Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AC is how much

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC is how much

Well I just had my dad call the shop that we always use and it's $807 for a new AC compressor and dryer (required for warentee) and labor. Honestly that's not too bad since I know a new compressor costs like $300+. The only thing is it's an intermitant problem with compressor locking up. It'll run for a few minutes and then locks up. With the AC coming on with the defroster it didn't hardly give me any problems all winter. It mainly seems like a problem when you turn the AC on when it's hot out.

I'm having my dad call the salvage yard cause they garantee their compressors and see how much the shop wants in labor to do the swap.

What do you guys think? Should I stop being cheap or see if I can get a used one.

I hate being thousands of miles away.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:04 AM

Do it yourself and save $500.

Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-A...3911.m14.l1318

It comes complete all new with 1 year warranty. Then take it to a shop to have it evaporated and recharged (cost me $90).
Old 07-29-2008, 09:11 AM

So how does you AC work when it is working? Is it cold or just cool? I've never heard of an intermittent compressor locking up. What’s the service history on your AC. I would check and make sure it is not over charged. If so then you might be flooding your compressor with liquid refrigerant rather than gas causing hydro lock. You could also have a problem with your expansion valve staying open too far. This could cause the same hydro lock problem. If your AC works fine when it's not locked up and the compressor isn't noisy when its running your problem is most likely not the compressor.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:14 AM

Well I would do it myself but I am in Iraq right now and it's kinda hard. My wife doesn't drive it too much. Maye she can wait until I get home. Mainly I am thinking of the dogs though when she goes to her moms house.

160 auto salvage just south of springfield has a "tested" and garanteed use compressor for 100 as long as a new dryer is installed. So that would wind up costing me just over 200 for geting it charged and everything. But it's hard to do it from here.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:22 AM

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. It worked fine for over a year and a half. Then one day when my wife was driving it, it started screaching cause the belt was trying to turn a locked up compressor. It might have been going on longer but I usually drive with the windows down. As far as I can remember it's cold when it works. Also it doesn't seem to happen or happen near as often when it's cold. Like when the defrost is running.

Is there a good way for my wife or my mechanically challanged dad to check that? Honsestly I wouldn't know what to look for there.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:43 AM

If you have a 3.0 I have 2 compressors laying around
Old 07-29-2008, 12:01 PM

I have a 3.4. I don't think they could use the same compressor but thanks.

Anyone know how to check the expansion valve? I don't think it could be over pressurized cause I haven't had any AC work done to it since I got it. There was about 5 months when my ex wife had it but I doubt she could have afforded to do anything plus it worked fine when I got it back.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:30 AM

Anyone know how to check the expansion valve?