Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Air filter and muffler 2003 4runner V8

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air filter and muffler 2003 4runner V8

Not looking for a lot of custom modifications. But are the TRD filters worth it and do they just install easy in place of regular air filter. I heard they increase gas mileage just a little.

Also would I need a complete custom exhaust if I just wanted a little growl when I stomp on it. Or could I just replace the muffler.
Also a friend of mine always takes his older trucks and rods out ( so gets striaght thru flow) the catolitic convertor to get better gas mileage. I am in Virginia where they do not test emmissions.

Any ideas about this.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2003, 07:23 AM

I am thinking of having a Mufler shop replace the stock box with a DeltaFlow 50 SUV and then add a nice stainless or polished weld on tip.

It will be a cheap way of finding out if I like it until the Magnaflow becomes available.

David
Old 08-14-2003, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Not another "should I gut the cat" thread,

Ok, to answer your first question, yes you can just replace the muffler and have them weld in something better.

For example, I had them hack out my old muffler and weld in a glass pack (if you want to hear it, click on "exhaust movies" in my sig). Total cost: $52. Probably gained 3 - 5 HP.

As for the cat, leave it alone. You will lose low-end torque and spew toxins into the air for other people to breathe. If you just have to have better flow from your cat, get a carsound high flow cat and have it welded in. But, I really dont see the point of doing that on a new vehicle. Cats actually flow really well on today's newer vehicles.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

rayh78:

I have a magnaflow muffler and i love how throaty it sounds...so i am satisfied with the magnaflow, then I have split pipe out the rear with two stainless tips, sounds awesome

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=14431

thats the result
Old 08-14-2003, 08:51 AM

Leave the cat alone as 96 said. You will just run into problems. I went through three high-flow cats on my old vehicle, just 'cause I thought I could get better perf. In the end it cost me more than it was worth.

Just put on a muffler and a tip. Let us know how that 50 series sounds. I've been thinking about it for a while. Just waiting to get my FIPK first so we can run some numbers.

Downey should have their headers soon for the V8. They are waiting on the CARB approval.

Serge
Old 08-14-2003, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

As far as the Downey headers that are being made...does installation of headers void the warranty?
Old 08-14-2003, 09:12 AM

Let me clarify,

I did not read all of the thread so there was confusion. I would never and will never remove the cat.

The Magnaflow I am talking about is a complete mandrel bent system from the Cat back which is soon to be/rumoured to be coming out of Magnaflow soon.

I have had TRD and Borla Cat backs and had good and bad experiences. Personally, I barely notice the TRD on my 99 anymore as a lot is quiter with the twin Cat CA emmisions version that I have.

From what I can see, my 03 has twin cats so a decent weld in Deltaflow and a nice side exit tip would be perfect.

David
Old 08-14-2003, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by LIVE4SWELL
As far as the Downey headers that are being made...does installation of headers void the warranty?
As with anything else, headers will not void the warranty if they are not the direct cause of the warranty claim.

For example, if you develop a trans fluid leak and they try to blame it on the headers, then the dealer is wrong.

If you have a fried exhaust valve, then they might have something to go on.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by nrgetic99
Let me clarify,

I did not read all of the thread so there was confusion. I would never and will never remove the cat.

The Magnaflow I am talking about is a complete mandrel bent system from the Cat back which is soon to be/rumoured to be coming out of Magnaflow soon.

I have had TRD and Borla Cat backs and had good and bad experiences. Personally, I barely notice the TRD on my 99 anymore as a lot is quiter with the twin Cat CA emmisions version that I have.

From what I can see, my 03 has twin cats so a decent weld in Deltaflow and a nice side exit tip would be perfect.

David

Performance Products has a magnaflow cat-back:

http://www.performanceproducts.com/P...producttype=20

dont know if this is the one you are talkin about, but i saw it here first
Old 08-14-2003, 10:46 AM

Try buying it from PP

No , really , try it...

Me " Sell me a Maganaflow for my 03 V8 Sport puleaze"

PP' "Sure sir, just a minute...errr, its not available..."

Me "You what ?

PP " Err not available in our warehouse yet, check back later"

Me "Later today ? Later this week or Later, please piss off and quit bothering me ?"

PP " Err, later !"

Me "Later Dude, click !"

Now, just for fun, then email Magnaflow about it ...

and get this reply :

David,
We do not have a system for this as we have yet to finish our R&D on that vehicle. So I do not have any info or pictures. Thanks for your interest in Magnaflow Performance.

My reply :

You had better tell Performance Products to quit advertising one

So... hence rumoured to be available...

David
Old 08-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

haha...well that clears things up....good ole PP