Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 3.4 Idle Issues

Old 12-13-2016, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 3.4 Idle Issues

Hi all,

New to yotatech.com but I have been using the DIY section for a lot of the projects I've had for the truck. I got the truck with 195k miles on it, but its a 4X4 and a 5 speed. After I got the truck I went and got all the fluids changed. From there I changed the plugs, wires, cleaned the TB, I still need to look at the MAF but I ordered a new one since I'm changing all the belts and water pump over the Christmas holiday. Since I have done this I have the dreaded high idle issue. When I cleaned the TB, I replaced the gasket with an OEM one. Since the high idle I have, replaced the TPS and the IAC. The TPS was an OEM but the IAC was off of Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 But with the product reviews I doubt that is to blame, but I'm not taking it out of the question. The throttle cables have plenty of slack in them so I dont believe that it is a cable that is binding. I can physically push the throttle closed using the linkage which will drop my RPM from 1100-1500 to 600-750. In the picture number 1, what I have found is that the bushing seem very very worn out. I can physically move the linkage from side to side. Number 2 is the gap that I have found what leaves the TB open slightly and drops my idle to the ideal range. I have seen the forums regarding a shim being put in place, but not really specific. I have also seen a thread where a guy stated that he hit the throttle linkage with a hammer until it fixed the idle lol. What I am seeking is any advice, pictures, testimonies of anyone that has remedied the situation. I would really appreciate any and all help! Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails 99 3.4 Idle Issues-throttle-linkage.jpg  
Old 12-13-2016, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Find a thread called 'My high idle, cured!' in the 3rd gen 4Runner section. That should make some interesting reading.
EDIT: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/m...-cured-258318/

Last edited by habanero; 12-13-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:56 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Also, when you have things all nice and tight, pull the negative battery cable for 15 minutes or so, to reset the computer. I had the high idle issue, but just spraying cleaner down over the IAC fixed it for me. But it took a couple days after resetting the computer for the idle to actually drop below 1,000rpm. It started out around 1200 after cleaning my throttle body, but when I went back and cleaned the IAC, it dropped right to 1000. So I figured I was onto something. After resetting the computer and driving around for a couple days, it finally made its way down to around 800rpm.

I didn't have any slack in my butterfly valve, though.

Last edited by 83; 12-14-2016 at 11:58 AM.

Search this Thread