Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ADDCO Front Anti-Sway Bar Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question ADDCO Front Anti-Sway Bar Problem

This thread should only be of interest to those who have ADDCO bars.

It has been about a year since I installed the Addco bars, using the OEM ball socket end links and ES greaseable bar brackets. Yesterday when we dropped the bar to access the tranny pan for the valve body recalibration, I noticed that both clamps were cracked --- and cracked in identical locations! I cannot figure out what it is that is stressing the clamps to this degree. Is it the end links or the ES clamps? Is it the mounting locations on the frame? Is it when the suspension is fully suspended? Has anyone else had this problem. Take a look at the attached picture and LMK if you have any idea.
Attached Thumbnails ADDCO Front Anti-Sway Bar Problem-broken-es-front-bar-clamp_1.jpg  
Old 01-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiery

I'm ready to do this mod as per Jalabers write up but I think I might hold off till people get to checking thier rigs. I bet there is quite a few checking for damage as I type.

Last edited by phosho; 01-16-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:13 PM

Looks like those brackets arent heavy enough in relation to the size of the sway bar. Those brackets are taking a huge amount of stress when one side of the vehicle is at full droop or compression. So the sway bar is trying to rip those brackets off and that point is the weakest link.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:57 PM

The addco swaybar is so stiff in comparison to the stock swaybar, and I've found my brackets also have bent, but not broke. It's great for on-road, but you definitely don't want to take it off-road or any articulation situation with the bar connected, because it will eventually, as you've experienced, break the connectors at the frame. They are weak, that's for sure!

Chris
Old 01-16-2004, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by ravencr
The addco swaybar is so stiff in comparison to the stock swaybar, and I've found my brackets also have bent, but not broke. It's great for on-road, but you definitely don't want to take it off-road or any articulation situation with the bar connected, because it will eventually, as you've experienced, break the connectors at the frame. They are weak, that's for sure!

Chris
Chris,
You know I don't take my 4Runner off-roading ... I'm a poser. Sure I live on a dirt road but there is no extreme articulation to any part of the suspension at any time. I installed the bars precisely as instructed by jlabber but feel that the bracket mount locations are not where they should be with the new front bar. We need to figure this problem out because it just isn't right and if the brackets let go completely it could be dangerous. I am going to call Addco but don't have any hope for getting them to help figure it out. My gutt tells me that I need to look at the mounting holes on the frame and possibly relocate at least one of the holes. I also have considered that the OEM endlinks might be too long, but I would have to check the ones Addco supplied. Actually, I have pictures and I just looked at them; they appear to be shorter by at least 1". I may try installing the Addco links and see where that locates the bar brackets. I would still like more feedback from other bar users.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:18 PM

I just got my quick disconnects today, while installing them I noticed both of my clamps are cracked in exactly the same manner as your picture. I had stock swaybar on, with no disconnects. I think mine broke due to the articulation I subject mine to. They broke in exactly the same spot on both because it seems to be a scored casting mark or something.
Is this something that needs to be replaced? How is this dangerous, the endlinks are still attached, even if it broke completely off.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:30 PM

Fab up your own thick-ass brakets and no more worries.

Old 01-17-2004, 02:56 AM

The problem is that we really need thicker brackets, which would mean that the bushing thickness would need to be thinner that what we are using now but the same inner diameter of course. The location of the brackets on the frame could be changed, but not easily. I would just fab up your own brackets out of 1/8" or if you can find the right bushing, I'd do it out of 3/16".

Chris
Old 01-17-2004, 03:49 AM

How is this dangerous? Imagine that the front part of the bracket broke completely loose and then the stress caused the bracket to bend enough to allow the bushing to separate from the bracket. The bar _could_ drop down and then I cannot imagine what would happen next. I also think that if the bar started to float it could twist the endlinks in such a way as to damage them.

I think it is interesting that someone with a stock bar is having the same problem; however, what I want to know is whether someone who has the Addco bar and the Addco endlinks and bushings is having the same problem. To me this could be the real tell tale.

