Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Aftermarket Flares, Picture request

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Flares, Picture request

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and just picked up a 98 4runner last week. I took off the factory running boards and silly looking chrome strip fender flare things that they call "flares".

I like the look of no flares, but I think I'd rather have some type of aftermarket flare.

I really like the look of the limited flares, but am not interested in putting limited door cladding on to match.

Does anyone have pics of their 4runner with aftermarket flares on? Post them here for me to see please

Also what are some good companies and if you can post links too of personal favorites that'd be awesome too

TIA
Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
Longview/Kelso, eh? Welcome.

Anyway, check out the SR5 flares.

There is a write up somewhere on here that someone ditched the chromes and put on the SR5's, I just cannot find it right now.

You can also probably do a quick image search and find quite a few pictures around the web
Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 PM

Hey look at that, we're only a little more than an hour away from each other. Are you in the service? Not to stray off topic... haha. So about those sr5 flares... I see you have an sr5. Is that your 4runner you posted an image of? Its prettttty. And def. jealous of the SC. Do they bolt to the body? Or how do they mount? I don't mind drilling holes if thats what I'd have to do, cuz thats definately the style I'm going for. What years did those come on? Also if anyone ditched theirs I would be willing to pay cash.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:34 PM

Also if anyone is interested, I posted a picture of my rig in my albums.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bushwackers are popular and they're about the same size as the Limited flares. Only thing is they cost about $350-380!

BTW, the Limited flares didn't always have to come with the plastic body cladding. I believe all the Sport models from '00-02 came with Limited flares/no cladding like this one:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...rt_Edition.jpg
Old 01-03-2011, 04:06 PM

I am in the Army, and I drive through Longview at least once a month to go home to the Astoria/Seaside area. (Let me know if you find anything on Craigslist up here, and I could meet you half way for delivery, or bring it to you on my way home)

Yes, that is my new to me 1999. I just wrecked my 87 the Saturday before Christmas.

I cannot find the dang thread that has the write up on how to change from those flares you had, to the ones that I have.

I am pretty sure, almost positive that you'd have to drill some holes (as you would with the bushwackers). They are held on with clips and bolts, I believe.

A pair of the flares like mine, sold on this site for $100 about 2 weeks ago. Keep your eyes open, and look around on this forum, t4r.org also has a decent classifieds section, but not nearly the wealth of information this site has.

Send a message to user "DeathCougar" it is retarded how much he knows about what years came with what options and all of that sort of jazz.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
Bushwackers are popular and they're about the same size as the Limited flares. Only thing is they cost about $350-380!

BTW, the Limited flares didn't always have to come with the plastic body cladding. I believe all the Sport models from '00-02 came with Limited flares/no cladding like this one:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...rt_Edition.jpg
Thanks for the info, I never knew you could get limited style flares without the body cladding. Even though I like that look, they are alittle bulky for my tastes. The bushwackers were an option too but thats 380 bucks I could spend elsewhere right now
Old 01-03-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by A.Wilson013
I am in the Army, and I drive through Longview at least once a month to go home to the Astoria/Seaside area. (Let me know if you find anything on Craigslist up here, and I could meet you half way for delivery, or bring it to you on my way home)

Yes, that is my new to me 1999. I just wrecked my 87 the Saturday before Christmas.

I cannot find the dang thread that has the write up on how to change from those flares you had, to the ones that I have.

I am pretty sure, almost positive that you'd have to drill some holes (as you would with the bushwackers). They are held on with clips and bolts, I believe.

A pair of the flares like mine, sold on this site for $100 about 2 weeks ago. Keep your eyes open, and look around on this forum, t4r.org also has a decent classifieds section, but not nearly the wealth of information this site has.

Send a message to user "DeathCougar" it is retarded how much he knows about what years came with what options and all of that sort of jazz.
I bet that was a sad day when you lost your 87. I use to love my first gen 4runner. Thanks for the offer for the craigslist thing, I will definately keep that in mind when browsing and add that area to my searches.

I don't mind the drilling of holes, as these are a for sure thing and would be permanent.

