95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

91 Runner doesn;t wanna move??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 91 Runner doesn;t wanna move??

Hey all...

Just looking for advice from the pro's.

I have a 91 4runner about 275 000 Km on it, Just had the Tank redone as it was leaking now Saturday I went to pull into a lane felt a hard bang (like someone rear ended me) and the Truck would not move ??

Only way to get it to move is to put it in 4 hi then I can move forward or back??

i can hear a rumbling sound when I put it in gear not like gears stripping but a quieter rumbling sound??

I had it towed back to where i had the tank done in the hoped it is something they "forgot" to put back on or tightn up??

I love my Runner but it seems to be costing me on repairs now??
Do you guys think it's time to look again. I've had it for about 4 years and loved it, first vehicle I can truly say I "care" about..

Thanks

Marc
Old 11-10-2003, 09:34 AM

Sounds like the rear end went out. Thats why it will only go in 4x4. Its just front drive now. Put the car in gear,try to move and look under the truck. Is the driveshaft spinning and the truck not moving? If so its the rear end. Or, if someone was doing work near the gas tank, maybe they damaged/unhooked the u-joint.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. I think it's a little more than a coincidence that something in the rear end blew out after a shop worked on it. I'd say they forgot to tighten up your driveshaft or something, and something broke. As highland stated, if the driveshaft turns still while you're moving, then it's likely your rear-end has blown. Probably won't hurt it to drive it around as FWD I wouldn' think (put the truck in 4x4) if it's a blown rear end until you can get it fixed, but I'm not sure, might want to consult others about it.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

I agree.

Runner moves --> Runner worked on --> Runner wont move

Way too coincidental.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Runner moves --> Runner worked on --> Runner wont move
ROFLMAO THAT IS SO FREAKIN TRUE! i have so many experiences with that. yea make sure everything was put back together properly. ~KyLE
Old 11-10-2003, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the quick replies...

From what I could tell I don't think the driveshaft was turning?

When It is in gear and I try to move I can hear a something moving under the truck but of course I can't see anything.

WhenI had my wif try and move it I did not notice the driveshaft move. So I think it is something at the front??

If they removed the driveshaft to get the tank out would they have removed the driveshaft completly? Or does it allow enough room and sorta swing down??

Thanks

MArc
Old 11-10-2003, 10:20 AM

Just called my mechanic

He is just pushing it in now.

He says it looks like the driveshaft is spinning and it may be the crown or axle is broken??

He is not sure yet as he has not gotten under it.

This sounds like $$$$$...

Oh noooo... I am never gonna get to put any toys on it cause I gotta keep fixin it....

Marc
Old 11-10-2003, 10:28 AM

Make sure you find out who needs to pay for that before you hand over the money. If it's the gas tank service that caused it, tell me them they're paying. Don't just bend over.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:35 AM

Im trying to figure it out.

I returned Runner to the same place that removed the tank. I wanted to make SURE there was no way they could say someone else did something.

I just got her back about a week ago from the Tank work.

I know that on my last Oil change the guy was warning me that the breather was all blocked so he replaced it and extended it up into the wheel well. (I think that is a mod you guys talk about??)
He sais it looks like no one has checked it for a long time, although I go every 5000 k for LOB and the 30 point inspection which I just blindly assumed would include any areas that requires lubricant???

My problem will be I don't know enough about this to prove my point against the shop. )In other words if they say it wasn't there fault how can I prove it??)

They had it for 3 days and I had a rental so I did not see them remove the tank or anything else for that matter?

Any one of you guys remove your gas tank? What exactly has to come off in order to get the tank completly out and some of the lines replaced?

Thanks

Marc
Old 11-10-2003, 10:51 AM

If they did the extended breather wrong (blocked some how) it could possibly blow the rear seals. This would drain the fluid and cause damage to the diff. Was there any oil leaking from the brake drums or slung in the wheel wells? In doing this mod or their 30 point check did they forget to refill the diff if they had drained it?
Old 11-10-2003, 11:01 AM

Good ??

I don't recall

Again I stupidly just assumed that they would have made sure it was OK and was topped up if required???

I did not notice there being any wet spots however the day I had that done (about 1 1/2 months ago) it was raining so I would not have noticed at any rate.

Unfortunately I am just one of those duffusses that assumes that if I take it to a shop and pay a "pro" that they take care of whatever it is and in doing so do it correctly so it does not cause more problems...

I wish I knew more about the mechanics of the tuck (Not that I don't want to) , I just don't have time to...

Maybe it's time for a career change???

Thanks

Marc
Old 11-10-2003, 11:25 AM

Just got the bad news... Broken Axle???

Well how the hell did I do that?

I have been off road once and to that extent you guys would even laugh to say it was off raod.....

Is $250.00 canadian a good price on a used replacement axle??

Thanks
Old 11-10-2003, 01:49 PM

I've never looked for a used axle, so can't help you there, but I want to know details. What did they say?
Old 11-10-2003, 05:26 PM

Don't have all the details yet ...

I dropped in tonight and talked to my mechanic and he said he has seen this before but he does not know what caused the axle to break.? He says it is the driver side reaer axle.
My driveshaft is spinning and the diferential is working but the axle at the wheel appears to be broken? He can hear the rumbling sound at that point. He cannot see inside to tell me more but he did look through a drain plug and saw that the diff appeared OK.

He said I should change the differential fluid as it was pretty dirty I did suspect that I have just been waiting on it as all my mechanics always said it is not of high importance (with respect to other issues I have had..)

Any rate he located one at a wrecker for me at less than half the price of the dealer plus the wrecker had it alltogether ?? whereas my mechanic said likely he would have to rebuild parts with the dealer one as it would have only been the axle and none of the housing (I think he said??)

I'll try and get more information on specifics tomorrow.

Just my luck, every time I think of making a mod something major goes and sets me back about a grand.....

Marc
Old 11-11-2003, 05:58 PM

Latest update.

Apparantly the teeth or spikes on the axle that connect to the differential were all broken off??
He found pieces of them when he removed the drain plug from the differential.

He has replaced the axle and is going to fill the diff then run for a bit and flush it and refill again and see if we get any more debris.

Any one else ever have this happen???

Is this an indication of abuse earlier in the trucks life???

Thanks

Marc
Old 11-11-2003, 07:34 PM
CTB

Are you referring to the axle splines?
Old 11-11-2003, 07:38 PM

Whatever's cooking over at that mechanic's shop, smells a little funny to me...
Old 11-12-2003, 04:41 AM

Splines ??? That may be what he said

He said the metal on the diff is tougher that the "splines" on the axle thus they got broken off???

He does not know why they broke off???

I know my diff breather was clogged for who knows how long until about a month ago and the diff fluid was pretty dirty???

Could that cause this??

I do a little towing of a tent trailer about 2500 lbs but I found the Runner just didn't have enough speed on the highway so I dont pull too often.

I don't go off road with her at all. I do about once a week go to a dirt road put it in 4hi and drive for a bit just to keep it all lubricated. Occassionally I put it in 4 low and crawl for about 50ft.

Other than that I don't think I am hard on it???

Alot of stop and go on the gihgway though...

Thanks

Marc
Old 11-12-2003, 08:58 AM

Well, you do have a fairly decent amount of miles on it, so over time things will wear, I just still find it quite coincidental. Usually when things break, they do so under stress, unless there's another reason for it to break.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Something's

Quick Reply: 91 Runner doesn;t wanna move??