Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Aftermarket and Auto Insurance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket and Auto Insurance.

I was wondering. I called last month to switch my insurance (Geico) over to my new 1997 4Runner. While on the phone wth the insurance rep, she asked if there was any aftermarket upgrades to the auto. I said "no, it was all OEM."

How much does your insurance go up per month if you start claiming head units, wheels, etc? I am fanatical about saving all of my receipts and I am curious to know if anyone has any before and after examples of coverage for such additions.

I am aprehensive to call and ask because when my father calls his homeowners insurance company (Farmers or 21st, I forget) to ask if something is covered, they handle it as a claim. Beleive it or not.

Back to the adds to auto's though, any figures? Thanks.

-Stu.

Last edited by hungryStu; 12-26-2003 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:00 AM

Well, we have Progressive Ins. Great rates BUT.... they WONT insure trucks w/ plows (yes, that includes private trucks) and you cant lift/ install oversize tires. No delivery vehicles..... the list goes on and on. Basically, they want stock, safe cars and trucks w/ safe drivers. All the cash coming in, minimal going out.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:23 AM

I used to work as a claims rep at a large southern california insurance company. Their policy is that under the basic coverage you will only get OEM parts back in the event of an accident. The starting coverage for stereo equip for them is $1500 dollars. So if your stereo is valued at more you buy what is called Special Vehicle Equipment, SVE coverage and that is based upon how much extra you want to insure, lets say your equipment is worth $5000 that would be an extra $120 yearly premium. The SVE coverage also applies to wheels, tires, lift kits under 3", and everything that you can strap to you car that was not supplied by the dealer when you bought it. I never got a claim, or asked about accidents that take place while offroading....
Old 12-27-2003, 01:12 PM

Great to know Nolan. SVE doesn't sound worth it (like you said. . .) unless you have money invested in wheels, bullbar/winch, mad stereo ish, etc if your deductable is $500. This brings me to my second question.

How do I know if I am covered if I were to get keyed. Is it treated in the same manner as a hit and run.

I guess my questions sound a bit suspicious but I have just been curious about these issues for a while now. You sound like the guy to ask.

Thanks.

-Stu.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
ALFA

My insurance agent told me that in order for them to cover any aftermarket additions it should be listed as a "rider" on the policy and that my rates would not go up unless one specific aftermarket addition totalled more than $2000. Not the total sum of all the aftermarket additions, just any one that total more than $2000. I just save all my receipts and note the additions on my policy periodically and my rate is the same. My agent said that as long as I have receipts I could get reimbursed with the equipment I've added, but it is less of a hassle to note it in a rider on the policy.

Old 12-27-2003, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by hungryStu
How do I know if I am covered if I were to get keyed. Is it treated in the same manner as a hit and run.
that kind of a claim is a comprehensive, COMP, claim. COMP is defined as vandalism, fire, falling/flying object & if you hit an animal.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:01 PM

Good to know. With the variation that waskillywabbit has on his policy, I think I will just ask Geico when I get something thts worth something. Thanks guys.

-Stu.