I was also thinking that an easy way to reinforce these weak points is to fabricate what amounts to a large square washer that fits directly on top of the slotted attachment points on the bracket. This would amount to doubling up on the part of the bracket that does _not_ go over the bar holding the bushing. The more that I think about this the more I think that this is all caused by the fact that the Addco bar is so thick that the bracket mounting holes in the frame are too close together to accomodate the new brackets. The other part of the equation may be the longer (OEM) endlinks, although it is usually the shorter links that increase the tension of a bar.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Last time I lubed the bushings I did not notice any issues at all with my brackets or links. I've had the Addcos installed for three years now. I will try to check tomorrow for any cracks in the brackets but we have a lot of snow here so I may not be able to get to it.

I am already using large outside diameter washers on the brackets to more evenly spread the load. At first I used normal washers but noticed that even with the nylock nuts the bolts would loosen up. I believe that the regular sized washers or those supplied with the ES brackets were not seating well enough and perhaps the brackets were moving around ever so sightly. In my case I caught the problem early enough and put on large outside diameter washers with two nylock nuts. Maybe in your case the bracket had a gotten little play in it and the movement tore apart the bracket over time?

Here is a shot showing my washer/nut set-up...
To be specific here is what I have on there. An M10 large outside diameter washer, then an M8 large outside diameter washer, then a high collar M8 split lock washer, then two M8 nylock nuts. As you can see I do not want the brackets to be able to loosen up as they did originally. The reason I worry about that are those being stated above by Peter.

Here is a shot showing the difference in legnth between the Factory and Addco end links.

Last edited by jalaber; 01-18-2004 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:14 PM
funglenn

I am somewhat concerned, when I installed my front and rear addco bars, I used all the factory hardware and bushings..... (except for the clamp, I think)

should I be really nervous.. what should I do? I took it to a reputble place to get the stuff put on.

Help

ps. No i am not kidding, the addco busings and stuff is in a box, I have had the bars on for about 5 months...
Old 01-19-2004, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by funglenn
I am somewhat concerned, when I installed my front and rear addco bars, I used all the factory hardware and bushings..... (except for the clamp, I think)

should I be really nervous.. what should I do? I took it to a reputble place to get the stuff put on.

Help

ps. No i am not kidding, the addco busings and stuff is in a box, I have had the bars on for about 5 months...
James is one who believes in over engineering his installation IMHO, for one thing, if you used the shorter endlinks you would be creating more tension on the sway bar, making them even stiffer. It is my belief that the mounting holes are spaced too close together to provide the correct purchase for the required span needed for the thicker bar brackets. Therefore, if the bracket does not have some reinforcement at the point where the bolt is closest to the beginning of the bend in the yoke it is likely to break. I also think that the balljoint design of the OE endlinks is not sturdy enough to handle the added stress imposed by the stiffer bar --- which is a 400% increase. I have no problem with my rear bar but am considering changing over to the Addco front endlinks as well as seeing if I can drill another hole in the mounting surface (if there is room) to provide the correct span for the larger mouning bracket. As it is, the endlink is canted off-center from what should be a vertical line perpendicular to level ground. If this cannot be corrected then it would imply that the bar is too long. The mounting bracket straps have slotted openings to provide for lateral adjustment in order to maintain the vertical line. I hope this makes sense.

I think, for the sake of your peace of mind, if you use really large fender washers and maybe double up on them because they are usually thin, you should be all right. I make no claims as to what is right or wrong, this is just my opinion and you must use your own judgement in the end to assure your own personal safety.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

I installed the front addco a couple of months ago before it really started getting cold. I used ES bushings and kept with the OEM end links. Several times within the first weeks the bolts on the bushings came loose and I had to tighten them on the road. Luckily I had tools with me! Eventually they just held (knock on wood) but the clamps are bent all to hell. I'm really uneasy about them and every now and then I check them still to see if the bolts are not backing out on their own. I have another set and when spring hits I'm going to try doubling up on the washers and nuts as jalaber did.

