Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Air box cutout....Is that bad on the engine...PIC

Old 05-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air box cutout....Is that bad on the engine...PIC

Stock 22re motor, with the bottom of the airbox cutoff. Stock filter,stock exhaust. Not worried about water , but AM I pulling in more air and maybe running too lean? What are your thoughts? I did this a month ago , and just pulled plugs, look fine (white an tan color)
Old 05-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

I bought a cheap cone type filter for my 22RE and it is fine. The computer took a few days to adjust to the increased airflow. I am not sure if you noticed a louder intake for a few days but then the computer adjusted and it got a little quieter. I personally think you are fine as long as you have some type of decent filter on it.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 86toyota

Stock 22re motor, with the bottom of the airbox cutoff. Stock filter,stock exhaust. Not worried about water , but AM I pulling in more air and maybe running too lean? What are your thoughts? I did this a month ago , and just pulled plugs, look fine (white an tan color)
If the plugs are a nice tan color I doubt you are leaning out.
Does anything give you any indication you are running lean? Pinging?
An airbox cutout on an engine should hardly add enough air to overcome the EFI system...S/C is another story!
Old 05-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys. I just was curious and wanted to be on the safe side. The reason I asked is on my warrior atv if you open up the airbox(remove lid) you should rejet it.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:11 PM

Your 22re has a "Air Flow Meter"(it measures "Air Flow",your Yamaha does not.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 86toyota
Thanks guys. I just was curious and wanted to be on the safe side. The reason I asked is on my warrior atv if you open up the airbox(remove lid) you should rejet it.
Carbs are mechanical and require manual adjustment.
EFI is electronic and compensates on its own up to the limit of the system (ie max delivery of fuel).
Old 05-07-2004, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is too funny, I was about to post a question as to if anyone ever thought about doing that same mod, and what people's thoughts were. Glad to see great minds think alike. So what are your impressions, did that mod increase your milage/power? Are you using a stock filter, or an aftermarket reusable? Your post say's stock filter but your sig says K&N.
By the way that elbow isn't doing much for you any more, I have already removed mine inside the box, you should just remove it from the S pipe at the edge of the box.
Brad
Old 05-07-2004, 07:20 AM

No, it's not bad as long as you keep it dry.

As far as the AFM goes, I think it could use a little adjusting...

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/afm/

I've yet to do this with my 3VZE, as I think the procedure is the same. I'll probably do it soon enough though, and submit a write-up for this site.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Churnd
No, it's not bad as long as you keep it dry.

As far as the AFM goes, I think it could use a little adjusting...

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/afm/

I've yet to do this with my 3VZE, as I think the procedure is the same. I'll probably do it soon enough though, and submit a write-up for this site.
How would adjusting the afm effect gas mileage? How do you know when to adjutst it?
Old 05-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by corvettelvr73
How would adjusting the afm effect gas mileage? How do you know when to adjutst it?
I personally wouldn't recomend this mod baised on my personal experience. An experienced Toyota mechanic tried to play with that spring on the air flow meter and it sliped and wouldn't stay put. It hardly ran after that and I had to get a replacement at a junkyard for $150 since the dealership wanted $550 for one. That's just what happened to me thoug and I'm sure lots of other guys have pulled it off but I am never going to mess with that thing.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by corvettelvr73
Quoted from the write-up I posted:

We suggest only adjusting the gear one tooth at a time until the correct mixture is achieved. Too rich of a mixture will result in poor fuel mileage, sluggishness at lower RPMs, and excessive exhaust emissions.
I don't know how to tell if you need to do it or not. I'm not even sure I need to do it to mine. My exhaust already smells a little stronger than before I did any mods, so I'm assuming that means I'm already running a little rich.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

That is too funny, I was about to post a question as to if anyone ever thought about doing that same mod, and what people's thoughts were. Glad to see great minds think alike. So what are your impressions, did that mod increase your milage/power? Are you using a stock filter, or an aftermarket reusable? Your post say's stock filter but your sig says K&N.
First I own two trucks , my sig is for my 86(22R carb. W/K&N) , but the box is from my 92 22RE W/ stock filter. I haven't checked milage yet. On a 4cyl I find it hard to notice any significate changes when doing minor upgrades. The gas milage prob. went down since I'm always on it since it sounds so much better now. If I added a header and cat back , I'm sure I'd notice a difference then. My 86 trucks smokes this 92.