Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 4Runner SecurityKey and Keyless Entry FOB

Old 03-28-2010, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 4Runner SecurityKey and Keyless Entry FOB

I see a variety of posts on this subject but none that address two specific questions I have as a "Newbie" to programming keys so I apologize in advance if these have been answered elsewhere. I just bought my first 99 4Runner Limited and it came with only 1 programmed chipkey. I found a Toyota dealer that would program another key and cut it for $50 while in Salt Lake (all others wanted minimum of $98). So I can breathe a little easier.
I've now ordered and received a Toyota key blank with chip as I thought after the dealer showed me the programming sequence (and they're all over the net) I would program it myself.

Here's the first problem/question: I have yet to find anyone that will cut the key for me. So far they say their cutters have a magnet that will disable/ruin the chip. I've explained I won't hold them responsible and that I know how to program it but this hasn't helped. I'm in memory chip R&D at a US company so I know there is a slight possibility this could be true (i.e. make chip non-programmable) but this sounds like a very elaborate prevention method and more like a scare tactic/rumor mill. Any thoughts?
Second and last question is whether or not a keyless entry keyfob can be re-programmed if it is purchased 'used'? (i.e. overwrite the previous program).
I'm all for a company making a profit but when a chip in a key is manufactured for about 25cents, I think charging $50 for a key and $50 for programming that takes about 5 minutes is a bit much, particularly when it's a captive customer. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:45 AM

#1 I ordered my key on ebay for $13. Had it cut at Ace Hardware for free. Programmed it myself with instructions found online. Even $50 is outrageous.
Just go somewhere that cuts keys and tell them to cut it. If they give you that crap about magnets ruining the key...look them in the eye and say "that's for me to be concerned about, not you, cut the key please" sternly. If that doesn't work tell them your 4runner doesn't have a chip recognition system you just found a really cheap chipped key so it doesn't matter if the chip gets fried.

#2 Never programmed a fob but you wouldn't see them used on ebay if they couldn't be reprogrammed.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:13 AM

I don't think that SecuriKey transmitter/key works unless you have the SecuriKey security module installed on your vehicle. Do you already have this cus I swore they changed in '97.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:51 AM

I got a key cut for a previous car at Home Depot. Ordered the key online and had them cut it. They charge by the key-blank, so the guy didn't even charge me.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:23 AM

i got one of ebay and tried to progam using two different methods at home numberous times to no avail. i too don't want to bend over at the dealer for the 50 or a hundred but sadly i had NO luck programing at home. don't know if i got a bum key, programer got fried during cutting or i'm an idiot at programing. my two cents.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:30 PM

Thank you for the replies. One of the places I tried was Home Depot and they would not cut the key. I figured they would simply cut it for a few bucks but too concerned about damaging the chip. The guy at Home Depot checked with someone else there and they both said that Lowe's, Fred Meyer and other similar 'cutters' all have a magnet that will damage the chip and I should go to Toyota.
At any rate, I'll stop in another locksmith shop this week and see if I can talk someone into cutting it. The other chipkey I have works great and I've tried just a simple blank in the ignition just to test and found that the security system works pretty darn well. The engine would turn over but no startup. I'll keep posting what I find. I'm new to Yota but maybe I can contribute something that would help another along the way.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:29 PM

Well, I found that I needed to combine bits of two different key programming sequences but finally got another key programmed. I also discovered that the online instructions for programming the keyfob needed some experimentation and modification.
My advice for anyone else is to print off a couple of sequences if you have trouble programming a key or fob, then try them very meticulously, then jot down each minor difference you try until you succeed. For example, I discovered in programming the key that one sequence of instructions had an extra step to start the programming which was to depress the gas pedal and the brake simultaneously. After adding that to the set of instructions I had the key programmed fine. Thanks again for all the advice! This newbie really needed it.