Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Air Suction System noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Suction System noise

Has anyone ever run into problems with their Air Suction System in their runners? Probably more a second gen question. Its the large vaccum hose that attaches to the resonator which is then run into the airbox. Lately, mine tends to make a lot of noise, from what I've read, some noise is ok, or at least when you test to see if its good by disconnecting it from the air box. But mine can be heard even when the hoses are connected, I also have a pipe and cone filter if that really matters so my hose is connected directly to the pipe, between the throttle body and the MAF. Before this custom pipe, I had fab'd up a ISR mod and ran the hose into that, without a problem. I did after a while find that the hose had somehow disconnected and was sucking "dirty" air. But no real noise was heard then, only when I replaced a broken temperature sensor and the engine light codes were cleared. Now, when the rig is started cold, it makes a very loud "bubbling" noise and even sometimes when its warmed up, it can still be heard when comin to a stop but will disappear as soon as you are at a complete stop.
My question is, maybe some dust and dirt was entered into the system and has gotten the reed valves dirty, would this be the reason for a very loud AS system? Anyone know a way to test or clean it out? Or would I have to just buy a new reed valve? or is there an all-together different route I should look into?

Any comments and advice would be great.
Thanks guys

Steve
Old 10-21-2003, 11:02 AM

I am thinking we are going to need some pictures before we can help you on this one, because I am not really sure what you are speaking about.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From your description, I'd guess that there's a hole somewhere or one of the hoses is (partially) disconnected. Is this a recent noise or has it been apparent since your last mod?
Old 10-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Well, this mod was done quite a while ago, no real problems until I switched to my metal intake pipe and routed the hoses to it. I used to have the ISR mod with the plastic, but I didn't like how it looked or was put together. I checked the hoses, and they seem to be secured and without cracks or holes. But this never happened before, even with the PVC pipe ISR mod. Even with the hose disconnected then, there wasn't any noise, now, its very loud.
If you have your haynes manual handy, in section 6-27, in the middle of the page is a picture of the AS system. The noise seems to come from the "air pipe." When the hose is disconnected, the noise is louder then when it is connected. Again, this never occured with the previous ISR mod. I think its the reed valves, that they got contaminated and are makin this noise.
Does this help any?
I'll go out and check on the small hose connected from the air pipe to what seems to be the reed valve after this post and see if thats lose.

Thanks