Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A340 Automatic Transmission for a 2001 4 RUNNER SR5 (4WD)

Old 03-12-2009, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A340 Automatic Transmission for a 2001 4 RUNNER SR5 (4WD)

Correction: Title should say SR5 instead of SPORT
I am trying to get a plan together for a solenoid replacement on my A340 automatic transmission (on a 2001 T4R with 138K) that is throwing codes (SOLENOID B MALFUNCTION OBD Code 0755).....Yes, I know I should have changed my transmission fluid more often....I know it maybe unrelated to the state of the fluid but whatever caused it I have to fix it....But with a long divorce battle in court I just was too pre-occupied for the past few years....Anyway, that is my excuse before you guys beat me up too much :-)

My research has indicated that I have an A340 transmission (still not clear on whether it is an A340E or A340H...or some other A340? designation....Can someone enlighten me how to identify which specific A340 I have? Need to get this identified so that I can order the part....

Secondly, I want to be able to map the OBD2 codes identifiers (Solenoid A, B, C etc) to Toyota Part Numbers.....No not going to the dealer...want to get these from a solenoid distributor and therefore need Toyota Part Numbers to cross-reference against.

I did stumble on to the attached TSB that talks to Toyota designators for the transmission solenoids on the A340

From the front (of the car presumably) of the valve body:

Shift Solenoid SL

Shift Solenoid SLT

Shift Solenoid S2

Shift Solenoid S1

So is there an expert out there who can map the above Solenoids to the correct OBD2 designators for Solenoid A, B, C, etc?

Thanks!

Matt
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tc009t04A340SolenoidIdent.pdf (35.8 KB, 1077 views)

Last edited by 4RUNR_FAN; 03-12-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You would have an A340F transmission in your 2001 4x4 4Runner. To confirm this and satisfy yourself that it is correct, take a look at the sticker on the inside of the driver's door. Near the lower right hand side of the sticker, it will say: A/TM ####/A340F (the four number signs will be a combination of 4 characters [letters and numbers] defining your axle code). The A340F is your transmission code. For the part numbers, just go to Toyota (or call them) and ask them for the part numbers for all the solenoids in your tranny. If you're stuck, I'll fire up my electronic parts catalog at some point when I'm home and have time, and get you the numbers.

As far as the OBDII codes, and which solenoid to check for each code, check the shift solenoid valve No. 1 when DTC P0750 (Shift Solenoid ”A” Malfunction) is output, check shift solenoid valve No. 2 when DTC P0755 (Shift Solenoid ”B” Malfunction) is output, check the shift solenoid valve SL when DTC P0770 (Shift Solenoid ”E” Malfunction) is output, and check the shift solenoid valve SLT when DTC P1760 (Linear Solenoid for Line Pressure Control Circuit Malfunction) is output.

Just post up if you have more questions.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 03-12-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:30 AM

Thanks!

GSGALLANT

I will try and get part numbers from Toyota but the parts dept is sort of not so helpful when I am not buying parts from them....

Thank you much for the info.!

Matt
Old 03-12-2009, 06:51 PM

OK... hopefully these part numbers for a 2001 4Runner will help you out. There are sometimes errors in the Toyota EPC, so take these for what they're worth. Trust but Verify!

No. 1 Sol: 35250-30050 (Price at Dallas Toyota $67)
No. 2 Sol: 35250-30070 (Price at Dallas Toyota $67)
SL Sol: 35250-50030 (Price at Dallas Toyota $193)
SLT Sol: 35290-60020 (Price at Dallas Toyota $127)

O-ring (for the first three sensors in list above): 90301-06004 (a couple of dollars each. Not sure if one of these comes with the sensor or not).

Hopefully somebody from here that works at a Toyota Dealership can double check these for you.

Good luck.

PS. Have you checked your door sticker yet?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:39 PM

Update

Gsgallant,

I checked out the door jamb sticker and you are absolutely correct that is indeed equipped with a A340F.

I did a "slow" flush of the transmission yesterday; drain/refill/drive around 4 times (approx 4 quarts went into the pan each time)...The tranny is behaving much more normally except on the highway as it is not shifting into OD seamlessly.

I am getting the same 0755 code on the highway but the CEL light did not come on...I had a small hope that the Solenoid B would become unstuck....I am going to drive it around for the next week or so before I order the parts.....If it continues to throw the code...I will drop the pan, clean out the filter, change just solenoid B.

Thanks again for the part numbers...I will now know exactly what to order.
I will post an update once I have changed out the solenoid.

Matt
Old 03-16-2009, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by 4RUNR_FAN
...I am getting the same 0755 code on the highway but the CEL light did not come on...
That code has a 2 trip detection logic, which I'm pretty sure means it has to happen twice (during two different driving trips - with the ignition being turned to "OFF" between the two) before the CEL will come on (I may be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure that's what it means).

So when it stored the code in memory for you on that highway trip and didn't light the CEL, if you got home, turned the truck off, turned it on again, and went driving for a while, the next time that the problem arose (transmission not in the gear that ECM is calling for), your CEL would come on.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 03-16-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:53 AM

Gsgallant,

You are very right again....Will be ordering the solenoid as soon as I have an appointment with my friend to use his lift to drop the pan....

Thanks

Matt
Old 03-26-2009, 07:11 AM

Interim Update

For those that may be interested....

Master Solenoid (S1, S2, SL) Kit 52-0230-00 for A340F Transmission ordered from Oregon Performance Transmission for approx $150 (local Toyota dealer pricing for three solenoids $87+$87+$192 for S1, S2 and SL respectively); Dallas Toyota was much cheaper than the local dealer ($67 each for S1/S2 as GSGALLANT said and I never bothered asking for SL when I found the kit)

Ordered the three washers for the solenoids from the dealer ($5.37 each)....I wanted the washers quickly in case the solenoid kit got here in time for this weekend (which looks iffy) otherwise probably could have obtained these cheaper through Dallas Toyota.

