windows that are easily broken into. The only problem with the alarm is that the "brain" is in the engine compartment and is prone to getting wet or muddy in the right conditions so be careful.

MY OPINION- Well worth it to not have to deal with broken windows and stupid insurance people. Plus the deductible.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:52 PM

my thoughts

This is my 2 cents:

A. If someone specifically wants to steal anything from YOUR car, they're going to, no matter what. Police response times (generally) cannot match the quickness of a robber. Most people won't even call the cops when they hear an alarm go off, neither do I.
B. Robbers don't want to attract attention though, they're gutless a-holes. They want to have a quick and easy, simple and problemless theft. An alarm won't let them do it. Plus, they like having time to get your amp, unplug the wires, wrap them up and neatly make their way home.
C. A simple LED light (blinking light) or a sticker saying, "This car is protected." etc. usually will do the trick. The threat of any complications is often enough to lure them away.

So basically I think, the cheapest simplest alarms will usually do. This is ofcourse with exception to an airhorn or something else that will SURELY have the neighbors calling 911, but who really wants those false alarms going off when some kids touch your car or when a cat jumps on it during the night. Any other alarm will just cost you more, and produce the same result; making the robbers fear complications. In my car I have the simplest alarm which happens to always be off because it goes off on its own, and a bright blinking LED light. I also have small stickers on the windows telling them that the radio doesn't work if removed.
Another tip to avoid trouble is to hide what you have. When people don't know whats in the car its not worth it to try and get in it. Either tint the windows or get a cargo cover to hide the contents (subs, amp, etc) and remove the face off the headunit. Hide the amp well under the seat. If its under the drivers seat make sure to adjust the seat all the way back before you get out. Radar detectors usually tuck into the glove compartment too.

Another common mistake is that people go into their neighborhoods blasting their music and rocking their subs. No matter how you've hid them, people know that you have a kicking stereo system. Whats the point of hiding it if they know? Turn it off three blocks before you get home. (if its an unsafe neighborhood)

Just think about it this way. You're a robber and you see a car with a blinking light and signs warning about an alarm. Also, you can't see whats inside so you don't know if its worth the hassle. I wouldn't break into a car if it had a stock system and no gadgets. If that was me I'd just move on to the next car.

Hope this is good food for thought.