Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AC Help Requested 4runner 2002

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Help Requested 4runner 2002

I need a little help understanding the A/C system.

I have a 2000 4runner, 5spd V6.

I noticed at the end of the summer the AC was not running that cold.

Read some posts, look around to look for leaks.

Debated about putting a sealant and refill in from local partsource, but decided to get it pressure tested to find the actual problem. So I had the dealer put in the dye and pressure test. The dye was in for a week or so and I could smell something but could not see a leak. Finally took it back and got them to tell me what the problem is. There are three parts listed, Replace Evaporater, Replace Receiver Dryer, replace expansion valve. Estimate for repair $2,066. + tax (dealer)

So I guess I have three options.
1. get one of those DIY kits and put a sealent in then a biodegradable equivalent. (red tek)

2. get the dealer to do it all and pay a wack of money

3. Can I just order the parts and do the install part myself, there is no colant in it... and is the condensor the rad type compoent?

Oh.. picked up the vehicle yesterday and it seemed to be ideling fast.. this morning got a check engine light.. don't know the code yet.

Tom

Last edited by tommytuttle; 11-21-2008 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Parts needed edited
Old 11-21-2008, 04:22 PM

short answer - take it somewhere else. long answer - i would take it to a shop, and have it recharged, and see how long that lasts. i would be suprised if it would cost $100 for recover/vac/charge. if that lasts all summer long, you could do that 20 times, before you cover the cost of the dealer tossing on some parts. it really depends upon how long it takes for the freon to leak out. little leaks are a pain the the butt to find. i do a/c work on a fleet of trucks at work, and it actually is more expensive for me to have the truck out of service, and my time wasted trying to find this little leak, then it is for me to just recover/vac/charge with about $12 worth of freon. it takes about a half hour to do that, and i can do it at the end of the day. hook up the machine, press a couple buttons, and walk away from it. so...my advice is to go to a local shop, have them recharge it, and see how long it keeps blowing cold. you can replace all these parts yourself. but, you should have the system evacuated before you open it up. and after you replace these parts and refill it with the proper amount of oil, you will have to place it under a vacuum, which i doubt you have the equipment to do. you can add to the system without putting it under vac, as long as you havent opened it up. i dont recommend the recharge kits from the local parts store, just because you have no idea how much to actually put in. a/c is somewhat technical. too little, it sucks, too much, it sucks. sealant - i have never believed in that junk, i dont think it works. the above is just my opinion...nothing else....do with the information as you please.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:26 AM

Thanks for the advise.. yeah it seems the dealer probably doesn't have a clue where the leak is.. I was suprised the condensor in the front was ok.. but I imagine they could smell the die but couldn't find it so they id the evaporator.

Thanks