Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

After a $2000+- tranny rebuild,...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After a $2000+- tranny rebuild,...

... I finally get my truck back. The tranny seems to be doing just fine. I didn't pay for a damn thing,... they did. Thanks to my extended warranty Now,... I get my truck back and I do notice that there is a considerable amount of power loss. I can really feel it in 5th gear seeing that I spend most of my time in that gear traveling up and down the highways. Before I brought it to them the truck had plenty of pull in 5th gear. I was very satisfied with the amount of pull my 2.7 had,... now,... the damn thing only has a bit of pull. On a flat road yea it puls but slowly,... up a small incline,... forget it,... if the truck isn't atleast maintaining speed,... I'm losing it. This is ver annoying seeing that I had to down shift to 4th a couple of time keep from slowing down. I never had this problem before the tranny rebuild. Plus I am pretty sure I am burning alot more gas now,... probably because I am flooring it more often now. I checked my air filter,.. it was dirty so I bought a new one. I got a K&N filter,... I haven't drove it in 5th on a highway yet to really test it out but I dont really feel that much of a difference. My tires are up to pressure, the engine oil is new and I havent checked the plugs yet. The plugs are new though,... I thought that I would check them anyways. So what do you guys think? What could of happened from the time I gave it to them? They said it would take them 2 - 3 days once all the parts were in to do the rebuild. They had my truck for 12 days. They told me that the master tech wasn't in or somthing like that the the mech that was going ot do it wasn;t comfortable doing the job alone. I don't know. OH,... also,... I went under the truck today and found oil all over the transfer case and some on the tranny. It was not dirty or caked oil,... it was clean light brown oil. Is there any reason there would be oil on the tranny and transfer case other than a leak? I had drove the truck 500 something miles now,... if they had spilled oil all over the place filling the tranny, you think it would be gonce by now right? Thankas in advance for your help. this is very frustrating.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:52 PM

I don't know exactly what you had done, however, I know I read some people complain about when they had clutch work done, the shop didn't bolt up one of the cases completely/ or tight enough causing oil to spin out under the truck.

Also, I noticed a slight power loss with my clutch replacement as well. Maybe its because it is newer and the tolerances are now tighter, creating more friction? I don't see why there should be a power loss, if anything one should gain power, because the parts are newer and therefore should perform better.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:41 PM

what exactly was the problem with the tranny? I am experiencing some problems now and mine is going to the dealer friday.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:22 AM

My syncrho for first was worn out,... They pretty much replaced every inside the tranny,... all synchros, seals, yadda yadda,... I sprayed the tranny and transfer case down with some simple green and will check back later for oil. But,... there is a definate power loss,... even with new K&N filter. Still didnt check plugs but I doubt that is it. Also,... I oil I have in the truck now is new but it is a different thickness,... I was using 15W and I am now using 10W because its cold out. Could that have anything to do with the power loss? I noticed on my old porsche that 15W worked alot better than 10W but never really had any power loss. I think that maybe I am losing the power through the drive train because there isno reason the for it to be lost from the engine. I dont know.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:40 PM

Anyone have any idea's why I would lose power after a tranny rebuild?
Old 12-23-2003, 05:29 PM

Tranny could be really tight. By the way. I wouldnt run a K&N. They dont perform any better than paper and they let alot of crap in your motor.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by overKILL
Anyone have any idea's why I would lose power after a tranny rebuild?
Um...if you wait another year or so, I can tell ya...that's when I plan to take manual tranny class , maybe the gears are slightly different in their ratios (ya they say they use Toyota parts, but maybe they rebuilt with aftermarket gears which have a slight variation maybe)...hey it's a guess. Could it be a different type of clutch material trying to embed itself still (kinda like a brake pad)?
Old 12-24-2003, 05:42 AM

K&N filters are bad? Well,... I have a suggestions saying that the tranny is tight,... but still,... how tight would it have to be to slow a truck down? I calculated my gas milage at 16 gallon!!! Whats up with that! Beofre that I wsa getting about 19 which is normal,... now I'm only getting 16,... I could really feel the diffence today,... even in 4th gear. I think I'm going ot call them and ask about it,...
Old 12-24-2003, 12:19 PM

Thumbs down

Check your vacuumn hoses to make sure that they are all connected and not torn. Also check your spark plug wires . Sometimes in the heat of battle wires and hoses get torn off or broken . Did you return to the rebuilder and question them? It should be under warranty. I assume it was a Toyota stealer :cry:
Old 12-24-2003, 01:09 PM

I am going to bring it back to them on friday,... the toyota dealer that it,... I will go under and look for any vac hoses or wires in general,... I don't really know this truck all to well but I will do my best. I have my haynes manual,... Hey does anyone know whereI could get the factory manual for this truck online