Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

95 4Runner Disappointments

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4Runner Disappointments

Hi,

I bought my 95 4Runner last summer with 52K and it had a perfect maintenance record. However, I always wondered why it felt so slow for a V6. Very sluggish...

Also lately I have noticed a vibration of the steering wheel almost all the time...subtile but present and it feels as though every bump shakes the whole car...Any ideas? I recently had my rotors turned....

Thanks
Old 08-08-2004, 09:32 AM

Location: Bend, Oregon. 4mer Teufelhund, now a DoD Contractor
well if your car started shaking after your rotors got turned then i would take it somewhere to have the lugnuts re-tourqued immediatedly. Prefferably where they did the rotors and make them aware of the shaking problem. it's probably their fault. As to the disappointment over a lack of power..... welcome to the club. you are in good company there. you are a soon to be once again proud owner of a 2nd Generation 4runner. it's much lamented 3.0 power plant is actually a fairly capable motor if properly maintained. There could be one or a combination of numerous slight problems that is impairing your motor's ability to function properly. Hang in there and try to give some specific details of how it is malfunctioning and we will do our best to help you with info. Good Luck
Old 08-08-2004, 09:49 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
As a previous 2nd gen and current 3rd gen owner, I can attest to the lack of power of the 3.sl0w V6. With the 2nd gen, I towed a 3000 lb. camper plus a glass Bass boat and, despite poking up hill, it was a dependable vehicle. After 205,000 miles I sold it to a friend who has added another 60-70,000 miles to it and it still runs fine.

With some advice from the forum, you should be able to squeeze a few more HP out of her. Whenever I knew I'd be towing any distance, I made sure I had 89 octane or better in the tank. Also, I had the dealer advance the timing slightly. Both of these had a "seat-of-the-pants" improvement in power, especially pulling uphill.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2004, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You cannot turn 2G 4Runner rotors. They won't last as you've found. Get Powerslot rotors and call it a day. These have solved my ongoing brake issues...
Old 08-08-2004, 10:42 AM

I turned my rotors once on my 95 and they started vibrating and warping within 4 months. You've got to replace them. I agree with Modzilla (have to because he lives right beside me and is stuck in Iraq with me), they might of over/under torqued your lugs...take it back to them if that's the case.

The 3.0 is slow in comparison to better motors that's why I'm doing the mods I'm doing. But I only had older 4-bangers and I thought my 4Runner had pretty good power in comparison. Ignorance has been bliss for me.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

I dont have a 2nd gen, but my pickup has had it's fair share of braking woes. I too had my rotors turned and the vibration felt much WORSE afterwards. Turns out the rear drums needed to be resurfaced, and they did it free of charge since I payed to have the rotors done and the problem was worse afterwards. Might wanna check that out if nothing else seems to help.
Of course, I did all this 3 weeks ago and the vibration is starting to come back (after a rough weekend in Big Bear ) I'm ditching these pads/rotors and getting some powerslot ones with high friction pads.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:54 PM

I always wonder about these "my truck is slow" threads. Read around this site and you will see that:

1) The 4 cylinder's are slow but easy and cheap to mod
2) The 3.0's are slow and limited and expensive in their mods
3) Lots and lots of members have 200-300 thousand miles on their original engines

Toyota trucks are dependable, tough little vehicles that will take you where you want to go reliably. They are not fast. If you want to go fast, think about a different vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I understand the difficulties of making compromises. Truck or Runner? Truck or car? Comfort or utility? Speed or economy? We all end up having to make a choice one way or the other. Decide what you really want and then make your best choice.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a recent 1995 3.0 owner I feel your pain. I bought mine in April with 86K from a pilot who had all records and it was in great shape and not abused at all....but it wasn't really alive either...sorta sluggish and uninspired. So I set off to find out what I could about the best parts to properly tune her up and restore some performance.

I did a ton of research here and did the following:

Denso plugs - Autozone
NGK Wires - Taylor Automotive
Toyota Cap & Rotor - Toyota of Grapevine (www.toyota-parts.com)
Toyota Fuel filter - Toyota of Grapevine (www.toyota-parts.com)
Toyota Air Filter - Toyota of Grapevine (www.toyota-parts.com)
Toyota Oil filter - Toyota of Grapevine (www.toyota-parts.com)
Toyota O2 sensor - Toyota of Grapevine (www.toyota-parts.com)
Auto-RX oil treatment - www.auto-rx.com
Redline fuel system cleaner - Pepboys
Mobil1 in the engine - Sams club
Mobil1 in the trans - Autozone
Mobil1 in the axles - Pepboys
Brembo rotors - Taylor automotive
Morse ceramic pads - Autozone
Timken wheel bearings and seals - Autozone
Pro Comp Steering Stabilizer - 4Wheel Parts Dallas

Air box mod - See Yotatech tech write-ups section
Optima Blue top starter/charger battery - Sams
Fixed a electrical issue with the 95 3.0 - See my write up link

It seems like a lot and maybe it is - but I can tell you it made a huge difference! She runs like a champ now. Idles very smooth, starts easy and acceleration is night and day different than when I first got her. Make no mistake its still the 3.0 under the hood but it is much more livable after giving her a proper tune up. I just passed TX emissions inspections with flying colors and I hardly registered on any of the levels tested and the guy at the station told me some new cars don't test that well.....not bad for a 100K 4Runner.

Last edited by ROMAD; 08-10-2004 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:34 PM

Location: Bend, Oregon. 4mer Teufelhund, now a DoD Contractor
Old 08-10-2004, 05:06 AM
Contributing Member

I stil love my '95. Of course, it has a manual tranny. If any of you guys with low mileage '95's are thinkin' of getting rid of yours, ya might give me a holler if it's a nice, rust free, low mileage one. I've driven everything out there and my '95 is still the only thing I like stepping into.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:49 AM

Yeah, Romad's list of items is a great one. Sure, some of it has nothing to do with better speed, but all of it is good solid maintenance. Looking at the mileage on both your guys trucks at purchase, there is a good chance they've never had a tune up until you guys got ahold of them. That's probably a consideration when buying a Toyota. Sometimes they are so dependable that the average driver takes them for granted/neglects them. Obviously it is mostly enthusiasts here on the board, but some of these trucks were driven by soccer mom's all their life and rather than maintain them, they dump 'em. (foolish of them/good for us) Then sometimes we have to look in the mirror too. This tune up talk gets me to thinking that I'm probably due also. I'm pushing 230k and bet I've only done 2 tune ups. Think I'll go thumb through my maintenance history....
Old 08-10-2004, 08:56 AM

I have 152K mile on my 95Runner. Runs solid, however, underpowered. Overall very satisfied w/ the 2nd gen. There are some mods to increase HP. Make sure your tires are balanced. Could be you prob causing the vibrations.