Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AIRAID Intake Tube

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIRAID Intake Tube

Anybody using one of these yet? I was wondering what the results were after installation. I have the deck plate and an amsoil filter done already and this looks like an easy bolt in addition.

http://www.airaid.com/510-934_toyota.asp
Old 12-19-2003, 03:13 PM

Looks extremely like my K&N FIPK setup. Works ok.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:18 PM

Yes and no. With this I can keep the stock airbox with the deckplate mod and clean up the intake tube all the while close the airbox if I am wheeling or in deep snow.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would first try the "Intake Silencer Removal Mod" (aka "ISR Mod"). There are a couple of ways to do it, but each is cheaper than the intake tube and it's easily reversible:

https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/techpage5.htm
Old 04-29-2004, 03:04 PM

I think it's the same as the ISR mod!! except for the fact of routing the hose's back to the intake tube!
Old 04-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Away

A while back someone installed one of these on his 4Runner. He didn't have the time or the "wanna" to make the ISR mod himself. He sent me pics. He also was really happy with the product and said that if it was any more than $85 (which is what he paid for it at Central 4WD and that included shipping) he wouldn't have bought it.

Here's some pics:

He said he was going to post them if he could figure out how to do it. He said I could post them if he didn't. It's been a few weeks since I last talked to him, so I thought now seemed as good a time as any.

Enjoy!
G
Old 04-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

You know, I like that thing. It gets rid of the "accordion" bends in the stock tube, in addition to the intake silencers. It also looks cleaner.

I bet it would fit my 96 too. I might have to rig up a vacuum line or two, but no biggee.

I guess the real question is: Would the difference in price between this and the ISR mod justify the HP gain (if any) between the two? I honestly doubt it, but it does look cool.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
You know, I like that thing. It gets rid of the "accordion" bends in the stock tube, in addition to the intake silencers. It also looks cleaner.

I bet it would fit my 96 too. I might have to rig up a vacuum line or two, but no biggee.

I guess the real question is: Would the difference in price between this and the ISR mod justify the HP gain (if any) between the two? I honestly doubt it, but it does look cool.
Yeah it looks almost OEM, like it should be there!! I wANT one now!!!!
Old 04-30-2004, 06:59 AM

Think that would fit a 3.0? Have been looking for a cleaner alternative to the one I built out of PVC. I need some dims. But it looks good.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Denk
Think that would fit a 3.0? Have been looking for a cleaner alternative to the one I built out of PVC. I need some dims. But it looks good.
I doubt it. These are pretty much a perfect fit. Maybe Downey would have something.

I bought a while back and have nothing but good things to say about it. I like the fact I could return it no questions asked if I didn't like it. I think more than anything it helped smooth out my acceleration al around. It does make it loud at WOT with the intake and the deckplate. Hopefully I can get some headers sometime soon. DAMN MODS!
Old 04-30-2004, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

One advantage that this has over the ISR mod is its not made out of metal. That mean less of the heat in the engine bay is transferred to the air in the intake, just a thought.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by steelhead
I doubt it. These are pretty much a perfect fit. Maybe Downey would have something.

I bought a while back and have nothing but good things to say about it. I like the fact I could return it no questions asked if I didn't like it. I think more than anything it helped smooth out my acceleration al around. It does make it loud at WOT with the intake and the deckplate. Hopefully I can get some headers sometime soon. DAMN MODS!

So I guess I will get one too!!!! since everyone who has it has only good things to say about it!. I'm still waiting for my amsoil filter but want more power....oohhh can't wait.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

I wonder if we could get a group buy going on something like this...
Old 04-30-2004, 02:21 PM
Away

Originally Posted by steelhead

You should install a good cat-back exhaust to really maximize the benefits of the intake. Jardine/Thorley make an excellent cat-back for our trucks. It's really inexpensive, sounds awesome and gives a really noticeable performance improvement with no loss of bottom end power. It really is all that and a bag of chips.

Truck Performance Center usually has the best prices on them and they are a lot nicer to deal with than Performance Products. The fact that their salespeople aren't idiots probably has something to do with it. TPC is also whom Jardine recommended buying one of their systems from.

Speaking of Jardine/Thorley, they are currently in the process of qualifying a header system for the 3.4L 5VZ-FE found in our trucks. I can't wait to see it.

Peace.
G
Old 04-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Away

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
I wonder if we could get a group buy going on something like this...
Talk to Damen, the guy who made my sliders. His brother is the #3 guy at AirRaid. Maybe he can help you set something up. Tell him Galen sent you. You can email him at damendman@yahoo.com

Hope this helps.
G
Old 04-30-2004, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RIGHT ON G!

If we could push the price of that tube down to to something like $50-60, I'd be in. I'm still running the "plumbing cap" version of the ISR mod and would really like to clean up the cosmetics.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:37 PM

Well guyz I just tried to order one from Truck Performance Center and they are out of stock!!!!!!!! Damn!!!!!! that sucks!!!!!
Old 04-30-2004, 04:07 PM
Away

Try Central 4WD.

Hope this helps.
G
Old 04-30-2004, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago
Try Central 4WD.

Hope this helps.
G

Thanks Doc but their SHIPPING is WAY to expensive!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I'll just wait cause I'm not willing to spend $125.00 dollas on that thanks for watching out though
Old 04-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Away

Uh, did you click the link? It's FREE Shipping on that item. Here's the link in case you can't find it in my post: http://www.central4wd.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=9438

G

Quick Reply: AIRAID Intake Tube