Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

In about 2 weeks I plan on ordering everything I need to lift my truck,...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In about 2 weeks I plan on ordering everything I need to lift my truck,...

Now,... I have been doing some reading and one thing I notices that there aren't alot of suspension lift kits for a 2000 Tacoma,... I mean ther are harldy any kits actually. I want to go with OME all the way around if possible,... but I am a bit confused here,... I want atleast a 3" lift. I went to www.xtremeoff-road.com to price some stuff for the truck. I was told the OME882 coils were stiff and would lift the front end up just above 3",... what strut would I use for those coils? The site didn't list any struts,... just shocks. You dont use shocks for a coilover right? What do I use with the coils? Now,... what about the rear? I want to lift the rear with higer arched leaf springs,... the site didn't have any leaf springs,... How do I know how much arch I need the level the rear with the front? How do I know how long the shocks should be for the rear? If someone could give me an idea of what I'm looking to buy here that would be great. I plan on buying the DIFF drop kits too,... I can drop the DIFF by 1" without having to mess with the cross member right below it? Thanks for your help guyz.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:35 AM

I can only help you with the front, as I have a 4Runner and don't know about leafs.

Going with 882's will be too stiff of a spring for the front unless you already have an aftermarket steel bumper up front or a supercharger. Reason being is that the 882's are made stiffer to hold the extra weight of a steel bumper/winch combo or supercharger. Without those, your truck will be too high in the front for the cv's to be able to handle the angle. Even with a diff drop kit (Lower's the cv angle by 1 inch) It will still be too high. Your cv boots will bust within a few weeks. I reccommend you go with 881's, as those are probably the best coils for your situation.

As for struts, I think those are the same as shocks, people just call them differently (but don't quote me on that) Even if they're different, you will need shocks in a coilover system. I think they're might be a difference with taco shocks and 4Runner shocks, but to answer your question, yes you need shocks with a coil-over system.

Coil-over system is when the shock is inside the coil.

Good luck!

btw, gotta say this, do a search using the green flashy button up there for OME, you'll get TONS of info. However I don't think a lot would be for Taco's though.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:52 AM

LOL,... Thanks. I know what a coilover is comprised of,... it's just that everyone was talking about their stuff from this site. When I went there, all I found were coild and shocks. Do you know how much lift I will get with the 881's? Do you reccomend any particular OME shock/ strut?
Old 11-08-2003, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

I too am looking for a mild lift for the 2004 Taco I am getting @Xmas. Here are the part numbers for OME..

Front Springs

880 - medium 2.5" give or take
881 - firm 2.5" give or take
882 - really firm 3+" give or take. Way to much lift and firmness with out a fron tbumper and winch.

Front Shocks

N91SC - Soft
N91S - Firm

Rear Springs - Only 1 type

15A - Drivers side
15B - Passengers side

Rear Shock - again only 1 type

N85

Exhaust bracket - FK21

Greasable shackles - GS12

Shackle Bushings - B88

Hopes this helps.

I just read your sig. The 882's will really be too stiff and give you way to much lift with your 2.7. Most 3.4's without bumpers/winches have problems with the 882's.

Last edited by rixham; 11-08-2003 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:19 PM

Thanks alot! That helped alot!!! Now,... with the 881 coils it will only lift the truck up by 2.5" or so,... if I used a spacer would a gain the same amount of travel as I would with the 882 seeing the 882's would lift well over 3? Also,... the OME rear leafs,... how high would they lift the truck? Any other springs out there that would lift to 3" but wouldnt rattle my teeth out? Mayeb downey? Thanks again,... buy you listing it gives me an idea of what to look for,... there are so many different types for toyota,...

