Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'94 first time towing a pop-up trailer...advise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'94 first time towing a pop-up trailer...advise?

Thank you for looking. I need some education.

Well, finally got a pop-up trailer to show the kids a good time. I have a 94 manual 4X4 V6 with 110Kmiles. I purchased a Dutchmen 2000lbs dry weight (not that sure). The trailer has electric brakes which I plan to use.

1.) Do I need to get a tranny cooler? My research here on past threads state that only automatics need tranny coolers.

2.) What mods on the truck should I do to help me prepare for towing a trailer?

3.) My most important question. I am terrified of getting stuck climbing on a hill or freeway. I even had a bad dream once that I couldnt climb a hill. I live in Southern California. There are some pretty mountainous freeways around here. Furthermore, I recall Yosemite has steep grades as well. I am not so concerned about coming down since I have brakes on the trailer, just going up. Any advise about climbing the hills?

4.) I was told when driving less that 55 mph to turn on my harzard lights. I am concerned about pissing off the drivers behind me if I drive to slow.

Any thoughts. thank you for your time and advise.

Last edited by arielb1; 10-25-2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think a tranny cooler is available for manula tranny, there are no external lines to connect it to. I have a t100 with a v6 auto and it had pulled alot more than 2000 pounds. Its not terribly quick but I never had a bit of trouble achieving any legal speed. I'd imagine with a manual you'd be just fine.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by arielb1
Thank you for looking. I need some education.

Well, finally got a pop-up trailer to show the kids a good time. I have a 94 manual 4X4 V6 with 110Kmiles. I purchased a Dutchmen 2000lbs dry weight (not that sure). The trailer has electric brakes which I plan to use.

1.) Do I need to get a tranny cooler? My research here on past threads state that only automatics need tranny coolers.

2.) What mods on the truck should I do to help me prepare for towing a trailer?

3.) My most important question. I am terrified of getting stuck climbing on a hill or freeway. I even had a bad dream once that I couldnt climb a hill. I live in Southern California. There are some pretty mountainous freeways around here. Furthermore, I recall Yosemite has steep grades as well. I am not so concerned about coming down since I have brakes on the trailer, just going up. Any advise about climbing the hills?

4.) I was told when driving less that 55 mph to turn on my harzard lights. I am concerned about pissing off the drivers behind me if I drive to slow.

Any thoughts. thank you for your time and advise.

I towed a 2700 lb (loaded weight) Fleetwood pop-up cross country this past July (Eastern N.C. to Southern California). I have the same set up as you, a 5 spd V-6 and it did fine. It did struggle up the steep stuff but overheating was never an issue even in the hot climates. This was with the a/c full blast and my 4runner loaded with gear and Dobermans. I ran it hard the whole trip and it never missed a beat. Don't worry about mods, just gear down before the RPM's drop too low. You've got low miles like mine so don't be afraid to give her the whip. You can turn your hazards on if you want, probably a safe thing actually. Screw the other drivers behind you, they'll just get where there going 5 minutes later.

Let me know how your trip goes I've been itchin' to take mine out in this part of the country.

Last edited by toddowaddo; 10-26-2005 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:42 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I towed a 2800 lb (dry) Jayco with my '90 V6 manual. You certainly didn't want to be behind me on hills but otherwise it did fine. My truck was stock. The only thing I did before I towed (I also towed a fiberglass bass boat) was to fill-up the gas tank with premium 1 or 2 fill-ups prior to going on long trips with the camper. It seemed to have some "seat-of-the-pants" extra pep.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

You should have no problem with the manual transmission, as stated above just don't lug the engine.

I don't know about flashers . . . maybe when you're really struggling up a steep grade. But I always have my headlights on when I'm towing, hoping that it'll keep idiots from pulling in front of me.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Make sure the wiring is all good, nothing like trying to figure out why the brake lights aren't coming on in the middle of nowhere. Had some issues on my 90 & it sucks to be driving slow, in the dark on a back road with light that are only half working.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:25 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
NO, don't use your flashers just because you driving less than 55. Half the RVs and rubberneckers and blue-hairs on the road would have their flashers on if that was a good rule to follow... They are intended to be emergency warnings - only use them if you are a hazard to others. If you are going a few miles an hour slower than impending traffic, you aren't a hazard. If you are going 25mph when everyone else is trying to go 65 - then you are a hazard. But it should not be an issue - 2000 pounds and a low profile is nothing as far as towing with that truck - you'll do fine. I towed way more than that regularly with a 22RE. (and yes, THAT was slow!)
Old 10-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

I learned much today. Thank you everyone...beer is on me. I'll buy.

I dont need a tranny cooler and I should worry about them hills.

Thanks again. I am looking forward to my first camping trip in my new/used trailer.

Regards
Old 10-27-2005, 08:34 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
You shouldn't Need a bigger tranny cooler for that trailer - but if the budget allows for it - it's a very good idea. Never hurts to have it, might save your trans someday.