Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

98 2.7L exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 2.7L exhaust

hey all

i would like to change my complete exhaust headers cat back and all. i would want to keep my catylic unless i need to change it.

anyway has anyone done this before on a 2.7L auto.
where can i find these parts?

thx for the help.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:20 AM

do you have a Tacoma or 4runner? If you have a 4runner you will either have to cut the cat off from the downpipe or get a new cat because the stock cat and downpipe is all one piece.

I have heard that NWOR header is good for low end power however it is not CARB approved. Since you are in Canada I dont know what kind of emissions laws you have.
http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/triheaders.html

When i get a header I am going to go with the LC Engineering header. It is CARB approved and It is a pretty good all around header. The construction seems to be pretty solid. For alot more info about that header check out Jeff's write up.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runne...ws/lce_header/

There is also the Downey header however from what I have read on the TTORA www.tacomaterritory.com forum people are having a lot of problems like leaks.

I have the Gibson Exhaust. You can check my page for details on that my exhaust page. The only thing I dont like about my exhaust is that you have to cut it after the cat. I would perfer an exhaust system with flanges that bolt directly to the cat.

Last edited by Nolan; 07-22-2003 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

bump, I want in on this
Old 07-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

i have the LCE header on my 98 and overall i am very pleased with the performance gain i have seen with it. very good header kit, it fits perfectly, and the whole install only took me about 4 hours from start to driving it around.
like Nolan said with the cat and the header downpipe, he is correct, if you want to keep the existing cat, you will have to cut it off and then later weld it to the new header downpipe. so i just opted for LC's high flow cat, it fits perfectly. I also have a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, so overall i can say this system has worked very well for me so far.
LC does offer a whole exhaust system including headers, cat, and muffler with all the necessary piping. if you want a full exhaust system right out of the box then i would say this is your best bet. combine this with the deckplate mod and your 2.7 will finally have a chance to open up and breathe.

-Casey
Old 07-25-2003, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

I put my Downey (it is CARB approved) on in September of 2002 and havent had any issues with it, I didnt hear about any problems people were having till after I bought it, that was when I got worried.

So far it has been good to me. I have over 20k miles on it and no problems. I did have to take my runner to a muffler shop for some welding because of the crappy downpipe/cat design Toyota went with. But otherwise it has been good.

I retained the stock Cat and then went to a local muffler shop and had them weld up a Magnaflow from the cat back. The price was a lot cheaper than buyin a catback from borla or anybody else. I'm very happy with my setup so far. If the Downey starts developing problems then I'll swap it for an LC header.