Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ABS Unit Noise/No Start - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Unit Noise/No Start - HELP

I went out to my truck this morning to load up my camping gear and it was making some terrible noises. It sounded like clicking sounds. The cd was ejected from the cd player and so I tryed to follow the sounds. Sounded like it was coming from the ABS unit. I got in the truck and hit the brake and this made a clicking sound appear in the main fuse panel under the hood. It seemed to come from the large fuses(?) marked head and tail. I pulled the positive off the battery hoping that the computer would reset itself, but no go. The truck will not start and the dash lights will not come on.

More background: I drove through windy back roads/mountain roads fishing yesterday, but no real offroad driving or wet conditions. Last night I went for a 10 min. drive to get chinease food. Then went to bed. I suppose I might have hit the remote start button, but not sure. Otherwise it has been cold and windy but not anything we havn't seen this winter already.

Please help.

Video of part of what is going on.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got it working!

Everything is OK. Man, those sounds really had me worried.

I jumped it and got it started. I think what happened is the electric start got triggered and then the truck automatically shut itself off after it's set time (I think 10 min). However, the system still drained the battery off to the point when I found it this morning I did not have enough juice to cancel the elec. start system, let alone start the truck. At least it seems to be starting/running normal now.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to stop this system drain in the event this happens again. Unfortunately I do not know the exact brand/model of the alarm/elect. start system since I bought the truck with it already installed.

And does anyone have any thoughts on whether this happening all night long in the cold caused any kind of wear on parts that should be checked/replaced.