If anyone reads this and knows of a pair of these sr5 flares somewhere, please PM me
Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 PM

Also A.Wilson, thanks for your service in the US Military!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:56 PM

I just asked Deathcougar about the flares for you.

They came as an OPTION for SR5 4Runners from 1999-2002.

And thank you for the support.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:57 PM

Ok thats good to know so i can hit up local JY's. thanks.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:31 PM

Are the flares for the Runner the same as a Tacoma?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:19 PM

SR5 front flares

Originally Posted by tc98sr5
Hey look at that, we're only a little more than an hour away from each other. Are you in the service? Not to stray off topic... haha. So about those sr5 flares... I see you have an sr5. Is that your 4runner you posted an image of? Its prettttty. And def. jealous of the SC. Do they bolt to the body? Or how do they mount? I don't mind drilling holes if thats what I'd have to do, cuz thats definately the style I'm going for. What years did those come on? Also if anyone ditched theirs I would be willing to pay cash.
I took the front flares off of my SR5 this past summer to bang out a dent from behind and fix the paint. The flares have 4 tabs the correspond with 4 tabs that come off the inside of the quarter panel in the wheelwell. On of the tabs can be seen in the picture. They are held in by coarse threaded hex head screws. I had a part number from when I ordered a few extra from Toyota but can't find it right now. The issue that has prevented me from putting them back on is that the SR5 flares don't extend as far down the wheel well as the Limited flares do. The Limited flares extend down to the bottom of the rocker panel. You can see the "gap" in the picture. I'm going to herculiner the rocker panels when it warms back up and see how it looks with the SR5 flares then. If I don't like it and you still want the flares I'll sell them to you.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Flares, Picture request-img00249.jpg   Aftermarket Flares, Picture request-img00252.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 08:21 PM

Ok that sounds great. Those are the exact ones I want. I think... Do you have a overall picture? Does anyone know where to source these besides the dealer?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by ThGdThBd&ThUgly
Are the flares for the Runner the same as a Tacoma?
No, they are not.

Originally Posted by tc98sr5
Ok that sounds great. Those are the exact ones I want. I think... Do you have a overall picture? Does anyone know where to source these besides the dealer?
Other than the dealer, I have NO idea. The dealer would be a good place to get a part number though, then do a search.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by fengine8
The issue that has prevented me from putting them back on is that the SR5 flares don't extend as far down the wheel well as the Limited flares do.
trdparts4u.com has the "mudguards" that extend from the flare, and fill that gap. I just ordered a set monday.

Toyota of Dallas runs the site.

Part numbers are:

PT413-35966-DF (DF=Drivers front)
PT413-35966-PF (PF=Passenger front)
Old 01-06-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for the same size of coverage as Limited flares, some folks refer to them as Sport flares. The SR5 flares are smaller extension out from the body.

I have the Bushwackers-I paid a body shop to mount them. Just Google "best price Bushwacker flares" and you should be able to get them for less than $380 shipped.

They use rivets and existing hardware for the most part. The front pair are easy but the rears are multiple pieces to mount up to the door and match the curve of the wheel well.

For the money spent I am quite happy with them. You'll be hard pressed to find a factory look for less, and you most certainly can spend a lot more.

Pics on my Facebook link.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
for the same size of coverage as Limited flares, some folks refer to them as Sport flares. The SR5 flares are smaller extension out from the body.

I have the Bushwackers-I paid a body shop to mount them. Just Google "best price Bushwacker flares" and you should be able to get them for less than $380 shipped.

They use rivets and existing hardware for the most part. The front pair are easy but the rears are multiple pieces to mount up to the door and match the curve of the wheel well.

For the money spent I am quite happy with them. You'll be hard pressed to find a factory look for less, and you most certainly can spend a lot more.

Pics on my Facebook link.
oh look at left also
Old 01-07-2011, 06:29 PM

any one know of any BIG flares? i need some to get rid of my ugly home made ones. )sorry to hyjack).
Old 01-08-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 99 sas runner
any one know of any BIG flares? i need some to get rid of my ugly home made ones. )sorry to hyjack).
Not a 3rd gen but those Iceland 4runners have some crazy big flares: