Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'99 Coils and lift spacers

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 Coils and lift spacers

Got tired of searching around, cus it was taking forever. If someone has a post they can refer me to that would be cool too. Just wondering about the toytec front lift spacers and ome rear coils suspension option on the '99 taller coils. If i were to buy this kit... wouldn't the front be taller than the rear. Here is what I'm trying to add up. Since some of the 99 coils (which I have) are already taller than any other year stock coils, a 3" spacer up front would add another 3" to it. While the rear coils would be replaced to OME coils which add 3" lift, but here's the catch. Wouldn't the rear be lower bc theoretically the OME coil is only replacing about an inch or 2 (probably 2) over the stock already taller rear coils, and the spacer is adding a 3" difference on top of the taller front coil. Call me stupid if I'm wrong or thinking too much into this. Just something I been thinking about. Probably is a simple question to a lot of you guys. Thanks

-JWaldz

Last edited by JWaldz; 10-27-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:27 PM

makes perfect sense to me that the front could be taller. I asked this a long time ago on a different board and i couldn't get anyone to comprehend it lol, they just said it lifted 3" on any 4runner! When companies rate their lifts im not sure what year they base it off of. As a ome heavy duty lift could be a 3.5" lift for a 2002 but only 1.5" to a 1999. To answer your question you would have to find out what year they base the rear 3" lift springs on to get their lift rating. Your best bet would be going with all new coils with a combination known to give an even stance, its not a very big price difference.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Banned

the spacer would theoretically lift the front 3 in, BUT the spacer will compress your spring and produce a stiff ride and will cause the spring to sag over time. so the initial "3 in" could end up only being 2 or even 1 in of lift. i have the 882/891 on my 99 and if lifted me 2.5" all around. i also thought about the spacer route but what sold me was just to do it right the first time and it turned out great
Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 PM

Well, I'm not saying I'm not going to buy coils all the way around. I was just trying to better understand the spacer lifts on the taller '99 coils. I'm glad it makes sense though. 99Runner, you have the med coils up front and the heavy duty in the rear with no additional weight in the front or rear and it only lifted yours 2.5 all around??
Old 10-28-2009, 08:27 AM

Check out my lift in my signature.

I had the 99 tall coils before my lift. Before replacing them I was at 33 inches from ground to middle of the fender, SR5 flares. At replacement the coils had ~160k on them.

Once the new coils, shocks, and front top out spacer went in my ride sat at an even 37 inches all the way around, measured in the same spot. Tires and tire pressure did not change between measurements.

It can be deduced that if the lift provides a true 3in of lift then my coils had lost about an inch from when they were new. So one thing to cosider is how much your coils have sagged.

I agree with the earlier statement, that a 3inch spacer up front will cause substantial coil compression leading to a harsh ride and premature coil wear.

Hope this helped.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:02 AM

at stock, usually 99 4runners sit 1" higher than 96-98. 01-02 4runner are considered the "lowriders" if the 3rd gens.
I have a 98 and used 99 coils with the 3/4" toytec topout spacer it gave me appx 4 inches. ground to highest point of wheel well fender was 39 inches. it has sagged since then (10k miles) about 3/4".
For the rear I used land cruiser 80 front coils for the rear of my 4runner. they come from a 91-97 cruiser. there are many different options and most of them are color coded but really its used springs with 100+k mileage so it varies a lot. the LC coils usually give 4-5" of lift. for mine I got 4.5" and it has settled since then ~0.5" my 4runner has a slight rake to it but when I load it down it is even and NOT sagging.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JWaldz
Well, I'm not saying I'm not going to buy coils all the way around. I was just trying to better understand the spacer lifts on the taller '99 coils. I'm glad it makes sense though. 99Runner, you have the med coils up front and the heavy duty in the rear with no additional weight in the front or rear and it only lifted yours 2.5 all around??
yeah the 881 plus the top out spacer should give you 3" while the 882 should give you the same 3".. i opted to jus save the cost of the top out spacer and get the 882. the ride is not stiff IMO and rides good. the med front and heavy rear arent supposed to lift more just support additional weight. i carry stuff all the time though
Old 10-28-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll probably end up replacing the spacers with better coils in the future anyways because they WILL make the ride suck like ^99runner^ said, so if I was you, I would go for new coils now and save yourself the time, $$, and annoyance of feeling every bump in the road.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:53 AM

forgot to mention for 2 years I had a toytec 3" spacer lift that included the 3/4" top out spacer for the front. it gave me about 3.5" and then sagged to about 3". for the back I had OME 890 coils. It gave me 3.5" and eventually sagged to 2.5" it looked really bad with the heavy diaper look.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 PM

