Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Advice Needed - 2002 T4R with bent rear axle housing

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Needed - 2002 T4R with bent rear axle housing

Looking for some advice ...

Bought this vehicle used late February. In April the rear end failed. Replaced the drivers side rear axle and spider gears in the diff. They had stripped out. Well now we've worn through a set of new rear tires in 6K miles. Should have seen the wear sooner but my son drives the vehicle, not me, and nether of us were looking close enough. Heavy wear on the outside of both tires.

Seeing the tire wear I started investigating deeper. Making measurements it appears the tires both toe in. More on the drivers side than the passenger side. On visual it also appears that the camber is off. Measuring across the front and back of the rear tires as well as center to center, front to rear on both sides, confirms issues. The rear end is already a replacement from the markings seen on it. Maybe the replacement rear end was bent? I don't see any other damage.

I have an offer to purchase a housing locally, for $75. I can then swap everything from mine to the new housing. I'm having trouble communicating with the seller the last few days and unsure if that is still an option. It is a lot more work than replacing the entire rear, but much cheaper.

I'm a bit concerned that my original rear end issues were due to the bent housing and I'll find the beginnings of axle/diff issues once I pull things apart to put into the new housing.

Debating whether to swap out the entire rear. That way, although more expensive, it is much less work, I have spare axles, 3rd, etc.

Would you tackle the housing swap or just replace it all?

Any experience with car-part.com for rear axle assemblies or other sources?

I'm in Raleigh NC. 2002 T4R with 4:10 gears, 16" wheels, abs and traction control.

Thanks
Tony
Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Either is relatively simple comparative to other repairs.

I'd just replace the housing, but the other stuff might be damaged as well.

:wabbit2:
Old 11-21-2011, 05:56 AM

I think you posted this over on T4R.org too right?

The $75 housing from Singtoe is by far the cheapest you will get this fixed for (by probably a factor of 10, I paid $750 total for a new axle assembly to fix mine). The housing swap isn't really that hard, the only extra work is moving the axles (cake), replacing the axle seals (touchy, but not difficult), and moving the diff over (never done it, but it is apparently pretty easy). Plus I'm sure Singtoe will help you with it. With all the parts, you could do this in less than a day.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:43 PM

Not sure the housing is an option ... have not gotten a response to my pm's from Singtoe since Wednesday. If I hear back I'll probably give it a try but thinking this is no longer an option.

And again, my concern is that the axle/third are headed towards failure like the last time. My son is complaining about a clunking noise coming from the rear periodically.

Got a quote on a complete rear assembly including shipping for $700 through a seller with automotix. Says it is out of a 2001 with 50K miles.

Anyone have experience buying through automotix?

Tony
Old 11-22-2011, 07:37 AM

Set to do the swap this weekend!! Talked to Singtoe today ... he has been busy. Hope there are no more surprises. Will post the outcome.
Tony