Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 4runner all disk brake project

Old 02-05-2006, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 4runner all disk brake project

Hey guys whats up? I have a 99 4runner 4wd manual tranny v6. I want to convert the rotors to all disk brakes. I was just wondering if the guys that have done it can give me some advice. What are the best parts? where can i get them? was it expensive? was it worth it? I heard one person say one time that for it to really work i also had to change the master cylinder? I have ABS on all tires, does this matter? do i have to mess with it? thanks a lot guys!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:16 AM
Contributing Member

It can be done with a aftermarket kit, but I have yet to see someone do it with all OEM Toyota parts. Most of the aftermarket kits use calipers from some Chevy, and require you to add a T-case E-brake or get calipers that have the E-brake built in. I know there was one kit that used Supra Calipers, but they didnt have the E-brake built in.

I would really like to see somebody try and use Sequia rear calipers (they have rear disk right?) or LC 80 rear setup. The LC 80 has the same lug pattern as our 4Runners so they might be a best bet. I think alot of the reason the rock crawler guys companies that make the rear disk kits right now dont look into the LC80 stuff is they use 16" wheels instead of 15" which is what most rockcrawlers run.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few have done it but none with all Toyota stuff as 914runner mentioned. The Sequoia or Tundra rear calipers may be an option, but it would depend how the e-brake is mounted in them (if it is inside the rotor then that option is no good). I'll look into it a bit more this summer if someone else doesn't crack it first. Adding rear calipers is easy enough but the real challenge is to have a functional e-brake in the end too. All the current setups have a lackluster e-brake at best.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
How about looking into a complete rear axle swap from a 4th Gen? There should be plenty of wrecks already available and they came with rear discs. I've long thought about this but have never actually priced complete axles.

Andreas
Old 02-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aowRS
How about looking into a complete rear axle swap from a 4th Gen? There should be plenty of wrecks already available and they came with rear discs. I've long thought about this but have never actually priced complete axles.

Andreas
Im pretty sure they would be too wide for what you want. Not to mention you would have to make custom brackets if you wanted to retain the stock 4-link/panhard. So it is probably more work then its worth.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
A few have done it but none with all Toyota stuff as 914runner mentioned. The Sequoia or Tundra rear calipers may be an option, but it would depend how the e-brake is mounted in them (if it is inside the rotor then that option is no good). I'll look into it a bit more this summer if someone else doesn't crack it first. Adding rear calipers is easy enough but the real challenge is to have a functional e-brake in the end too. All the current setups have a lackluster e-brake at best.
I was wondering why the oem e-brake set up inside the rotor would be out. All you would need to do is bolt the Sequoia backing plate up the the 4R axel hosing. Everything else would bolt right up. There might need to be some fab work to get the e-brake cable to work. The biggest concern I have is the offset of the Seuoia wheel verses the 4R wheel. I know that I read somewhere, maybe Tundra Soulutions, that the 3rd gen 4R has the same bolt pattern as the Sequoia and Tundra. Just my two cents for what it's worth.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:48 PM

I have spent some time researching this. I want to put an e-locker rear end in my runner. My thought process was to go ahead and do the disc brake conversion at the same time. I know that the 4th gen runner and the new taco rear ends are too wide. I beleive that the flange on the end of the rear housing for the Sequoia has the same bolt pattern as the runner, but I don't know this for sure. My biggest concern is the offset of the Sequoia wheel. Would mounting the rear disc brake assembly on the the runner housing push the rear tire too far from the stock location? This I don't have any information on. The other thing I beleive is true is that the 80 series LC front brakes are the same as the front brakes on the runner. Any of the Toyota tech people out there that might be able to shed some light on this would be much appreciated.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm, this talk about Sequoia's got me thinking. My uncle bought 2 Sequoia's from IAA (Insurance Auto Auctions). One was a theft recovery where they stripped the interior and motor/tranny out of it. The other was a lift roll. He took the interior and motor/tranny out of the roll and put it in the theft recovered rig. So he has a entire Sequoia chassis sitting at his shop that he would more then likely be more then happy to give to me or whatever parts (ie. rear axle) I wanted off of it, as he got everything he needed out of it. I will have to go take a look at it this week.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nfenwick
I was wondering why the oem e-brake set up inside the rotor would be out. All you would need to do is bolt the Sequoia backing plate up the the 4R axel hosing. Everything else would bolt right up. There might need to be some fab work to get the e-brake cable to work. The biggest concern I have is the offset of the Seuoia wheel verses the 4R wheel. I know that I read somewhere, maybe Tundra Soulutions, that the 3rd gen 4R has the same bolt pattern as the Sequoia and Tundra. Just my two cents for what it's worth.
What you are talking about in theory could work, but there are alot of what ifs and cross your fingers items that need to be ironed out first. Rotor backspacing is a big one, but so are the diameter of the axle flange, possible mounts for the caliper and parking brake drum, etc. All in all the design gets considerably more complex from just bolting on a set of calipers and rotors. Now that is not to say at all that there aren't parts out there that will work perfectly, but someone has to have the time and money to find the right ones so as to benefit the rest of us and I doubt that person will be me.

Just so everyone undertsands what the internal parking brake setup looks like:

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0309sr_reardisc/

I found a Tacoma that had this setup but it seems they swapped out the axle to get it.
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/2004ult...co/index1.html

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-09-2006 at 04:08 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Ya if I remember right, they put a Ford 9" in the back of the Ultimate Taco, which is how they could use the Exploder rear disk setup.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

I'm currently running the FrontRangeOffRaodFab rear disc brake conversion. I have Supra rear e-brake calipers. I'm running the Full Floater deal with Moser axles, and its been really nice. I have plenty of pics, but no write up yet....still working on it.

In these shots, I didn't have time to get the E-brake hooked up.....

http://www.hunt4steve.com/99RunAct.html