Last edited by overKILL; 11-08-2003 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:57 PM

From the reading Ive been doing Id bet youll get 2-1/2 max from the 881's. Like I was telling you overKill your not gonna get a 3" lift without a stiff ride regardless of what you do..I dont c any problems with the 882's except for the ride especially if you run a diff drop. Remember youve got manual hubs so you have 0 problems to worry about when your in 2 wheel drive. Like I told you in my pm you might consider the 881's with a small spacer. Thats what Im hoping to try soon...The rear springs will give you about 3 to 3-1/2" lift.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
I can only help you with the front, as I have a 4Runner and don't know about leafs.

Going with 882's will be too stiff of a spring for the front unless you already have an aftermarket steel bumper up front or a supercharger. Reason being is that the 882's are made stiffer to hold the extra weight of a steel bumper/winch combo or supercharger. Without those, your truck will be too high in the front for the cv's to be able to handle the angle. Even with a diff drop kit (Lower's the cv angle by 1 inch) It will still be too high. Your cv boots will bust within a few weeks. I reccommend you go with 881's, as those are probably the best coils for your situation.

As for struts, I think those are the same as shocks, people just call them differently (but don't quote me on that) Even if they're different, you will need shocks in a coilover system. I think they're might be a difference with taco shocks and 4Runner shocks, but to answer your question, yes you need shocks with a coil-over system.

Coil-over system is when the shock is inside the coil.

Good luck!

btw, gotta say this, do a search using the green flashy button up there for OME, you'll get TONS of info. However I don't think a lot would be for Taco's though.

First of all the super charger has nothing to do with it. Go with the 882 if you want 2.5 to 3, I have 881 and only got about 1.5, so I then had to add a inche cornfed spacer. I wished I had just got the 882 with dif drop. Trust me you will not get the lift you want out of 881 and then you will have to do it all over. just trying to save you some time!!!!!
Old 11-08-2003, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by 4runner4me
I have 881 and only got about 1.5, so I then had to add a inche cornfed spacer.
Did you gain a complete inch by adding the 1 inch spacer? Or more like 1/2-3/4?
Old 11-08-2003, 07:16 PM

Well the Supercharger would add more weight onto the front of the car, therefore compressing the front springs a lot more and lowering the cv angles. And the diff drop doesn't help you that much.

Mertztr had installed 882's in his 4Runner, and his cv boots couldn't handle it. Granted it might be different for each vehicle, but I doubt yours will be able to handle 882's.

If you do a search you'll find the thread about it. Again, this is just from others experience and what I would reccommend. These are only opinions, take them if you want.

FYI I got 2 inches of lift with my 881's.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:58 PM

Well,... I was told that anything OVER 3" will kill CV's sooooo I figure if I got a 3" WITHa drop kit for the diff I would be set,... how would these 882's kill my CVs with a drop kit installed? Also,... how much does a super charger and all the air ducts weigh? It can't be all that much that you would have to upgrade from firn to EXTRA firm,... I thinkI am going to go with the 882's,... either that or I might start looking into the coilovers with adjustable height. If they are considerably more than I am just going to go with the 882's. Thanks CRUZ.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:39 AM

Ok,... I am now getting a bit nervous about the 882's,... the 882's will lift my truck up just a bit over 3",... how many of you lifted your TACOMAS up 3" or a bit more and with a DIFF drop kit installed had CV problems? The thing is that I want to be able to use my 4WD and not have to worry about the CVs. So,... the 881's will only lift my truck up 1.5",... whats the point then? I mean I am goingot be spending all this money on a lift so I would like my 3" worry free lift. The only adjustables for our truck are the SAWs and the ones in the FABTECH kit? Geez,... the SAWs would be great but thier $675 just for the front That mean I would have to but new leaf springs for the rear, shocks for the rear, and the drop kit for the DIFF. Thats Well over a $1000. Damn,... How do I know for sure how much lift I would get out of the 881s? Do you guyz know of springs that will lift my truck up exactly 3"? Am I overreacting now?