I think I'm going to avoid the spacer route at all cost and just go for the coils. I don't really want to exceed over 3" though. I do occasional offroad, especially during deer and duck season and light offroad with buddies. I'll be def. driving more pavement than anything though, so I don't want to worry about bad cv angles. I do want to get med. coils bc I'm afraid the lighter coils will sag over time cus I tow a lot (boats, grilles, and sometimes lawn equipment). Plus, I'm looking forward some time in the future to get some aftermarket bumpers. So thanks for the info guys. I think I'll settle with the 883 med fronts and the 891 med rears. Any more info would be great.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:21 PM

You're getting se good feedback here! The hard part is making the decision.

I went with the OME 881/890 setup and have been more than satisfied.

The top out spacer is at your descretion, however might I suggest you look into a diff drop kit and an adjustable pan hard bar for the rear. The diff drop will help with the cv angle and the adjustable pan hard bar will save the life of your right/rear shock shaft as well as correct rear to front alignment.

Neither are absolutlely necessary at first but should be considered for a "proper" lift. ( I have yet to purchase the pan hard bar)
Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 PM

well, im def getting the diff drop no doubt about it. I will also look into the pan hard bar. I know Sonoran carries an adjustable one and I think toytec still carries the weld on drop bracket, just depends how much I want to spend. Thanks guys for the info. Should be gettin this stuff real soon (couple weeks)

and I meant to ask... with the OME coils do you have to get OME shocks or bilsteins. I hear a lot of controversy about the shocks that work with these things. Just wondering, cus OME shocks are quite expensive. Another question is, can I run my stock shocks with the lifted coils for now until I get new ones?

Last edited by JWaldz; 10-28-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:12 PM

using the stock shocks again is not recommended. this basically will become your limiting factor in suspension travel. not to say it can't be done because I have done it before, but i've have had damaged shocks in the past by using the stock ones. To me you can get away with using the stockers in the front, but not so much in the rear.
I know OME's are crazy expensive, that's why I went down to my local auto parts store and bought bilsteins for the front and "extended travel" shocks for the rear from toytec. the bilsteins are slightly taller than the stock shocks and are much softer riding than the stiffened stocker ones. they came to be about 150 dollars. for the amount of lift you want i believe these are great options to consider.

panhard bar not so much if you're stayin appx 3" and under, not as necessary. look into hd OME coils if you're going to be towing a lot. IT WILL SAG all in a matter of time
Old 11-04-2009, 10:44 PM

etan, do you know which bilsteins you got?
Old 11-06-2009, 11:30 PM

toytec

do you guys think its worth getting the Bilstein shocks instead of the OME?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:01 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Spend the extra money and get new coils and shocks, front and rear. The ride will be much better and last much longer.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Spend the extra money and get new coils and shocks, front and rear. The ride will be much better and last much longer.

THE TRUTH.

I've had tinkered with many suspension set ups except for coilovers, just can't seem to afford that much.

jwaldz I believe that part number was bilstein BE5-2450. though i see a -2482 now and wondering about the specs on that. the strut rides great and is way softer than a spacer lift.
that strut with '99 junkyard coils and a 3/4" top out spacer initially got (ground to middle of fender with 33's---39"). now it has settled since then.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:02 PM

I ended up getting the coil lift.. no spacers. After reading some nightmares about spacers I went against it. Just waiting on the next paycheck to roll through so i can get my shocks. Thanks for the info etan. I looked them up. They aren't specifically made for lifts I dont think. Just made a little taller for 4wd trucks right? I think im gonna get the 5100 adjustables from toytec along with the nitrogen charged extended shocks.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:52 PM

so with the 99 fronts and top spacers..it will match with the lc rears? either that or 892s....I'm getting desperate, can seem to find them.

VVVVV

Last edited by Cal01; 11-12-2009 at 11:55 PM.