Oh yeah, to the point... I've got bending, but as of yet I haven't noticed breakage. I'll get down and take a closer look once I wash it. Things might change by the end of the winter with all the salt here, but let's hope not.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Toyota Punk
I installed the front addco a couple of months ago before it really started getting cold. I used ES bushings and kept with the OEM end links. Several times within the first weeks the bolts on the bushings came loose and I had to tighten them on the road. Luckily I had tools with me! Eventually they just held (knock on wood) but the clamps are bent all to hell. I'm really uneasy about them and every now and then I check them still to see if the bolts are not backing out on their own. I have another set and when spring hits I'm going to try doubling up on the washers and nuts as jalaber did.

Oh yeah, to the point... I've got bending, but as of yet I haven't noticed breakage. I'll get down and take a closer look once I wash it. Things might change by the end of the winter with all the salt here, but let's hope not.
Yo Punk ...
You do not need to double up (lock nuts) but you should use Nyloc nuts and at least a 1-1/2" fender washer. If you cannot get thick fender washers, then double up on them. BUT, this is just a bandaid and what we really need to do is ascertain where and why this is occuring. It is happening for a reason and it is clearly not right. When the weather improves around here (sometime in July) I will get under the truck and see what I can figure out, but with the suspension fully extended we had to use a pry bar in order to get the swaybar / brackets back into alignment position over the attachment holes in the frame. I maintain that the endlinks are too long, but we will see.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:07 PM
funglenn

People are focusing on the front, has anyone had any problems with the rear bar?
Old 01-19-2004, 01:10 PM

For what it is worth, I am working on a possible solution right now and suggest that anyone considering ordering new bushings hold off for a little while.

I have not had a problem with the rear bar; however, it is the front bar that gets most of the stress. The length of the front endlink is really critical in my opinion and going beyond the center line one way or the other can cause problems.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:39 PM

One more thing

If anyone just happens to be inspecting the area where the front brackets attach and would be willing to remove the bracket so that they could get an accurate measurement of the span of the mounting bolt holes, center to center, for the bushing clamps I would appreciate it.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:13 PM

I checked my front sway bar because of a thumping noise under my right foot. No damage or cracking but I have addco end links that are longer than stock due to the slight lift. My only problem is the bracket that mounts to the lower A arm for the addco end link can loose. Mow I have to take the end link off to secure this bracket. Also, this bracket allowes for some play and the bolt is too thin so I'm adding bolts that fill up the hole to eliminate any play. Are most lifted that cracked?

If I have time tomorrow, I will try to take measurements while I'm under there.

Last edited by lbrunner; 01-19-2004 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by lbrunner
I checked my front sway bar because of a thumping noise under my right foot. No damage or cracking but I have addco end links that are longer than stock due to the slight lift. My only problem is the bracket that mounts to the lower A arm for the addco end link can loose. Mow I have to take the end link off to secure this bracket. Also, this bracket allowes for some play and the bolt is too thin so I'm adding bolts that fill up the hole to eliminate any play. Are most lifted that cracked?

If I have time tomorrow, I will try to take measurements while I'm under there.
Forgive me but I am not sure what you are saying here.
First off, my 4R is not lifted. I do not understand why your Addco links are longer than the OE links because most I have seen look shorter by about 1". Is the end part of the bar (the part after the curve) parallel to the control arm? There should be a little play but I am not sure of the exact location you speak of. I have to think about that. The main thing is that it appears your brackets are not cracked, correct? Are they twisted at all? How long have you had the bars on?
Old 01-19-2004, 08:57 PM

What I meant was, when I ordered my sway bar, I got slightly longer end links which I believe are also thicker too. This was recommended by RichP and the idea of the longer end links was to make the sway bar/end link angles like stock to compensate for the lift. My brackets that mount to the frame are fine. I guess my only problem is the bottom end link bracket coming loose. I guess I don't apply here due to the lift but I have only had the sway bar on for 4 months so I will be watching. Just thinking maybe it was the stock end links causing the problem. I do say, when I installed the sway bar, those brackets looked pretty wimpy considering the size of the bar.
The previous post and this one is posted under the influence . Night off and too much drink with dinner!

Last edited by lbrunner; 01-19-2004 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: ADDCO Front Anti-Sway Bar Problem