Last edited by overKILL; 11-09-2003 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:42 AM

No you're not over-reacting, it's normal b4 you make a big purchase like this. Trust me, I went through the same exact thing. But it doesn't sound like you're believing me. So here are a couple threads that I found using the the SEARCH button:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&highlight=882

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...highlight=882s

I think you should read both of those. And like I said b4, the diff drop doesn't really lower your cv's an exact inch. They help, just not a ton. Again dude, there is a lot of info that shows going with 882's is pretty risky.

And again, I got 2" with my 881's
Old 11-09-2003, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

Rob - He might actually get alittle more than 2" from the 881's. He has the 2.7L. Not much more but maybe a little. But I agree with you. Before I switched to my SAW's I got about 2" from my old 881's.

overKILL - You forgot to add the King coilovers, althought they are 850 just for the front.

Reguarding the Kings for anyone who cares. I jst got an e-mail from them and they now have direct bolt on rear shocks. I guess since SAW has there Big Bore rear shocks they need to compete.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by rixham
Rob - He might actually get alittle more than 2" from the 881's. He has the 2.7L. Not much more but maybe a little. But I agree with you.
very good point. Didn't even think about that.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
very good point. Didn't even think about that.
You know,... I was thinking the same thing,... I'm think im going to get about 2.5 out of those 881's,...
Old 11-09-2003, 01:59 PM

If you get the 881 you might as well call up cornfed and order a 1 inche spacer while you have the suspension down. Save your the time and money from having to redo it to get the lift you wanted from the get go. I wish I had actually got a 1.5 so I would have closer to 3 rather than a little under or right at 2.5 in all.

cruizin01 I got right at 1 inche of lift from the 1 inche spacer. I was hoping for a little more because I had been told by serveral people that cornfeds 1 inche gave a little more that 1". When I installed my 881 and 891 my truck looked like a hot rod. Almost no lift in the front. It looked stupid unitil I got the spacer.

now it is at least level.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the info 4Runner4me. Just makes me wonder whether I should go with the 881's with a 1" spacer or 1-1/2 to get the same lift I have now (3-1/4). Hey overkill why dont you buy the 881's with a 1" spacer and let us know what you get, you should get atleast 3". I dont think youd have any problems especially with a diff drop.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:14 AM

I will,... I'll let you know in about 2 weeks. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:11 PM

Ok,... now that I made my mind up about the coils,... whats up with the struts, shocks whatever? The standard which I believe is the firmest they have,... how stiff are they? I know that bilsteins are very stiff,... I read in an old post that someone said the OME are classified as soft struts or somthiong like that,... can anyone tell me how they are? How stiff are they? I want stiff. OH,... and about the leaf springs,... once I remove the leaf springs do I have to get the rear re-aligned? A friend told me that he is pretty sure that once I remove the leafs that I have to align it. Is this true and if so cn I do it myself? Is there an easy way to do it or should I just have someone install the rear leafs? One more thing,... for the front end,... should I use the OME 1" trimpackers or the cornfed 1" spacers? Which are better?
Old 11-11-2003, 05:37 PM

I went with the firm shocks up front. I dont think the comforts were available when i ordered mine. your gonna be pretty stiff up front anyway so I dont think itll make much difference. Theres only one ome shock for the rear. It seems perfect for me I wouldn't want anything any stiffer. I dont believe there is a 1" trim packer. youll have to buy a cornfed spacer. there is no rear alignment needed nor is it possible with a leaf spring rear end. You can do it yourself if your somewhat mech. inclined. One thing that makes it easier like I told you in that one pm is to call your local toyota dealership and order 2 front (rear) leaf spring bushings. they are 15 bucks apeice. this way you dont have to try to reuse your old ones. Just tell mike when u order your springs you want the bushings for the shackles (you dont have to buy the greasable shackles if you dont want to spend the money) but you do need the bushings. oh yeah and youll want to make a bracket to raise your LSPV (or whatever that thing is called) so that your rear brakes work correctly. I can give you more info on that later if u need. got it figured out now?

Quick Reply: In about 2 weeks I plan on ordering everything I need to lift my truck,...