So hopefully I can swap out the solenoids a week from this Sunday and be good to go....

Last edited by 4RUNR_FAN; 03-26-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RUNR_FAN
For those that may be interested....

Master Solenoid (S1, S2, SL) Kit 52-0230-00 for A340F Transmission ordered from Oregon Performance Transmission for approx $150 (local Toyota dealer pricing for three solenoids $87+$87+$192 for S1, S2 and SL respectively); Dallas Toyota was much cheaper than the local dealer ($67 each for S1/S2 as GSGALLANT said and I never bothered asking for SL when I found the kit)

Ordered the three washers for the solenoids from the dealer ($5.37 each)....I wanted the washers quickly in case the solenoid kit got here in time for this weekend (which looks iffy) otherwise probably could have obtained these cheaper through Dallas Toyota.

So hopefully I can swap out the solenoids a week from this Sunday and be good to go....
Good deal
Old 04-06-2009, 08:27 AM

Well...this didn't go so well....After getting the pan off yesterday...found out the solenoid kit I got from Oregon Performance is the wrong one....and the filter kit was also the wrong one....The only thing that fit was the gasket for the pan so I was able to sow that up....

I have sent an email to Oregon Pacific to see if they will take their kit back and refund my money...I am just not sure how to get the right solenoids without going through Toyota....But I was glad I didn't because if I had I would have been out $400 instead of $150.....

So if anyone figures out which solenoid part numbers and installs them successfully I would like to know...For right now this truck gets driven without OD because I just don't have the time. After the steering column rebuild a couple of months ago needless to say I am not feeling as warmly towards this vehicle as I had in the past 3 years!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:57 AM

Why would you want to replace all the shift solinoids?

Just get a S1 solinoid for $70 online..get some the Right Stuff Gasket Maker,few quarts of trans fluid and be done with it?

https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/

and many others on the web to choose from......
Old 04-06-2009, 10:46 AM

97ltd4x4

I was trying to only drop that pan once because I have to drive an hour to get access to a lift and a garage.....And I cannot work on the car in my parking area......I don't miss the ex-wife at all but that garage I had I really miss!! :-)
Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Something to be said for getting genuine Toyota parts...as some aftermaket parts are just junk...and getting the right ones. Cheap does no good if wrong.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:28 AM

Kit RST-52-0230 is showing a cost of $90.76 (Toyota shift solenoid kit)

however, Kit RST-52-9002 is showing a cost of $151.97 (Toyota A340 solenoid master kit)

Are you sure you ordered the right kit? Did they actually send what you ordered?

That is another reason to get genuine Toyota parts, although that's probably not what you want to hear right now. Did your local dealer confirm the part numbers that I gave you? Did you get Oregon Performance to cross reference the part numbers that I gave you against the parts that they sent you?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:59 AM

Hmmm....

Gsgallant,

I ordered RST-52-9002 based on the description given on ORegon Performance website....

Yes, I did get the one above but the solenoids in it are much larger than
the ones that I saw plus the brackets don't match up and neither do the connectors.

Oregon Performance does not have a phone number that I could find; I ordered the kit because they did note on their website that they have 30 day return policy but that doesn't help much if they don't give you an RMA # etc. I have sent two emails since Monday but no reply...I have until April 17th to get this back to them...but we will see if they have good or bad customer service....the dead silence does not bode well!

So to answer your last question...there was no way to cross-reference the part numbers as there was no way to check on the phone with them.....I took a risk thinking their catalog was accurate....Mistake on my part!

I have a few take aways from this exercise

1. Change that tranny fluid every year if I have to!

2. Don't buy from internet outfits that don't have prompt customer service (or don't list phone numbers!)

As far as the transmission goes I am not going to work on it anymore....I am not driving that truck much in the spring/summer...I will try and find a local reputable transmission shop to take a look at that transmission (that maybe an oxymoron given what I read about the transmission rebuilding business!)

3. Start looking for an AWD station wagon!

Thanks again for all your help Gsgallant! I did learn a lot through the exercise about automatic transmissions so that is worth something!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:50 AM

Oregon Performance

So no response to emails and since there is no phone number that I can find on their website looks like Oregon Performance's idea of customer service is no response.

The site does say there is a 30 day return policy....Your mileage may vary with them but at this point I cannot recommend them.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Well that sucks
Old 04-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call your credit card company and tell them the situation. They may be able to help.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:15 AM

Thanks!

I took dusty98's advice and got the credit card company involved....Let us just say Oregon Performance Transmission customer service is an oxymoron; they responded after the CC company put a hold on their charge with an email insinuating that I was trying to keep the parts blah blah...To make a long story short the parts are on there way back to the address they finally provided.

On another note...the tranny gave up the ghost yesterday with lots of dramatic lugging etc on the way to work....So the truck is now officially sidelined waiting for someone who is interested in putting in a transmission to get it rolling again....Will make someone a nice project truck. Sorry I cannot ship it but if anyone of you is local to the Boston area you are welcome to discuss its future...I am going to put it up on the local Craigslist for $1499 for parts.

I purchased a used Subaru Outback today....so I will be leaving this forum. I do wish to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge about how to keep these great trucks running....I would have liked to keep mine for a few more years but I am just plain tired of putting money into it at this stage.

Regards
Old 04-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Good luck, wish you were closer I'd buy it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A340 Automatic Transmission for a 2001 4 RUNNER SR5 (4WD)